1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Septieme Largeur footwear - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gdot, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mct358

mct358 Active Member

Here are some pictures of my recent visit to the shop in Paris. I was traveling on long distance so I chose to spend a day in Paris and get myself a pair of 'raw calf' double monks...those shoes I took to Mr. Paulus Bolten for Patina. I'll picture those later.

Patina: Miro loafer normal stiching
    [​IMG]

Patina: Miro REVERSE stiching
    [​IMG]

Last 199 Double Monks, 1/2 Grained
    http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/en/pa...charles-12-graine-forme-199.html#/uk_homme-75
    [​IMG]

Random pics around the shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Norweger stitching for winter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bag looked so sweet and spacious....You will not guess the price :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

^ Thank you very much for the pictures.

1 person likes this.
  3. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Senior member

Just got my pair of burgundy and black suede double monks... maybe the flashiest pair of shoes I own now haha. It helps that they were on their winter sale and ended up being under $200 shipped to the US. Only took about a week to the west coast!

Some photos of the new pair with my black adelaides that I got when I visited the store in Paris. Both on the 199 last.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. Bureaucrat

Bureaucrat Senior member

@SidewinderX

Nice ones! I'm actually looking at the burgundy monks myself. Can you comment on the fit? I heard that the 199 last is on the narrower side and I'm torn if I should size up or not. I wear the following sizes:

Carmina Oscar 7.5UK
    Loake Cannon 7.5UK
    Herring 024 7.5UK
    Meermin Hiro 7.5UK
    Sanders KEN 7.5UK
    Loake Swing 7UK

Should I go up to a size 8? The Sanders and Herrings fit a touch wide, the Oscar last on the other hand is the best fitting.

Thanks!

5. mct358

mct358 Active Member

I have the 199 in double monks. When i tried them on i actually chose the same (or even EU1/2 sz smaller, cause they didnt have half EUsizes) than normal. The last felt narrow but for some reason i think the actually shoe is tint bit longer so the narrow part didnt come to effect. I chose 45 which is either uk 10,5 or 11 in Grenson, alfred sargents, vass, loake

6. palmdodo

palmdodo Member

[​IMG]

I got exactly the same pair of Double Monk on their winter sale. Overall the fit / quality is very good. However, it seems there is a wooden nail missing on the left out sole(on beveled waist). I am not sure if it is critical to affect daily use(on rainy day, for example.), Should I keep it or ask for a replacement? thanks in advance, guys.

7. mct358

mct358 Active Member

Thats a definite invitation for dirt and moist to go in. Any shoemaker will be able to put a new nail in though if the hole inside is not damaged. In any case you should contact the store and get their opinion. They should cover the costs whether its local repair or u shipping them back for xchange. Personally I wouldnt go outside with a nail missing from the sole.

8. palmdodo

palmdodo Member

Thanks a lot for your input, MCT358 :)

I spoke to Victor, the Sales person at 7L, he said it is not a big deal(the nails are for decoration purpose only) and eventually i have it solved by myself. Result is quite acceptable at least to me... Very simple to do, frankly, i put the steps here for anyone had this kind of problem (it is minor but still annoying), hope it helps:

1. i used a deformed u-clip to measure the depth of the hole, cut a tooth stick tip to match the measurement.
    2. use u-clip tip carefully insert small amount of glue inside the hole.
    3. insert tooth stick tip inside the hole, use a looney's edge gently press it in to flatten. then use dark shoe cream to color it in order to fade it out among the others.(i used my GF's nail oil :)
    4. et voilà!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Just took notice on my FB feed that Septième Largeur now offers their shoe models with crocodile leather! Add to that a custom patina and you've got yourself a pretty rad pair of shoes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Polonius28

Polonius28 New Member

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice on shoe sizing. I bought a pair of oxfords at Septieme Largeur on a recent visit to Paris. I normally buy a UK size 7.5/8 but have only ever bought decent shoes online and so have never been properly fitted. When I tried on a size 7.5 in the shop the assistant told me it was much too big and recommended a size 6. I managed to squeeze the size 6 on but it was very very tight. He got me to try a 6.5 but said it was still a little big over the toes so said I also needed an insole. The shoes still felt very tight but he said they would loosen up after a couple of weeks of wear. I assumed he knew what he was talking about, and as I liked the shoes, bought them.

Since them I've worn them quite a bit over the last few weeks but they're still very tight to the point that my toes feel squashed from the side and my feet become painful. They're even worse with the insole in.

I've emailed the shop but they have said they won't exchange the shoes as they've been worn. They've offered to try stretching them but I have no idea if this is a good idea?

I feel a little cheated as I trusted them to fit me correctly and was recommended to get the size 6.5 as I was told they were definitely the correct size. I'm not sure what to do now as I can't wear the shoes and can't exchange them. Are the shop being unreasonable or should I have just ignored their advice and bought the size I thought was right??

Thanks for your advice

11. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

Good quality leather takes a longer time to stretch. I've had the same experience with their shoe, and with the same unhappiness with the person who sold it to me. ;)

You're definitely better off in the long run with a slightly smaller (vs. larger) shoe once it's fully conformed to your feet.

I think there was a thread somewhere, and someone (with a huge collection) mentioned that if he were to do it all over again, he would've erred on the side of too small vs too big.

12. bc78

bc78 Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the prune calf? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how it appears in person. Some photos make the prune look close to black and some look close to their old brown color. Thanks!

13. mcl911

mcl911 Senior member

ordered a patina shoes a month ago, and it's status is still Patine en cours
    how long does it usually take?

14. bc78

bc78 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with their Cordovan?

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

No, but I am interested.

I noticed a few months back that they had "patina cordovan" offered on their site - in other words, you could choose "natural" cordovan and they would then dye it in your choice of colour, as with their regular patina service for calf-leather shoes.

However, the patina cordovan choices now seem to have disappeared from the SL website, so perhaps they sold out quickly.

16. Cloudy

Cloudy New Member

How does SL compare to Markowski's "Prince Jorge" line? I really like the designs of SL, but the the comparison of SL and Meermin as "similar in terms of quality" in an earlier post isn't exactly reassuring to me - my PJ monks are definitely a step up from my Meermins.

Maybe someone here can give me some advice before I have to start deciphering Depiedencap with my limited French^^

17. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

18. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

In Paris at the moment. Would like to check out SL. Not sure I'll order a patina job just yet. What are the basics I should know before going in?

19. mcl911

mcl911 Senior member

Better check their website out to see what you want, if you order patina they will ship it to you no matter where you are. Is better to try out their last and size in person.

20. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

My good friend Rodrigo did a fabulous patina on these Edouard (199) - Thought I would share!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.