Serious question that's going to make you all angry.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

If I want to buy some thing, I can. I have money! Pure and simple. Do I buy things simply to impress? No! I worked to hard to get my money!

Hard to argue with cold hard truth when articulated by a master wordsmith.

Game. Set. Match.

2. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

3. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

If I want to buy some thing, I can. I have money! Pure and simple. Do I buy things simply to impress? No! I worked to hard to get my money!

Ok!

EZ

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

What about watches? If having my watch serviced every once in awhile costs the same as buying a new Seiko in the same duration of time, what's the point of having the more expensive watch?

You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot.
    The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.

5. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot. The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.
    AND they keep less accurate time [​IMG]

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

^^^ California native hasn't the cachet it once had.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

^^^ California native hasn't the cachet it once had.

It's been downhill since Zorro.

- B

8. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

If I could find shoes that looked great for $50, then I'd buy 5 pairs. Until I do, I'll stick to my more expensive and a hundred times more elegant shoes.

Totally.

9. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot. The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.
    Bah. Maybe some of us are genuinely infatuated by tiny machines that tell time? I don't think anybody has ever looked at my Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Ultra Thin and been all like "OMG HE'S A BALLER!" You are right about the break more often and costly to repair part, though.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Bah. Maybe some of us are genuinely infatuated by tiny machines that tell time? I don't think anybody has ever looked at my Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Ultra Thin and been all like "OMG HE'S A BALLER!"

You are right about the break more often and costly to repair part, though.

But, you are a baller.

[​IMG]

- B

11. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I'll always vote for buying the more expensive shoes since they usually look nicer. A shoe made of buttery leather with stacked wood heels is going be a lot less generic and cheap looking than a shoe containing bits of plastic, rubber, and cheap leather. Who wants their shoes to look like they came from some chain store in the mall?

However, cheaper shoes have a big advantage that I've yet to see anyone mention. With an expensive shoe that you repeatedly resole, you may be stuck with the exact same style for 10 to 20 years. Are you truly confident that both popular fashion as well as your own personal style will not change over several decades? I know many here in the MC forum pride themselves on not slavishly following trends, but to believe your own personal style will remain static for that long strikes me as stagnant and depressing.

Anyway, my point is that you buy the more expensive shoes for the look and not cost savings or even status. But the ability to resole makes wearing the nicer shoe cheaper than it appears at first glance.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I pity losers without stacked wood heels.

- B

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

You buy them if you like them and are willing to pay for them. That said, my one pair of John Lobb Premiers seem all but impervious to regular wear.

14. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

"Expensive" shoes are better than cheap shoes. They look nicer, they feel more comfortable, and they are not made by children in windowless factories who eat maggots and rice. As they can be repaired and last longer they are a better choice from an environmental standpoint than disposable shoes.

Lol. That's it, we're Environmentalists!
    [​IMG]

15. Mute

Mute Senior member

Uh......I buy these things because I like them and I can afford them. Do I really need any other reasons.