1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Semi-brogue or Cap toe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by etown883, Sep 12, 2006.

1. etown883

etown883 Well-Known Member

All, I'm looking for a versatile pair of black shoes to with trousers and a shirt as well as a full suit. Any thoughts on which would be preferred, the semi-brogue style or the cap toe? I'm referring to CT shoes, as the 50% off code is out there again, and I'm going to finally pull the trigger. Thanks for your help! Best Regards.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Depends on what else you already own. If this will be your one good pair of shoes, for everything from job interviews to funerals, I'd go with the plain captoe.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Personally, I don't think cap toed shoes -- whether plain or brogued -- look particularly good with odd trousers and no jacket. I am probably in the minority on this, but to to me a cap toe is just too formal and demands a suit. Consider a pair of monk straps, which pair well with almost anything. Perhaps not the thing for a job interview or a funeral, but they can otherwise make the transition from shirt sleeves to suit coat very well.

4. etown883

etown883 Well-Known Member

Thanks, well lets just say it'll be my FIRST pair of good shoes. So i'd like them to be versitile for now. Never really thought about monk straps, didn't think i could pull them off. but i'll have to give them a look. thanks!

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Personally, I don't think cap toed shoes -- whether plain or brogued -- look particularly good with odd trousers and no jacket. I am probably in the minority on this, but to to me a cap toe is just too formal and demands a suit. Consider a pair of monk straps, which pair well with almost anything. Perhaps not the thing for a job interview or a funeral, but they can otherwise make the transition from shirt sleeves to suit coat very well.

I actually agree with this fully. Depends on what you need the shoes for, really. I tend to the conservative for such recommendations.

I will, however, admit a weakness for captoe bluchers.

6. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I agree with this too. I'm a big fan of monkstraps and their versatility.

7. josepidal

josepidal Distinguished Member

I get away wearing dark brown and light tan cap toes with jeans, and from photos on SF, it's hardly bad to normal people.

However, after SF, I don't consider black cap toes versatile by any standard anymore.

8. Carey

Carey Senior Member

I disagree, the Monk Strap is an advanced move and you might hurt yourself if you try this before you are ready. It's like trying a full-gainer when you've only yet just stopped holding your nose when you jump in the pool. Beware! I don't think black lace-ups crossover very well to jeans, ever. There are more dress occassions that will call for a somber lace-up, and a black cap toe is an excellent choice. You can opt out of any decorative perforation at the toe, and this shoe can go formal, too. The monk can't. Spend $400 or up on a great pair of lace-ups with a stitched welted sole, and keep them for when you are wearing a coat and tie. Get your self a pair of monk straps or slip-ons for business casual or going out in more casual clothes.