• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

serious question - when did you become a man?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking about Jekyll's idea of becoming a hobo. its pretty obvious that he is a boy (no offence meant). but everyone is refering to him as a boy, and I sort of picture him about as capable as my 7 year old. the same with a lot of the posters here who are in their teens or early twenties - I don't think that they see themselves as men.

from my perspective, I saw myself as a man from a bit younger than that - probrably 16 or 17. certainly at 19 I don't think that anybody would have been concerned about my safety if I had chosen to cross the US on railways as a hobo.

what age did you feel that you were an adult? just curious.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting there I think, but not there yet. I still rely on my parents heavily for advice and support both monetarily and mentally. I don't think that people mature as fast as they used to. I'll probably still call my parents home "home" until I'm in my mid twenties.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"They say you come twice the first time - and now I understand. I came once inside of her, then I became a man"

-Murs

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. I like to see myself as a rather independent kid, but I guess I see manhood as the ability to be totally self-sufficient (even if one chooses not to be so). Without college and whatnot, I'd be pretty fucked in the real world, although I hope I'd be smart enough to figure out how to get by.

FWIW, I'm 15.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I first thought of myself as an adult at 17 when I moved out of my parents' house.
Then I thought I was an adult, or at least further along the path, at 23 when my career started to blossom.
Further milestones and self-re-evaluations came when I got married, and again when I became responsible for my employees' welfare, and then again when fatherhood came into the picture.

Each time I look back and think...how little I knew back then.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'd say 22 when I started paying my own way and living alone. By the time I was 24 I was supporting a family so I certainly felt like a man by then.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I think I first thought of myself as an adult at 17 when I moved out of my parents' house.
Then I thought I was an adult, or at least further along the path, at 23 when my career started to blossom.
Further milestones and self-re-evaluations came when I got married, and again when I became responsible for my employees' welfare, and then again when fatherhood came into the picture.

actually, that's a very good answer.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of being a man. If someone is supporting themselves and living on their own, are they a man? Not sure...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Depends on your definition of being a man. If someone is supporting themselves and living on their own, are they a man? Not sure...

I guess it comes down to your definition.

my difinition came down to self sufficiency - I don't think that that is the only, or the best. the idea of the discussion would be to look at others.

Vito

Reaction score
Every boy becomes a man when he starts to solve more problems than he creates. For me, it happened at approx. age 30.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I dunno, you're an adult when you're capable of reproduction and awarded the title by society but beside that the definition is rather nebulous, even to my mind. We've invented adolescence so is it time to fragment adulthood like those nice marketers do?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
Every boy becomes a man when he starts to solve more problems than he creates. For me, it happened at approx. age 30.

good answer

Originally Posted by Thomas

sweet answer

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never--I'm a little boy who never grew up who has made his living for the past 30 years putting out picture books for little boys who never grew up!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived on my own half-way around the globe for a rather long period of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads