1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Selvage Jeans at Target?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by paulvarjak, Nov 4, 2011.

1. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

It's a feature of the denim. I mean that in a straightforward, literal, wikipedian sense. Selvedge is a quality which certain denims possess. Selvedge is a self-edge, a finished end to a fabric that doesn't fray, and creates a definite "stop" point to a fabric. It doesn't have to have a colorful stripe, it just has to serve as a finished edge to a fabric that doesn't require any additional needlework to prevent fraying.

2. Stillblade

Stillblade Senior member

Damn dude it's just clothes..... LMAO.

Seems like some people in here are just trying really hard to make themselves feel better for spending hours upon hours looking up relatively obscure jean companies and fit on styleforum and got mad that this guy found something he liked while shopping at target... your responses are too angry to suggest otherwise :foo:

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

I think you're taking the literal sense too literally and not including the rest of the definition. Selvage denim means it's a narrow-loomed fabric, and whether or not the self-edge is even present anywhere on a pair of jeans does not change the fact that it is indeed narrow-loomed/selvage. A pair of Lee's that only shows half-selvage is an aesthetic description only; it doesn't literally mean that half the jeans are made with narrow-loomed goods and half with wide.

I realize some on here might like the aesthetic of a finished edge when cuffed, but you can't seriously be suggesting that the detail is the only reason why people wax about the fabric itself, can you?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

if you want quality, u gotta put some money down. period.

5. autumndreams

Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with producing a large amount. Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom. Savvy?

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality. Caveat emptor.

6. autumndreams

Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with making a large quantity. Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom. Savvy?

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality. Caveat emptor.

7. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in

8. Mauro

There is truth to part of what you said-

"Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with making a large quantity. Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom."

This part of what you said is fact.'
    "Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. "

Technically wide width goods suppose to be higher quality good. Less flaws stronger fabric, almost flawless. That's why the whole narrow width trend started back up. Almost a back lash if you will towards perfection.This topic has been beaten to death on the forum and my typing and grammar is to poor to spend 30 min on a very stupid subject.

Here is a another fact. If truly believe something to be true then you will think it's true. Right or Wrong. You will justify your belief and in some ways become a radical. Years and years of hype has been poured into selvage jeans. It's just hype. When you wake up and realize this you will be a smarter consumer and won't be blinded by the other sheople.

Can you by shit selvage denim, off course. Does it represent quality ? Off course it doesn't. Does it have a story people want to buy into, of course it does. The same can't be said about wide width goods. Why?
    Because the radicals have told everyone it sucks when in fact it doesn't. To wear quality wide width goods is what the real Connoisseur of denim would be chasing.

Quantity doesn't mean shit either. A narrow width good doesn't have the same yield as a wide width good. That's a fact. However it doesn't mean that that company or person is making any less money than the wide width good.

Example- let's say it takes 1.5 yards of fabric to make a pair of jeans on a 58 cutable and it takes 3 yards on a 28.5 to 31 inch cutable . The price of the wide with is 15.00 a yard and the price of the narrow width is 15.00 a yard. Who's saves money? Get my point. It takes WAY more yardage to make a selvage jean because its cut on the selvage . You are limited by the selvage with what you can do with the a pair of jeans. A wide width good, sky is the limit.

Is target selling quality jeans? What's your definition of quality? Because there are so many different definitions, taste levels, standards, and functions this topic will go on for a very long time. The fact that this is SF on the internet will get people arguing and debating about what they think is right and wrong even though 99% don't know shit about what they are talking about.

Have a wonderful day. I am tried of writing and have jeans to be make.

Best,
    Mauro

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i miss them

10. Mauro

You will get them back . I promise.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

Mauro did a more detailed job of putting you in your spot than I care to, but yes, the part of the statement you emboldened is the actual definition of selvage.

At NO point in what I've written to you have I used the word "quality." That's your tangent, how or where you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

You come off as trying to argue from a place of intelligence but you get tripped up on the first step, which makes me think you're either trolling or you don't know what you're talking about.

If you think I'm confused about your point or that you still need to teach me or this forum a thing or two about denim, I'd invite you to meet the version of me from six years ago. He'd probably listen.

12. grundletaint

BUTT EES EET CHAINGSTEEETCHED.,?,?,?.?,,!,!,!,!,!,

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

That'd be pretty rad if you had your lady's ring chainstitched. No jeweler could argue its quality.

14. grundletaint

It would definitely shine brighter than a ring made the traditional way and I'd only be able to send it of to get cleaned at one or two places.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. autumndreams

*sighs*

My point that you first responded to was that selvedge has been hyped up beyond all possible recognition. In this regard, Mauro seems to agree with me.

Mauro obviously knows a whole lot more about fabric and denim than I do, and I will defer to him. My last post was simply what I've heard about selvedge denim, the "story" behind selvedge denim. The hype. I didn't mean to present it as irrefutable fact, and I don't mean to proclaim myself as an expert: I'm just an enthusiast. I appreciate Mauro's input in the thread. I don't feel like he "put me in my place", because I'm OK with being wrong. He taught me a few things about denim that I didn't know.

What's frustrating to me is that you and I don't seem to disagree on a fundamental level here, but you continue pushing. We both agree that selvedge is over hyped, right? So what's the big deal?

The *original* reason I posted in this thread was because I saw a dogpile. The OP was enamored with the idea of getting selvedge jeans for 40 dollars, and then people let loose with the insults and the bullying. I didn't like that. I don't like the idea of people hiding behind their keyboards and monitors and anonymously flinging shit at other people. My original message should have been clear: Chill. Be good to each other. Don't shit all over a person because you think they're ignorant, because people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  16. whodini

whodini Senior member

I asked you a couple of questions and instead of a sentence or two of clarification, I got a couple paragraphs worth of a quality tangent.

I think people get your point, maybe got your point a couple of months before you joined and posted. But their reaction was to the same thing that happens all the time around here. Over the top, perhaps, but welcome to the internet and welcome to repeated exposure.

As much as people shouldn't be throwing stones, it annoys me just as much as people who think they need to be the thread hall monitor. I'm not sure which is more righteous.

17. grundletaint

BUAT ARE TEH RIVETTS HIDDAN??!?!!?!?

18. autumndreams

Ah, and now we get to the core of it. It annoys you when people speak out against bullies, because that makes them "righteous". Which...truth told...yeah. That kinda does, don't it?

So I accept your conclusion. If you're done trying to pick a fight, we can move on.

19. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

:lurk::lurk:

Converse-S are boss for the cost. I'm on week 4 and they're breaking in nicely.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012