Serious question that's going to make you all angry.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

People should do whatever makes them happy ans should be able to spend their money however they want to.

As well, people should, if possible, stop worrying about what other people do or how other people spend their money. Failing that, they come across like sour grapes.

2. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Uh......I buy these things because I like them and I can afford them. Do I really need any other reasons.

+1

-LR

3. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

The expensive shoes and expensive watches feel better.

4. peezie

peezie Senior member

Part of owning nicer things that require upkeep, and part of the reason why the status of those pieces is what is is, is precisely the upkeep. Part of the mystique in owning a Ferrari for example is the $10k/yr cost of ownership. The fact that these items require such high degrees of maintenance is part of the appeal. This is similar to why a quality meal at a quality restaurant, meticulously crafted, is regarded in higher esteem than the average fare at Houlihan's. It's the effort involved, not just the materials. Generally for the owners, it's actually the effort undertaken by others to maintain your stuff. It's all about the FU factor.
    If you actually have to ask such a question to know the answer ... you don't really deserve the answer.
    Usually people that ask these questions don't want to know the answer anyway.

5. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

who's angry?

i have the money and i like to spend it. dont need others' approval or to rationalize the decision

+1

Why the hell do I need to rationalize with the OP who clearly can't afford nice shoes + watches.

6. Star

Star Senior member

I have a Rolex sports model watch and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I have 3 pairs of C&J shoes and I enjoy them.

Although I have a cheap banged up swatch watch and crappier shoes , I have absolutely no regrets with any of the 4 above mentioned more expensive purchases.

I am at a fortunate part of my life where I can make those purchases; however, be assured that I took from no one to make those purchases.

7. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

^^^ California native hasn't the cachet it once had.
    Fortunately we don't make watches here.
    It's been downhill since Zorro. - B
    The wine still seems to come out just fine! [​IMG]
    Lol. That's it, we're Environmentalists! [​IMG]
    INOOO that's what I'M SAYING! The next hipster that's asking about your shoes being real crocodile, say you did it for the environment.

8. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

What about soccer games? Why people pay the tickets when they can watch TV?

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

I cannot explain the feeling of complete "Win", when being the best dressed ape out there. It is glorious.

Being OCD also helps.

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

This serious question has made me ANGRY.

Meet me at the Duane Reede on the street corner adjacent to your apartment for the ass kicking of your lifetime! (Ass kicking comes with complimentary shopping trip inside said Duane Reede, and apologetic gift purchase of a new George Foreman grill).

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I'll always vote for buying the more expensive shoes since they usually look nicer. A shoe made of buttery leather with stacked wood heels is going be a lot less generic and cheap looking than a shoe containing bits of plastic, rubber, and cheap leather. Who wants their shoes to look like they came from some chain store in the mall?
    But, but....stacked wood heels would be characteristic of cheap shoes...and to some extent (and with some exceptions) so would 'buttery" leather.[​IMG]

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Lol. That's it, we're Environmentalists! [​IMG]
    It's not really an unthinkable aspiration. If you knew how heavily dependent on the petro-chemical industry the shoe manufacturing sector was, you'd think again. Yet at the same time, it is the downward pressure on prices that marketing and a culture that values the moral victory of a "bargain"as opposed to recognizing quality as a worthy goal in and of itsownself--putting style over substance IOW, that forces manufacturers to move their plants overseas (where no one can see what they do or how they build shoes [​IMG]), pay starvation wages, and use raw materials that in some instances could not be made or sold in the US simply because environmental laws would restrict it. Leather is a natural, renewable commodity that can be made with natural, renewable, biodegradable tanning agents, yet in many localities tanning is more tightly constrained than plants producing solvents, dyes, plastics, etc..

13. nayr1982

nayr1982 Well-Known Member

Part of owning nicer things that require upkeep, and part of the reason why the status of those pieces is what is is, is precisely the upkeep. Part of the mystique in owning a Ferrari for example is the $10k/yr cost of ownership.

The fact that these items require such high degrees of maintenance is part of the appeal. This is similar to why a quality meal at a quality restaurant, meticulously crafted, is regarded in higher esteem than the average fare at Houlihan's. It's the effort involved, not just the materials. Generally for the owners, it's actually the effort undertaken by others to maintain your stuff.

It's all about the FU factor.

Usually people that ask these questions don't want to know the answer anyway.

There is little mystique or glamour in paying $3,000 to replace a cracked headlight unit...

14. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

Uh......I buy these things because I like them and I can afford them. Do I really need any other reasons.
    [​IMG] I think, therefore I am; I earn, therefore I can. What one does with their own money requires no excuse or justification. OK, cliches all, but no less true. Take watches for e.g. Design + Mechanical mastery = value, and its also an emotional value, the "pride" of owning a piece of history and/or master piece of machinery (take, for e.g., a vintage Rolex or a modern Brequet); sure, your cell phone or blackberry tells accurate time, as does a quartz if telling the time is all you want; and arguably one need not buy a Porsche to get from A to B when the city bus will do. Same with shoes, but then, to each their own. The question begs another question, i.e., why some people are so obsessed with what others do with their money. Luxury goods are about emotions as they are quality and workmanship, a sense of pride and individuality (self-expression); if one thinks there's no value in being on the open road in a turbo-charged sports car, well then, you fail to understand the point of it all - does one 'need' such a beast? No. No more than the French "need" their wine, but they do because they can. As much a part of history, as it is tradition. So do as you want and what you can afford to do (whatever makes you happy, right? I do because, well, I do, as should everyone, depending on one's outlook/limitations, which needs no excuse.

15. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

While this can be true in some cases, I do find it odd that I still wear (cheap) clothing that I purchased 8-10 years ago and it hasn't fallen apart in any way. But if I were to ask, "Should I buy these Cole Hanns" I'd get 50 replies telling me that they will fall apart in 4 months and that I should buy something that will last 30 years..

My brother went against my advice last month and bought Cole Haans. Within one week the leather was "flaking" off the shoe. They look like garbage already. All to save $100 by forgoing the Allen Edmonds.