• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Semi-Formal Help

Tyr

Reaction score
I have a semi-formal event I have coming up. My date is wearing an all black dress. We had hers this past saturday and it went well. I'm just not sure how i'm going to stand out if i'm just wearing black and white. I'm looking for some ideas. Here what i wore saturday for her semi.

n1020030043_24645_7937.jpg

I have a gingham pattern shirt i was thinking of wearing with a black tie and the vest and maybe repeat the hat. I also have a black pin-striped shirt.

mmhollis

Reaction score
To be honest, you probably would stand out if you wore black and white. I think its a really classic look that a lot of people have gotten away from because they want to stand out. The gingham isn't a bad idea though.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Yea, just to clarify that is my suggestion black suit, black tie, white shirt.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt does not go with tie does not go with vest does not go with hat.

And the tie reminds me of a cool mint bubblegum wrapper.

Please don't wear any of the stuff you mentioned.

And I don't mean this in a pejorative or racist way and I can't stress that enough, but you're feeding the stereotype with those types of clothes. There's nothing wrong with being dressed very minimalist and classic -- and if you buy the right clothes they'll look spectacular. You don't need to attract tons of attention to yourself because quite honestly it'll be very negative attention given the fact that your date is white (or at least it would be here). Don't fall into the stereotype -- heck, don't even go near them.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first assumption when he said black and white was black shirt and white tie, which I do not think would be endorsed.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
My first assumption when he said black and white was black shirt and white tie, which I do not think would be endorsed.

Nor even close to semi-formal.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Lose the HAT please.
Wear a suit.

I like the hat - but I'm a bit old fashioned and un-American on that front: I would say don't wear a hat indoors, ever!

You gotta try the black suit & tie, white shirt before you dismiss it - I think you might be surprised how much you will stand out in a very cool and classic way. To really top it off - don't forget a nice hanky/ pocket square and cufflinks.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I like the hat - but I'm a bit old fashioned and un-American on that front: I would say don't wear a hat indoors, ever! You gotta try the black suit & tie, white shirt before you dismiss it - I think you might be surprised how much you will stand out in a very cool and classic way. To really top it off - don't forget a nice hanky/ pocket square and cufflinks.
The mind boggles.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
------------

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Shirt does not go with tie does not go with vest does not go with hat. And the tie reminds me of a cool mint bubblegum wrapper.
Agreed. Matching shirt and tie color looks bad 100% of the time. Don't wear a black suit unless you want to get crucified by the Men's Clothing guys. Go for gray, charcoal, dark navy. Finally, men are not supposed to stand out at formal or semi-formal events. They are there as backdrop for the ladies.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Finally, men are not supposed to stand out at formal or semi-formal events. They are there as backdrop for the ladies.

+1

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
The mind boggles.

The guy wants to stay within a black/white colour scheme and also stand-out- I hardly think a black suit, white shirt and a black tie (not bow-tie) is that mind boggling. Perhaps not the height of iGentry, but perfectly adequate for the occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads