• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sending my garments to tailor to copy

masterphotog

Reaction score
Hello, I'm writing to see if this has been tried and what your experience was in doing so:

I have the opportunity to purchase some wonderful fabric - 100% worsted pure cashmere as well as some herringbone super 120's merino wool for a very low price.

My quandary is since I've never provided my tailor with material, I never considered it until this opportunity presented itself. The quote that I'm getting from my tailor, by providing material, is VERY VERY close to what I would pay if I had not provided the material. Yes, I'm sure that he is giving me a break on the material that he has in stock, because that's what I've always used, but I would think that my providing my own fabric would be quite a bit of a lower price, on say a pair of trousers.

Well, I didn't push the issue with him, I just asked what it would cost if I brought in my own material and left it at that.

Since then, I've gotten some good recommendations from some tailors in Hong Kong and I also have reached out to them via email, asking if this is a service they could provide (I send them material along with a pair of my trousers to copy). All of the responses I've gotten have been overly polite and eager to help me out. They're price to do so, comes in significantly lower than for my tailor to have this done - including shipping (I'm in the US).

Can those of you that have done this, give me some advice on whether or not I should try this or is this an avenue not worth pursuing?

The tailors that have eagerly responded have been:

Michael - taktaktailor
Jim's Tailor Workshop
Peter - Charms Tailor
Roshan - Sam's Tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads