• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge question

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if selvedge is supposed to be the last remaining layers on the loom or whatever, how are so many jeans selvedge now? How can there be so many units floating around? Gap even has selvedge, wouldn't they be ordering tons of units? I just don't understand the production for making so many selvedge jeans now.

Is it possible, that some of the jeans being manufactured aren't really selvedge? Such as gap? etc?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
selvage is supposedly narrow loom from the start. Meaning there is no excessive waste. Who knows what Gap is doing.

Selvage cloth in itself is not rare, cloth napkins, rugs, sweaters, etc are often selvage.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should probably go over to Superdenim and read the articles they have in the Superdenim Encyclopedia. Basically, a shuttle loom is not required to make selvage denim. Evisu, for one, uses modern looms to make some of their jeans. I think a better way to see how "authentic" your repros are is whether or not they are chainstitched. I might be wrong on this too, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads