• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seraphin – Somebody Must Know!

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was probably three or four years ago I saw some gloves made by Seraphin when we were in Paris. I didn't buy the gloves. I said to myself, "I will get them when we come back through Paris." Of course, I forgot about the gloves by summer's end when we came back through Paris on our way home to California.

All of this leads me to ask about Seraphin. I understand that they are based in Paris and as well as their own label, they manufacture for Hermès among other notables.

Other than that, the company and its president, Mr. Zaks, seem rather obscure and even elusive. I've never discovered a website for Seraphin. Their goods are sometimes represented and sometimes not at Bergdorf when I stroll through. The very few Seraphin items I have are outstanding in their quality.

Am I alone in my inability to learn more about the company and its wares? Do they have regular distribution and retailers in America? Do any forum members have some information for this curious fellow?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try Rjman in Paris

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a Seraphin shearling at Neiman Marcus recently so Bergdorf must not be the only US retailer.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Try Rjman in Paris

Thank you, rnoldh. However, a prior to posting search of the Style Forum archives as well as the archives of AAAC and LL yielded (among other things) the linked August 2006 remark #3 from RJman. I also considered his comments on Seraphin in the Freedom Reports.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...light=Seraphin

Originally Posted by Dmax
I have seen a Seraphin shearling at Neiman Marcus recently so Bergdorf must not be the only US retailer.

Thanks, Dmax. Your remark underscores some of my frustrated concern. It seems that distribution of Seraphin goods is irregular and seemingly inconsistent. Seraphin is here today and gone tomorrow. That may be due more to Seraphin's inability to work with retailers than to the retailers themselves. I would love to know.

mussel

Reaction score
Someone reported at the Manhattan sale thread that BG is having several models of Seraphin on sale at around half price.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
T4phage knows a lot about them but he plays it close to the chest
devil.gif
Seraphin has no website. Hermes apparently holds a controlling interest in Seraphin. Before my defection, I canvassed shops in the US to see what Seraphin they had. We'll leave Hermes out of this as their Seraphin items are quite a bit more expensive, because they're Hermes. Johnapril is also a fan of Seraphin.

The shops I contacted regarding Seraphin in the US were
Wilkes Bashford, SF
Raleigh Ltd, Indianapolis
Bergdorfs

I think Louis Boston, Barneys and a few other shops had them, although in small quantities. There was a small shop in Montreal that supposedly had them. But their only stand-alone shop is in Moscow.

I very much doubt you will find gloves by Seraphin in the US. The only items of theirs you will find will be their leather jackets.

Demeter

Reaction score
I'll take one for the team -

I'm in Montreal next weekend and I'll find the shop you're talking about, RJ. I can't remember the name, but it's right on Peel.

I'll ask the reps about the company. With any luck, they'll have some tidbits of information we'd find useful.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nevermind, RJman came to the rescue.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake

musicboohoo[1].gif
"He's not a tame lion..."

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
T4phage knows a lot about them but he plays it close to the chest
devil.gif
Seraphin has no website.

Thank you. I recall your similar remarks in last December's thread, Who Makes The Best Leather Jackets???, posted by nighttrain7404.

Originally Posted by RJman
Hermes apparently holds a controlling interest in Seraphin.
If that is so, then we may have a De Beers sort of situation in that distribution is tightly controlled.
laugh.gif
Oh, well. I would simply like to find a retail store that regularly offers Seraphin without the Hermès prices!

Originally Posted by meaculpa
I'll ask the reps about the company.
Thank you for your offer to do some research for the forum. I look forward to the results of your investigation.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake

May his wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
I'll take one for the team -

I'm in Montreal next weekend and I'll find the shop you're talking about, RJ. I can't remember the name, but it's right on Peel.

I'll ask the reps about the company. With any luck, they'll have some tidbits of information we'd find useful.

Montreal has one shop dealing Seraphin: it is the store one door left of L'Uomo on Peel St. Can't recall the name of the shop, par Benhaussen, or something.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seraphin can be found all over France. I have found shops dealing his work in Paris, Chablis, Lyon, and Monte Carlo (Monaco).

You don't visit his workshop and you don't get a Web site.

Personally, I prefer the recluse and inconsistency of his work's appearance.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe you'll accept Zilli as a substitute?
devil.gif
Either way, I recently saw an ad for Seraphin in Vogue L'Uomo. It featured a gaudy crocodile skin and suede jacket.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen Croc Seraphin jackets. They also made an incredibly expensive peccary leather jacket a few years ago. If their only shop is in Moscow, they may be targeting a clientele that likes the flashy. Perhaps we will see a double-collared Seraphin jacket sometime soon?

To be fair to Zilli, their leather jackets appear to be wonderfully made. The designs are sometimes questionable.

I believe Seraphin made some leather jackets for the Dunhill Heritage Boutique a few years ago (ie the vintage Motorities leathers). However I think they've gotten rid of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics