• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Question: Hammock as traditional bed replacement?

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their traditional mattress/bed with a hammock?

I'll be moving into a new place in a few months, and I'm really contemplating going for a hammock. I've done some initial internet research and like what I've read, but of course, most of the info is from websites that are trying to sell hammocks.

I have chronic back pain that stems from a childhood injury and am rarely comfortable on traditional mattresses. I'd love to try one of those thereputic memory foam deals, but those things are way too expensive for me to afford right now.

And yes, I know that entertaining a woman in a hammock will not work, but sleeping soundly is my #1 concern right now so I can deal with it.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am not a professional, but I would think that sleeping in a hammock, which sort of forces a curvature into your spine, would be really, really bad.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I am not a professional, but I would think that sleeping in a hammock, which sort of forces a curvature into your spine, would be really, really bad.

+1 I herniated a disc in my back a year ago. I find I get a poor nights rest and back aches after sleeping on soft mattresses that allow my spine to bend. I much prefer a firm mattress. YMMV.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lack of lumbar support will absolutely destroy you in the long run.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
I did try hammocks in college because it felt like a great way of maximizing space... I never had any back discomfort in my life until 2 months into that experiment. let me just say, you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also make it difficult to boan!

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
bless_coyote_hammock.png
drool.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yeesh. That's one step up from baller wastebaskets at least..

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i did it for about 3 days in college. THought to replace the frat house lofts with a hammock. After about 2 nights my back was fucked and I was always fearful some drunk ass would come in and dump me out of it.

dont do it

pruppert

Reaction score
Memory foam is not really prohibitively expensive. I think I bough my mattress, pre-herniating my disk twice, for less than 300. It's not name-brand, but it was the most comfortable mattress i've owned. A hammock pretty much forces you to sleep one and only one way too, i don't think i could cope.

Ditto to a firm mattress when you herniate a disk. The memory foam was nice, once the pain was manageable, but I honestly spent most of the first week or two sleeping on the floor because it felt better.

If you can swing putting a few hundred down for a mattress, check Overstock or the like.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually did the hammock thing for several months.
Not good for the back.
Not good for boaning.

Also, sleeping nude in a hammock can lead to some, um, interesting entanglements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads