• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Crimes Against CM

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a centralized thread to which we can refer n00bz who commit some egregious offense against traditional menswear. This can be used as a reference whenever somebody says, "what's wrong with black shirts?!?" Here's what I've got so far:

- square-toed shoes
- matching tie and pocket square sets
- black suits
- black odd trousers
- black or any other dark shirts
- jackets that don't cover your rear end
- ties worn without jackets

Anything else?

This should be reserved for truly awful stuff, not venal and controversial offenses like navy odd trousers or gray odd jackets.

MRMan

Reaction score
While I completely agree with your list, providing a valid explanation or at least some justification for each sin would further strengthen this thread.

sanchito

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a centralized thread to which we can refer n00bz who commit some egregious offense against traditional menswear. This can be used as a reference whenever somebody says, "what's wrong with black shirts?!?" Here's what I've got so far:

- square-toed shoes
- matching tie and pocket square sets
- black suits
- black odd trousers
- black or any other dark shirts
- jackets that don't cover your rear end
- ties worn without jackets

Anything else?

This should be reserved for truly awful stuff, not venal and controversial offenses like navy odd trousers or gray odd jackets.

What if one has a robust rear end like I do?...I'm good with SC covering a little more than half of my butt.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea for a thread. Hope it all works out--happy to help if I can.

Now if we could get a "I need a suit for $300-$500" consolidated thread, we'd be in business...

Garasaki

Reaction score
As a newb, one thing I would appriciate is a resource that gives you some tips on how to wear certain things.

I mean procedurally.

Like do I leave a blazer buttoned when I get in the car or not...?

Ivar

Reaction score
I would strike "black or any other dark shirts" (casual navy shirts look fine) and "ties worn without jackets" (looks fine indoors) from that list, but the rest I'm on board with. I would add "shirt darker than tie" and "colored satin ties" (some exceptions to this rule, but golly they aren't many ...).

Ivar

Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is a great idea for a thread. Hope it all works out--happy to help if I can.

Now if we could get a "I need a suit for $300-$500" consolidated thread, we'd be in business...

The SF101 article on how to buy a suit is kind of aimed at this, but a consolidated list of options 3-500 that are half-canvassed or better would be great.

As a newb, one thing I would appriciate is a resource that gives you some tips on how to wear certain things.

I mean procedurally.

Like do I leave a blazer buttoned when I get in the car or not...?

General rule is button when standing, not when sitting.

I would strike "black or any other dark shirts" (casual navy shirts look fine) and "ties worn without jackets" (looks fine indoors) from that list, but the rest I'm on board with. I would add "shirt darker than tie" and "colored satin ties" (some exceptions to this rule, but golly they aren't many ...).

All of this is for wearing with at least jacket. In that context, navy shirt is rarely very good. With a tie, definitely bad, for the reason you mention.

Ties without jackets indoors is fine I guess since you've probably got your jacket at your desk. But the jacket is included in what you're wearing that day.

Colored satin ties don't rise to this level, as the dark ones are nice at night.

FillW

Reaction score
The SF101 article on how to buy a suit is kind of aimed at this, but a consolidated list of options 3-500 that are half-canvassed or better would be great.
General rule is button when standing, not when sitting.
All of this is for wearing with at least jacket. In that context, navy shirt is rarely very good. With a tie, definitely bad, for the reason you mention.

Ties without jackets indoors is fine I guess since you've probably got your jacket at your desk. But the jacket is included in what you're wearing that day.

Colored satin ties don't rise to this level, as the dark ones are nice at night.
How about when wearing a doublebreasted jacket?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How about when wearing a doublebreasted jacket?

Buttoned at all times.

- suits without ties
- light tan shoes with dark suits

I'll go with "business suits without ties". Summery suits without ties are fairly well accepted, although I'm sure not universally.

I agree on the second point, but I'm not yet sure if it's egregious enough to be on a list with square toed shoes and black dress shirts. Opinions?

Balfour

Reaction score
I'll go with "business suits without ties". Summery suits without ties are fairly well accepted, although I'm sure not universally.
Agreed.

Summery suit without tie can work okay. Casual non-summery suit without tie not so much, but agree not as egregious as a tie-less worsted business suit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads