• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Question: How to look like a (partially eccentric) genius w/o appearing weak?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most individuals are relatively shallow and first impressions are based mostly if not entirely by your appearance. If one wanted to appear strong/confident yet clearly a bit eccentric (in a independent thinker / genius type way).. How would one go about doing this?

I anticipate getting a lot of bashing from this question but if anyone has a serious opinion that is helpful I would really appreciate it. Thanks

bp352151.jpg

t_keene08.jpg

JamesRogers.jpg

atheist_geo_soros.jpg
biz039a.jpg

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoke a pipe?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a tie made out of human skin.

sloane3

Reaction score
Based on the pics you posted I suggest

1. wearing a bow tie
2. being old ugly white guy

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3
Based on the pics you posted I suggest

1. wearing a bow tie
2. being old ugly white guy

maybe some circular oliver peoples glasses

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clearly a bowtie and a bad haircut should suffice.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the appropriate glasses would work. perhaps even always wearing peak lapels as well w/ a conservative colored cloth

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
i think the appropriate glasses would work. perhaps even always wearing peak lapels as well w/ a conservative colored cloth

Now you're being too contrived. The point is to make it effortless. Something tells me you will not be able to pull it off, especially with your new bespoke suits. Eccentric geniuses cannot be bothered with the bespoke process.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ted, this cannot be learned.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreeing with the above two posts in that surely true eccentricity is innate, not something studied, you can cultivate eccentricities you already have, but not put the image together with a bunch of rules.

I had several rather eccentric relatives, one of whom was a noted snappy dresser and respected man about town, their eccentricity all sprang from their own natural preferences, habits and opinions.

Maybe find any existing small eccentricities - find things you like that others do not, or are not fashionable or conventional and then emphasize them. Eccentricity is surely carrying certain traits, whether in behaviour or clothing beyond what others do, and neglecting other traits, as the eccentric individual views these things as being more important than most people do, or not worthy of their consideration.
I don't know if I have expressed that very clearly, sorry.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Now you're being too contrived. The point is to make it effortless. Something tells me you will not be able to pull it off, especially with your new bespoke suits. Eccentric geniuses cannot be bothered with the bespoke process.

+1

Eccentric people are just eccentric. They don't wake up in the morning and think 'what can I wear today to make me look eccentric'...they just wear what they like and that just happens to be stuff that's perceived as eccentric. If you wear the same stuff, but without really liking it, then you won't be confident in it and you'll just look stupid.

Admiral Kelvinator

Reaction score
I think this falls under the category of "if you have to ask..."

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that Michael Milken in the first photo? In which case, this serious question demands a serious toupee.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from your photos, I would say wear a power suit, slick your hair back, and throw on some flock of seagulls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads