1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Serious question that's going to make you all angry.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 9, 2010.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Money can’t buy friends, but you can get a better class of enemy.

Spike Milligan, of all people

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I reserve my contempt for those people who truly deserve it...

The Canadian guy was an idiot anyway...

We're not angry enough tonight...

3. meok

meok Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a $1400 pair of Lobbs isn't demonstrably better than a $200 pair of AEs. I'm just saying it isn't 7-times better.
    Why do such x-times comparisons matter? I don't ask if the $20 box of prophylactics are 4 times better than the $5. I ask rather if the difference in quality is worth $15, Sure that 97%->98% perceived improvement in protection isn't four times better (per the price ratio) but it may still be worth paying $15 dollars for (per the price difference).

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

The Canadian guy was an idiot anyway...

We're not angry enough tonight...

I was more amused than angered by Mr Fat Cat Canadian's absurd points of view.

[​IMG]

5. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

We don't have a tea party in Canada, ... or Sarah Palins either, thanks.

Yes, but if Sarah gets on her roof and stands on her toes... guess what she can see?

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

Yes, but if Sarah gets on her roof and stands on her toes... guess what she can see?
    Glenda the Good Witch of the North.

She claims it's Russia. Now I know that's possible from some points in Alaska ... but one is more likely to see ... well ... your point is taken.

7. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Only idiots buy the most expensive.

The wise only pay what they think it is worth.

Quality is an obvious difference, at least to me. My Tricker's, EG, Alden, GG, JL feel better than my Allen Edmond.

Those shoes have the quality that I appreciate. They happen to be more expensive. I didn't buy them because they are expensive. The price is correlation it is not a causation.

I also have Gucci-s too because they have a more modern style for street wear. Again Price is just a correlation and not causation.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Quality is an obvious difference, at least to me. My Tricker's, EG, Alden, GG, JL feel better than my Allen Edmond.

Those shoes have the quality that I appreciate. They happen to be more expensive. I didn't buy them because they are expensive. The price is correlation it is not a causation.

I also have Gucci-s too because they have a more modern style for street wear. Again Price is just a correlation and not causation.

Correlation to what? What you think they're worth? Well, that's pretty obvious unless you ONLY use money to judge what to buy with no regards to styling or even coherence between pieces.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

Pardonez-mois?

I think your comment has convinced me to pay more than an item is worth ... to ensure that idiots like you don't have one just like it.

10. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Bring it down to calculation. In European money:
    1 pair of C&J: €500
    cost per resoling: €65 (at least, at my cobbler)
    over 15 years, assuming you resole every three years: €825

1 pair of standard department shoes: €100
    Lifetime: 1 year
    over 15 years: €1500

And this is before we start talking about the environment, animal health & welfare (the leather, y'know), etc.

+1

11. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

What Palin sees from her rooftop is AMERICA -- though she and her family do come to Canada for the healthcare. SO... wrong address, Lasbar. Uh, we have social welfare and healthcare up here-and all those taxes to go with it. That Cat looks like WC Fields (give it a top hat, I think). Oh, one last thing about Canada ... we sure can dance, and on Ice too -- Can you Americans do that? Well, can you? Mama Britain can, but can you Americans do that? Uh ..... NO. Then, we are the first nation of hockey, not you .... (and Palin's a good source of amusement for the whole world, Lasbar: still yours!!)

12. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

I reserve my contempt for those people who truly deserve it...
    One comment, and only one: the only thing you said that is right is that I WAS/AM born into it; you can masquerade around as a turtle ninja comic character (or is that world of warcraft (WOW) PAWNZ all you like; mental illness or drugs, or don't care what. Take your little circus act / hiding behind the avatars to your own fantasy world ...., contempt? Stop mistaking me for someone who gives an iota for anything you have to say, at all. No need for us to correspond, or discuss anything at any time, at all. On that-and only that-we are agreed. tl/DR: this idiot/wanna be Japanese Shuriken/comic book ninja can show him/herself to the door, and trust it won't let it hit him/herself on the way out. DO NOT ever speak to me again, or ever. AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Now, as a British born CDN, when a bunch of Americans are all riled up, heh, last time was 1776, right? On that, I know better ... see you in the Olympics, 2014, and in fine sporting fashion wish you luck in the rematch [​IMG]

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I approve this thread.

- B

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I feel that it is always more preferable to buy something made by someone who is skilled in his craft and takes pride in what he does -- then your purchase adds value to their life.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

One comment, and only one:

the only thing you said that is right is that I WAS/AM born into it; you can masquerade around as a turtle ninja comic character (or is that world of warcraft (WOW) PAWNZ all you like; mental illness or drugs, or don't care what. Take your little circus act / hiding behind the avatars to your own fantasy world ...., contempt?

Stop mistaking me for someone who gives an iota for anything you have to say, at all. No need for us to correspond, or discuss anything at any time, at all. On that-and only that-we are agreed.

tl/DR: this idiot/wanna be Japanese Shuriken/comic book ninja can show him/herself to the door, and trust it won't let it hit him/herself on the way out. DO NOT ever speak to me again, or ever.

AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE:
    Now, as a British born CDN, when a bunch of Americans are all riled up, heh, last time was 1776, right? On that, I know better ... see you in the Olympics, 2014, and in fine sporting fashion wish you luck in the rematch [​IMG]

Huh?

This guy has got to be trolling/sockpupetting or huffing solvents, possibly a combination of the two. I guess I can spot them in the early stage, I assume most will agree with me now that he went into full-on crazy mode.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Huh?

This guy has got to be trolling/sockpupetting or huffing solvents, possibly a combination of the two. I guess I can spot them in the early stage, I assume most will agree with me now that he went into full-on crazy mode.

He is quite entertaining in a funny kind of way...

He is focused and I like that...[​IMG]

17. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

Fuuma: You have been put on notice. Govern yourself accordingly.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

You have been put on notice. Govern yourself accordingly.

I love psychopaths,stalkers and serial killers...

19. entrero

entrero Senior member

What about an angry teen?

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Fuuma: You have been put on notice. Govern yourself accordingly.

Dude, you're not for real, stop trolling.