• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvedge: Only a gentlemen's game?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
As I was explaining the concept of selvedge to my ex, whose knowledge of jeans extends to about 7fam or joe's, a question came up that i hadn't thought of before: does/can the selvedge trend really extend to women?

I mean sure, Nudie and others offer a few pairs, but I had a hard time imagining women buying clothing that would eventually become loose and then shrink or even something they'd have to try to wear unwashed for several months. I couldn't quite picture my ex wanting to walk around with dripping indigo that first time around but perhaps she wouldn't mind if it were already sanforized. She did, however, like the idea of wearing her jeans in to create a personal pair.

Any thoughts?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife will start wearing in a pair of New Standards as soon as they arrive. I doubt that she will wear them every day though. They'll probably go into her regular rotation (about 3 pairs).

Originally Posted by whodini
As I was explaining the concept of selvedge to my ex, whose knowledge of jeans extends to about 7fam or joe's, a question came up that i hadn't thought of before: does/can the selvedge trend really extend to women?

I mean sure, Nudie and others offer a few pairs, but I had a hard time imagining women buying clothing that would eventually become loose and then shrink or even something they'd have to try to wear unwashed for several months. I couldn't quite picture my ex wanting to walk around with dripping indigo that first time around but perhaps she wouldn't mind if it were already sanforized. She did, however, like the idea of wearing her jeans in to create a personal pair.

Any thoughts?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait... you have to wear them without washing? i thought selvage just meant that the jeans were made from narrow loomed denim. i didnt know that they have special rules about how you have to wash and wear them. the only thing going against selvage for women that i can think of is the necessity of a straight cut outseam, which limits the fit options.

and a gentlemans game? alot of supertalkers have selvage and i wouldnt call them gentlemen. same goes for me... tho i may be close.... i just need to buy a suit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
wait... you have to wear them without washing? i thought selvage just meant that the jeans were made from narrow loomed denim. i didnt know that they have special rules about how you have to wash and wear them. the only thing going against selvage for women that i can think of is the necessity of a straight cut outseam, which limits the fit options.

and a gentlemans game? alot of supertalkers have selvage and i wouldnt call them gentlemen. same goes for me... tho i may be close.... i just need to buy a suit.

Smartass.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, for women, it's all about how the ass look. They couldn't care less if the jeans were made from the cotton grown on Mars.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant Raw and not selvage?

duofold

Reaction score
For any woman, good choice for 1st raw selvedge denim...talk about the ultimate in vanity sizing!

Dark, indigo denim (whether they be dry and/or selvedge, for women or men) seems to be the aggressor in trends this fall. My wife works for the major US department store and they've been putting these jeans on mannequins, especially the skinny variety.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Smartass.
sorry.... maybe im just jealous that i cant go 6 moths without washing. i dont get how selvage and raw are used interchangeably. they are 2 completely different things, describing 2 completely different properties of denim.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
*puts down cup of tea*

Ain't no woman gonna wanna get no damn dry jeans!!

*picks up cup of tea*

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Sorry, when I wrote the post I was still drunk from breakfast. I meant to ask if the selvedge trend will follow along to women and if they would go further than that and try dry.

Once again, my chronic alcoholism is to blame.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You still didnt answer wether the fact that a jean is selvedge (and not Raw) forces it into a strict regiment of wash cycles. Or did you mean raw instead?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no jeans have to be washed any certian way.... you can wash your raw veggie selvage every day if you want and the only people who care are the ones on internet fashion sites.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
You still didnt answer wether the fact that a jean is selvedge (and not Raw) forces it into a strict regiment of wash cycles. Or did you mean raw instead?
Not selvedge, raw wash cycles.

nomovement

Reaction score
you other guys should've been harder on whodini as you could've cleared up this mess half a page ago. He obviously meant raw denim. you could've made several corrections. one, nudie doesn't make any models for ladies; excepting one unisex model, that duty is handled by their counterpart denimbirds. I for one, am not buying any raw denim this season..for ladies; the experiential element would be lost on them AND, being dirty is not a big part of the female gender identity. That said, dark jeans on girls look HOT. and I bet whoever's wife it is that's getting ns's will look great; but a word of warning: try not to let your fetishes overlap. Bad things could happen.
imgc38c2838c2x4pc.jpeg

familyman

Reaction score
Anybody can wash any jean any way they want. If you're looking for a certain wear effect then following a certain wash/wear philosophy may help achieve that but you don't harm raw jeans by washing them any more than you harm acid washed Levis by washing them. In fact, as has been stated here repeatedly you may be adversly affecting the life (from a longevity standpoint) by not washing it.
What's crazy is that the probably the best looking jeans out there are vintage Levis that were washed when they got dirty. The workers and cowboys didn't worry about getting another month of wear before washing them, they just wore them and washed them when they got dirty. That's authentic wear.
It's just denim. They're just jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics