1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Selvage Jeans at Target?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by paulvarjak, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Worst jean:

$10 Uniqlo at NYC store openings.
    or
    Target Selvedge.

Discuss momofukus.

2. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Those TGT joints look pretty bad. I would cut them up and make some nice slevague potholders

and $27 isn't exactly thrift store cheap. why the fucc would you buy 2 pairs? plenty of decent stuff around $50

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Now, I'd been under the impression from the board that Uniqlo Japan selvage was actually rather decent stuff for the price...?

4. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Not to split hairs, but A&F has been doing selvage jeans on and off for at least 10 years now, probably longer. Gap too. I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but my first-ever pair of selvage jeans was a pair of A&F that I bought exactly 10 years ago. Then again, just about all of the clothing I bought back then was crap anyway.

I also have a 10-year-old pair of Gap selvage jeans as well. Looking back at those jeans, the A&F actually used better denim than Gap. Go figure.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Just post fit pics b/c that's all the matters to me and the biddies.

6. beautiful_FrEaK

beautiful_FrEaK Senior member

some people have to get an exact idea what selvage really is all about. as there is selvage denim and selvage denim. selvage is not always a sign of high quality.
    the selvage denim we "snobs" like is woven on vintage and old narrow slow shuttle looms, done the old way.
    but you can also do a selvage outline on the modern, fast and wide looms. making the denim cheaper (pricewise) and also different to the denim most of us have no problem to spend 200$ and up for

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Yes, but the $10 ones weren't selvedge, made in Japan or any good.

8. porieux

porieux New Member

This are on sale for 25% off right now, making them $30. For the price they aren't bad.

9. mymaster

mymaster Member

Converse Selvage Jeans or Uniqlo Japan selvage better

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

There's denim and then there's denim. Yours is the former.

11. Guus

Guus Senior member

LMAO!:rotflmao:

Seriously, what kind of logic is this? He's probably buying to fit a look, not because they're an necessity. Come on, man! Don't be so extreme.

12. lckychrmsbboy

lckychrmsbboy Senior member

I'd rather have Abercrombie and Fitch jeans, They're really nice plus those Converse jeans look like crap

13. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

My friend did something like this a few months ago. Bought this pair of WESC selverdge jeans on ebay for like $25 bucks.

They were indeed selvedge and the contruction wasn't too bad either. but the weight on the denim was paper thin and they looked ugly beyond belief.

14. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

Uniqlo is a lot better, or at least it's known. The Converse ones feel and look like crap. Go with Uniqlo.

15. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

Oof, reading this thread makes my head hurt.

here's a nice TL;DR:

Selvedge doesn't equal quality, but there's nothing wrong with buying cheaper clothing if you like it.

Some of you kids need to learn to play nice. Chill out a little, eh?

16. MisterAndre

MisterAndre Member

This whole concept is ridiculous. Half the point of selvedge is to get a quality non-factory product.

17. oilpit

oilpit Senior member

Well that was a fun read...OP is delusional and/or a moron...

Aren't Gap jeans actually pretty decent? Haven't ever tried a pair but people seem to speak highly of them.

18. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The OP started off this thread as a simple inquiry. Then people started the dogpile and insults. "the point of selvedge is quality, you fucktard" they said.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no "point" to selvedge, it's simply how denim and many other fabrics were made before projectile looms. It's a feature of the fabric, nothing less, and it's been hyped up beyond all recognition. Can we really blame people for being so enamored with selvedge?

Let's end this nonsense. There's no need to be shitty. Chill.

19. iroh

iroh Senior member

i got a pair of selvedge japanese jeans, i had to cut off the selvedge cuz i needed to taper them, so now they are non selvedge, BUT they are just as good as selevdge jeans, so long as the fit is good and the jeens look good, selvedge or not it wont mater, my selvage jeens are just as good as my non S jeens and the comfort is the same, careful when u spend more money caus sometimes you dun gett much extra in return.

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

Wait, what? I'm with you that it's hyped to an annoying extent at times, but what do you mean it's a "feature?" Maybe I'm reading you incorrectly but it's almost like you're implying the only difference between it and other fabrics is a colorful stripe down the end. Or do you mean in a sense that silk is a "feature" of a tie in that it's not rayon? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I remember my first trip on ether.