• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seraphin Leather Jackets - Appreciation Thread

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the model they do for Corcos but it would be easier for me to go and order from Paris, do you know if it is possible?

dawei94

Reaction score
I really like the model they do for Corcos but it would be easier for me to go and order from Paris, do you know if it is possible?

It is most definitely possible but it’s not common I think, tell them that you’ll be in Paris but in your home city plus in the other cities you travel to, there’s no store that carries their products and you really admire their offerings

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @dawei94, I think it's always better to visit these kind of showrooms / by appointment only ateliers knowing the possibilities beforehand than simply asking: "can I buy directly from you"?

dawei94

Reaction score
Thank you @dawei94, I think it's always better to visit these kind of showrooms / by appointment only ateliers knowing the possibilities beforehand than simply asking: "can I buy directly from you"?

i think it’s a better experience to order from them directly as well, they have not just a selection of current season jackets, but the entire collection plus a large collection of historical models, and for any modifications they can immediately advise on both whether it’s possible as well as whether in their opinion it’s good from a style perspective (but they will do it even if they don’t think so, if you really prefer it that way. Also, when you see the stockroom of different skins and materials, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the options (for such a small and under the radar brand, I was stunned bu how huge the inventory of materials was), which you just couldn’t possibly know about when ordering from a retailer

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have experienced/handled makers up to the level of Seraphin?

I can only think of Melina / Rifugio and maybe Mandelli.

dawei94

Reaction score
Do you happen to have experienced/handled makers up to the level of Seraphin?

I can only think of Melina / Rifugio and maybe Mandelli.

No unfortunately not, this is my very first leather jacket order (of any type), and between Corcos and the Paris atelier Seraphin is by far the most accessible to me, I haven't even heard of some of the others that you mentioned. I will say that based on looking at the selection available at their atelier, everything looked both very luxurious in materials (so not a rugged motorcycle / military jacket aesthetic) as well as very well made, similar to other high end French craft goods (I personally have experience with Cifonelli and Lavabre Cadet).

The one other thing to note is that I went in trying to basically make a more "luxurious" / less rugged version of a black Iron Heart CPO jacket (https://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4095.0) with some modifications to make it more to my liking, and they didn't have anything quite like that. While it wouldn't have been that hard to modify one of their existing designs to what I was looking for, they didn't really want to do that (which I get, they don't want to produce designs of other people), so I ended up walking out with an all black cashmere varsity, which tbh I also wanted (most varsity jackets have either leather sleeves or contrasting color somewhere, it was surprisingly hard to find an all black all wool varsity). So the only thing I would say is to find a base model that you like at least 80-90% and then make small modifications (interior & exterior colors, materials and linings are all fair game, small things like zippered / non-zippered pockets and other stuff like that are ok too, but don't expect to design your own model)

dawei94

Reaction score
Ordered a Seraphin blouson through Sartoria Corcos back in April through his NYC trunk show and just received it today. I ordered it in a dark brown suede with a silk lining (rather than cashmere, which would be warmer) and asked the pockets to be tweaked (normally, the zipper teeth are exposed and there's a semicircular stitching around the pocketbag; I asked for the semicircular stitching to be removed and they told me they could do it if I switched to a pocket that has a welt that covers the zipper). I actually like the covered zipper and the zipper teeth are very shiny (as can be seen on the main zipper) and a bit too flashy for my taste (not nearly enough to be dissatisfied with it, but enough for me to think that if I could choose any zipper, I would definitely choose something less shiny). Fit was adjusted by Kotaro and it looks quite good and fitted. It comes with a very nice brown twill garment bag as well as a high quality wooden hanger, both with the Seraphin brand on it. Kotaro also showed me an example picture of the same jacket but in black suede.

(above is a double post from the Sartoria Corcos thread).

I also have a black cashmere varsity style jacket coming soon that was direct from Seraphin, will also post pictures of that when it arrives

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Seraphin.jpg
    Seraphin.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 484

dawei94

Reaction score
Has anyone used a waterproofing spray on their Seraphin jacket? Which one do you recommend?

Similarly, what do people use for suede brushes? The same ones as for suede shoes?

MCBC1

Reaction score
Has anyone used a waterproofing spray on their Seraphin jacket? Which one do you recommend?

Similarly, what do people use for suede brushes? The same ones as for suede shoes?
For suede I have just used suede brushes.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the rough retail price of a Seraphin leather jacket in France, and is there any slight savings to buying one in France? A friend told me he saw EUR4,000 for a leather jacket in Lyon.

Johnny80

Reaction score
Depends on the type/style of the leather
You can find from EUR2k to over10k

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any benchmarks, including gauging whether a store is selling at a steep premium or whether you should pull the trigger and drop a few thousand if you find one in-store that you like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads