• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selvage Sighting at Nordstrom Rack

lapu lapu

Reaction score
Just delivering the inside scoop...saw a bunch of Penguin denim at Nordstrom Rack complete with the Selvage edge. Kinda hard to believe actually when I first came across them. I'm still wondering if they're legit.

Anyways, people looking for a bargain on a pair of raw selvage joints (only around $70-$80) should check it out.

Note: Even though the wash was labeled "Raw," I noticed that the denim had a different feel from that of other selvage brands (e.g. APC). It was almost as if it had been pre-soaked.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selvedge =! raw. I didn't know that Penguin did denim. Anyone have any experience?

cielo

Reaction score
I bought them when they were on sale at Nordstrom.com (for approximately the same price as the Rack). MSRP was ~$200. Anyways, these jeans were raw, straight leg and selvedge. They had a loose fit and moderate rise (more than Nudie RR). I returned them since they were too baggy on me. If I sized down an inch or two, they may have fit better. Ultimately, I passed.

lapu lapu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Selvedge =! raw. I didn't know that Penguin did denim. Anyone have any experience?
Neither did I, hence the shock factor.

VENDER

Reaction score
I saw them at Rack also. They didn't look or feel very high quality. They weren't stiff or slubby, and the fit was wack.

minya

Reaction score
Selvage denim does not necessarily indicate quality denim. I think this is a good example.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Selvage denim does not necessarily indicate quality denim. I think this is a good example.
If you need proof of that, just go to a local Abercrombie.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think for anyone except real jean companies, selvage is a gimmick that makes it harder to get a good (or non-wack, I guess) fit and means that since the company blew their wad on getting selvage, they probably compromised somewhere else. IMO, except for repros, selvage is pretty much meaningless.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think for anyone except real jean companies, selvage is a gimmick that makes it harder to get a good (or non-wack, I guess) fit and means that since the company blew their wad on getting selvage, they probably compromised somewhere else. IMO, except for repros, selvage is pretty much meaningless.

I think that even for a lot of "real jean companies", it is a gimmick, a fad. Some companies have taken it to the extreme - Jean Shop jeans are a case in point. There is selvedge on the ticket pocket, the outseam, and the fly! What purpose is there to have selvedge on the fly? I mean, I guess that you could say that selvedge outseams are sort of an homage to the "original manufacturing methods", whatever the hell that means, but selvedge on the fly? C'mon now people. Reminds me of the Anglo-craziness that hit this board and the market not so long ago. Ticket pockets, hacking pockets, dual back vents and peak lapels on every jacket. Yes, very classy
plain.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that even for a lot of "real jean companies", it is a gimmick, a fad. Some companies have taken it to the extreme - Jean Shop jeans are a case in point. There is selvedge on the ticket pocket, the outseam, and the fly! What purpose is there to have selvedge on the fly? I mean, I guess that you could say that selvedge outseams are sort of an homage to the "original manufacturing methods", whatever the hell that means, but selvedge on the fly? C'mon now people. Reminds me of the Anglo-craziness that hit this board and the market not so long ago. Ticket pockets, hacking pockets, dual back vents and peak lapels on every jacket. Yes, very classy
plain.gif

We had the Anglo fever first!
biggrin.gif

Though selvage does make seams thinner, which can be nice in areas that rub. Unfortunately, it's never used in those areas.

minya

Reaction score
well, I guess LA Guy's never had sex with a denimhead... or perhaps "denimbird" would be more appropriate.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Ticket pockets, hacking pockets, dual back vents and peak lapels on every jacket.

sounds great!! you say it like there's something wrong with that....
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads