1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Selvage Jeans at Target?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by paulvarjak, Nov 4, 2011.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I have a shirt with selvage trim.....is dat da quality chambray?????? :eh:

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

The ironing of telling people off for buying expensive things while advocating the purchase of goods so that you fit in with that same exact group...

This is some "12 Monkeys"-level trolling here.

2 people like this.
  3. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Get out the irony board.

4. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Nice jeans can be had for cheap, there's no excuse for getting shitty jeans from, literally, Target other than sheer ignorance or refusal to do the most cursory research

For example, if you do a little poking around, you can get some Naked & Famous for like $ 75 or so, which admittedly are sort of shitty in their own right, but at least the value's there, whereas these are terrible value and of course there is the implicit shame in wearing, literally, Target jeans, each time you put them on

Once you begin wearing jeans from Target, compromise will seep into every facet of your life. Soon, you'll be able to rationalize eating dog food over human food, because hey, the constituent parts are the same, and it looks similar enough, so nevermind the details of it or dignity issues. Taste might be a little off, but I'm willing to subject myself to this because it's "close enough" but most importantly i think i'm getting such a bargain

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    5 people like this.
  5. pimpmystyle

pimpmystyle Senior member

You're an idiot.

6. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

at the end of the day you're still flaunting the fact that you're wearing jeans from target

7. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

This is styleforum. I know you want to have a race to the bottom to see who can find the cheapest slave-labor clothing that resembles the sorts of clothing we actually like to talk about, but why don't you take it to one of those message boards for other taste deficient spendthrifts like slickdeals.net

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    2 people like this.
  8. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

5 star thread.

Anyways, nobody really cares about your jeans as long as they fit well, have a flattering cut, and don't have garish pre-distressing/stiching, etc. Most Styleforum members probably couldn't even tell the difference between someone wearing these jeans and someone wearing Skulls or Sugarcanes. Are those jeans better quality? Absolutely. Are they worth the $200-300 difference? That's up for the buyer to decide.

But yeah, most people here would probably die of embarrassment if they were to buy jeans from Target of all places so they should probably stay far away.

9. Matt44

Matt44 Senior member

:lol:

10. chill1217

chill1217 Well-Known Member

this is a poor analogy because a 3 tire car is not functional, while $40 jeans are functional

there's a disconnect in logic here. the one thing nobody in this thread has explained is "what makes target selvedge jeans shitty?"

this doesn't make sense at all in the context of the thread. who was telling people off for buying expensive jeans while advocating the purchase of expensive goods?

same problem as above, you gotta define why target jeans are shitty if you want your argument to hold weight. otherwise it's just an issue of branding/groupthink

one of the only posts that make sense

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  11. whodini

whodini Senior member

[​IMG]

Checkmate, douchebag.

Your reading comprehension skills are as about as good as nitpicking arguments that you don't have a say in. You need to reread the part where I didn't use "expensive" twice.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    2 people like this.
  12. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

tired of seeing the flimsy "all denim is the same" argument from dudes who only shop at the mall

go wear a pair of high-quality raw jeans for a year, let the denim mold to your legs and take a life of its own, and try telling me that all denim is the same

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I believe Abercrombie & Fitch recently ran selvedge denim too. Now Target. Gap's getting it on for a few seasons now. You can buy "selvedge" denim just about anywhere to fit your mall/big-store style and budget. Fine. You go do that.

I'm going with Whodini and Uncontrol. To a point the more you are willing to pay results in a rather substantial rise in quality, durability, and just general aesthetic appeal. You can buy the real deal, or you can buy the cheap crap put out by such stores. I've been on both ends, and have established a decent niche I like to consider somewhere in the middle.

If you can't afford an Audi or whatnot, then enjoy your Toyota. But don't go and try to claim they're the same thing, despite both being armed with (varying degrees of) an engine.

14. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I didn't notice anyone claiming the Target jeans were the same thing as APC or similar brands...

15. chill1217

chill1217 Well-Known Member

why are you being so hostile? it's a shitty analogy and you know it. a better analogy would be "target selvedge denim:toyota carolla::designer denim:lexus". your analogy doesn't make sense to 99% of people and i think you literally googled "three wheel car" and picked the first image that suited you to make a point. don't be a baby and just admit you're wrong

here's what you wrote:
    i admit, i have trouble comprehending what you wrote because it doesn't make sense. let me get this straight... qO ol "tells people off for buying expensive things, while advocating the purchase of goods so that [qO ol] fit in with that same exact group.." that's how you wrote the statement as and it infers "telling people off for buying expensive jeans while advocating the purchase of expensive goods"

this isn't what i'm arguing about though. i believe that expensive denim is worth it too. my whole point, and what i'm arguing is, so far nobody has said WHY target selvedge is shitty. basically people are saying "target selvedge is shitty" (making a conclusion) without backing it up with ANY REASON.

16. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

This entire thread is a trainwreck because each side is misinterpreting the other side's claims.

1 person likes this.
  17. whodini

whodini Senior member

Not really. OP asked if jeans were a bargain because they were cheap and happened to be selvage. He was then repeatedly told that painting a horse with white stripes doesn't make it a zebra, ie, cheap jeans are cheap jeans regardless of details. OP then suggested that people buy expensive jeans solely to make themselves feel special, the irony being that he was buying shit jeans from Target specifically so that he'd feel his purchase was special. Scumbag Steve then popped his head for left-field comments based on his reading comprehension failures and voila!

Think it's pretty clear.

18. robbie

robbie Senior member

I have been in that same enthusiastic place the OP was. If you go back to early 2009 there are pictures of me in these godawful tight as hell Academi selvage jeans I bought. I was pretty excited about them and bought them because they were selvage. I didn't do any research I bought them. 5 wears in they were losing hardware, they never stretched, they were awful.

The moral of my story is, yes these jeans are selvage but take a little time to learn about jeans. At 40$ you're getting ripped off, at 27$ you're getting ripped off.

This forum, and ones like it, might come across as snobby or rich (i've certainly felt this before... see my title) but this is a result of knowledge and taste.

It's great you found some jeans you like, but coming here to brag about them is like trying to be a member of a classic car club when you own a geo metro.

they're jeans, they're selvage... but really just read whodini's answer he said it best.

19. Boognish

Boognish Well-Known Member

I had to stop by Target for a few things and picked up a pair for shits and giggles. I'm due for a new pair of work jeans anyways. I doubt these will compete with my usual 501 stfs.

They are indeed selvage. Denim is fairly heavy, but not as heavy as 501 stf. They appear to be rinsed, than wadded up and left on a Chinese factory floor to dry. Fit is ok, considering the yoke is almost parallel with with the waistband. Rise is 10" and hem is 8". Very similar to 514s. As typical with shitty mall brands, the stitching is shit, and the entire pair of jeans are riddled with garish red stitching.

I dyed the red hem stitch black and removed the rear pocket stitching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

those look terrible. surprise.