1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously considering going back for a PhD... (Update: and now it's in motion)

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Flambeur, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Calnell

Calnell Member

^^This is great. Thanks!

2. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I was a little confused about what they meant by "behavioral strategy" first but it all makes sense now. Interesting syllabus, definitely seems to very much be a "strategic organizational behavior" class, micro-oriented, with some market/sociology-oriented stuff thrown in. I think :)

3. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Part of the problem is that I'm not in the field, but I happen to be taking a class in it, so I don't really know about where the bounds of the discipline lie (especially relative to the biases that might or might not exist at my program). I might end up doing a minor concentration in Management when I start my program but, right now, I probably only know enough to be dangerous.

That said, in my experience it seems like economists are a lot more interested in questions of competitive strategy (performance) while the field of management asks questions about why organizations end up the way that they are (isomorphism, resource competition, etc.). I hope I didn't lead you guys too far off the mark; we'll have to catch up again after y'all start your programs.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Anyway, I guess I can post an update now. Can't believe it's been over 1.5 years since I've made this thread. Also can't believe how stupid I was and how little I knew about the academia, but we all have to start somewhere.

It has been a long road, but I'm happy to report that I will be starting in a PhD program sometime this fall. I have worked hard for the last year to make myself into a great candidate, and it has paid off very well for me - I've received multiple offers, including several from programs with fantastic reputation.

I'm nearing the end of the decision-making process and will be choosing which school I will be going to pretty soon. I feel fortunate because I would be happy attending any one of the programs I've been admitted to, so there are plenty of reasons to be excited. At this point I'm finished with the corporate thing - I have done everything from running my own businesses to working in large and small companies, and at this point I need an intellectual challenge that only academia and research can provide. I'm walking away at a high point of my career, and I'm absolutely sure that it's the right choice. It will be interesting to go back to living like a poor grad student (well, kind of) but I can manage, and I doubt that I will have much time to waste on frivolous things anyway.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Going back to school was the best thing I ever did.

Enjoy it. And congrats!

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Thank you, gentlemen. I know it will be somewhat challenging being a poor (although well-funded) doctoral student after building a decent career in the corporate world, but I know it's the right step for me, especially in the long term.

I was actually amazed at home many of the faculty members took a similar path, many took 5-20 year detours through their first careers before ending up in academia.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Some of my friends would claim that two masters degrees are enough, but who are they to tell me?!?! :slayer::slayer:

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Flambeur, Congrats! Sounds like you're ready for a great learning and life experience. Without a doubt, my grad school years were among the best of my life. I learned a lot, and had fun, too. No regrets whatsoever. Enjoy, and all the best to you.

As for your friends? Don't listen to them.

11. Calnell

Calnell Member

Congrats! I know what you mean....I have 2 masters and when I mention going back for a PhD my wife and friends groan. After 15 years of working in the financial services industry, I'm bored to death. I know that's not enough reason to go back to grad school, but it's at least enough to start seriously exploring the option.

Good luck

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Congrats! Look back on the dumb stuff and laugh. I will refrain from telling you the dumb shit I thought and did in my application process. It's embarrassing. :)

In this case, the end is all that matters. Enjoy.

b

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Thanks! It just really makes sense for me on so many levels - I just think academic research fits my personality/skills much better than most other occupations, I like the freedom/independence, and overall it's sort of a lifestyle decision... I can definitely see myself doing that even when I'm 70 and being happy. We'll see, maybe I'm just naive.

14. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Way to go, bro! I often shit on people for making stupid decisions on here but this is honestly a case where I think you're on the right track. If you want something for the right reasons and know how to get there, it's good to go for it. Congrats!

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I agree, besides it's a great profession with enormous opportunities.

16. Calnell

Calnell Member

You should do an online PhD. I hear they are the wave of the future :D

17. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Thank you, gentlemen

:slayer:

18. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Bringing this one up from the dead again for the PhD students. I'm in the middle of my first semester. My coursework is interesting, but I feel like a hamster on a wheel when it comes to my research.

Flambeur-how are you enjoying your program so far?

Any other business PhD students among us?