• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

semi-dressy jeans

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get my first pair of dry jeans but i don't know which to get. I only have wash denim right now like Joe's, TR, R&R, Diesel, Buffalo, sevens and other stuff that you guys might hate because it isn't dry or japanesse. I am 155 lbs 5'10 and im looking for a pair of dry jeans i can wear with some loafers. I don't want them to be TOO long because it wouldn't look right with shoes. I don't want them to be TOO tight because i want kids. What jeans should i look into? I was thinking about A.P.Cs since they have a store in nyc.
Thanks

if more information is required let me know.

Kid609

Reaction score
Who cares what everyone else likes. Get what you like.

Your Sevens are probably dressy enough for 99.9% of the situations out there, and they are infinitely more comfortable than a pair of stiff APC or ball-busting Nudie jeans. And girls like them.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kid609
Who cares what everyone else likes. Get what you like.

Your Sevens are probably dressy enough for 99.9% of the situations out there, and they are infinitely more comfortable than a pair of stiff APC or ball-busting Nudie jeans. And girls like them.

yea, thats what im wearing with shoes now, but they are like half an inch too long and touch the floor. I rather have them fit a bit shorter. I want some jeans that are darker too.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could always have them hemmed. Interestingly enough my darkest jeans are a pair of very dark Seven bootcut that I absolutely love. Personally I like softer jeans so I have a lot of Seven and older PDC jeans, although I also own a bunch of older Diesel, Nudie, and Earnest Sewn jeans as well that are heavier weight and not as soft.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say that a good way to get introduced to "dry denim" is to try a one rinse first. Rag & Bone make superlative jeans - not cheap though. There are a variety of models discussed here, from the fairly relaxed RB1 to the slimmer RB6. They are also dressier than most jeans. And they are comfortable from the moment you put them on.

Kid609, why the bad attitude? I also say wear what you like as well (and I wear anything from Paper Denims to Nudies to 5EPs), but black platano asked for recommendation for a dressier, darker, jean. If you've got nothing to suggest, I suggest that you don't post your negative and useless comments. Understand me? Good. As for your assertion that Nudies are ball busting, no need to advertise your ignorance, okay? There are really slim cuts, but if you think that Loose Franks or Baggy Bjorns are ball-busting, you probably need to see a urologist. And Other jeans, like the ubiquitous (on this forum) regular Ralphs are designed so that they can be worn tight, regular, or loose, and look good.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are infinitely more comfortable than a pair of stiff APC or ball-busting Nudie jeans.
Have you ever even tried on either of these?

Kid609

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Kid609, why the bad attitude? I also say wear what you like as well (and I wear anything from Paper Denims to Nudies to 5EPs), but black platano asked for recommendation for a dressier, darker, jean. If you've got nothing to suggest, I suggest that you don't post your negative and useless comments. Understand me? Good. As for your assertion that Nudies are ball busting, no need to advertise your ignorance, okay? There are really slim cuts, but if you think that Loose Franks or Baggy Bjorns are ball-busting, you probably need to see a urologist. And Other jeans, like the ubiquitous (on this forum) regular Ralphs are designed so that they can be worn tight, regular, or loose, and look good.

It's called an opinion and I stand by mine, thanks for asking though.

wpeters

Reaction score
There's no need to go for the obscure japanese stuff for your first pair. In fact, you'll be best server by tryign on a number of pairs from different brands. Unless you're extremely lucky, you'll have to get almost any pair hemmed to work with the loafers, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

APC gets lots of love here and on the other SF. The Nudie Regular Ralf is also a cut that looks great on a number of different body types. 5EP is also a good choice for a one-wash. I don't know if Uniqlo still has a small shop in NYC, but if they do, it's a great option for an inexpensive one-wash with a great price/value ratio. The cut is more repro than modern, though.

If you're interested in something more obscure, check out Blue in Green. They sell a number of great brands, and (I think) are down near the corner of Greene and Grand.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called an opinion and I stand by mine, thanks for asking though.

Dude, you are welcome to your opinion. If you read through threads, you'll see that there are plenty of differing ones. What I was doing was telling you to check the attitude at the door. I hope that was clear enough. Thanks,

Fok.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
dressy, darker jeans? Rag & Bone jeans are resin-coated so they will keep their colour, aren't they? Good jeans, very comfortable. They actually have an inner lining around the waistband of their jeans, so it feels like a pair of pants. if not, i point (as many many others will) to the APC Rescues for another regular-fitting pair of jeans at an economical cost. not a fan of nudies as dressy jeans because they seem to exude some sort of streetwear atmosphere...or maybe that's just my dinner.

EDIT: and you can find R&B in NYC too i'm sure. someone else will tell you where...

jchosko

Reaction score
if you really aren't going to wear them that often, and want them to stay pretty dark, i'd save your money and just get some of the unwashed h&m jeans. they're cheap, dark, have a nice fit, and you can have them hemmed to your perfect length and still have saved enough money over some r&bs to buy another pair of jeans or a shirt or whatever. also, since marshall fields and other dept. stores cleared out the earnest sewn fulton patriots for cheap you can find them on ebay for a good deal. nice dark, rigid, but not raw--and half selvedge if you care about that sort of thing.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
dressy, darker jeans? Rag & Bone jeans are resin-coated so they will keep their colour, aren't they? Good jeans, very comfortable. They actually have an inner lining around the waistband of their jeans, so it feels like a pair of pants. if not, i point (as many many others will) to the APC Rescues for another regular-fitting pair of jeans at an economical cost. not a fan of nudies as dressy jeans because they seem to exude some sort of streetwear atmosphere...or maybe that's just my dinner.

EDIT: and you can find R&B in NYC too i'm sure. someone else will tell you where...

Agree 100% on the RB, and I can't wait for the RB6 using the RB1 denim to come out this fall. I don't entirely agree about Nudies, in every case. Certainly ones worn for six months w/o a wash aren't, but ones that are kept dry looking, by washing right away, work well for dress (at least they do for me). JMHO.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whats the stretch on RB6? I normally wear a 29 or 30 would I need to drop down much or at all?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not at all.

Go to the Denim Bar in Arlington and try some on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads