1. Hi. We moved systems, and because it was impossible to achieve feature parity between the systems, we opted to archive the old B&S threads but allow users to read them so that they can put them into our new B&S system.

There is a support thread if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Fok.

Selling to "unconfirmed" Paypal users

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by cocostella, Aug 25, 2007.

1. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

The only time I've been burned selling on ebay was by an unconfirmed user, leaving me without "seller protection." After I shipped the item, the person withdrew their original payment to meshortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, another unconfirmed bidder has won an item of mine. They have paid via Paypal and are awaiting shipment. Is there some limit to the amount of time they can retrieve their money, or could they withdraw it at any time? Should I wait a few days before shipping? Any suggestions?

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

Uh, tell them that you won't sell to an unconfirmed/unverified user citing your experience and PayPal's seller protection policy. I just did the same the other day. I've been burned in that situation myself.

3. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

You should have stated that in advance, in the auction rules, now you should post the item and hope for the best.
    I'd not be pleased of a seller that changes the rules after I won the auction and payed for my item

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

You should never feel bad about rejecting unverified/unconfirmed buyers. Do it with extreme prejudice and no remorse.

personally I usually accept the payment and withdraw the funds before shipping. I haven't gotten burned yet but I'm sure it could happen.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i wil not sell to a unconfirmed buyer unless i have a serious talk with him on the phone. a few times i did, and found out they are sincerely decent buyers and i sold to them no problems.
    i did get burned once when i first started ebay and sold to an unconfirmed buyer that i sent a pair of shoes without any tracking. my mistake.

anyways, now if they paypal me i just refund them and tell them to pay via money order or check. if not , well, i cannot sell to them.

6. kimchikowboy

kimchikowboy Senior member

As an unverified buyer, I appreciate your understanding. Feedback should tell you something.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

lot of times feedback doesnt tell anything.

because the seller will many times (like me) leave a feedback upon payment.

the scam or malicious intent does not happen after the merchandise is shipped out.

i was scammed by someone last year who had alot of feedback by sellers. (but he did not leave any feedback for anyone) but some do.

and ebay/paypal policy is: even if feedback is left by buyer, if there is a dispute, you cannot use the feedback as proof he received or got in item described.

8. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

As fas as shipment goes there is just one thing to do, use tracked shipment with proof of shipment and delivery, this leaves no place for discussions and it's not that expensive.
    eBay should work on this rather than buying Skype ...

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

transfer the money out of your pp account before you ship

10. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

If you are not certain and can't afford the risk, just refund the paypal payment. Nicely ask the buyer to resubmit the payment with confirmed address, or money order. Explain to the buyer why you don't accept the payment with unconfirmed address. Sometimes, buyers will understand and go through the transactions. If they don't, you lose the sales.

If you ship the merchandise to a unconfirmed address, you will lose the merchandise and money should the buyer file a charge back with paypal or credit company no matter you can prove the shippment with tracking number or even with a positive feedback from the buyer. Transfering money out from you paypal account prior to shipping won't do you anything. If you lost the dispute, paypal just put a nagative balance in your account.

Personally, I have shipped quite a few times to unconfirmed addresses before. Everytime I did, I was 99% sure the buyer was decent. So far, I have not been burned. If I don't feel confortable, then I just refund the payment.

11. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Thanks for all the input. I've vollied a few emails with the buyer and they seem legit. I think I'll take the chance this time w/ insurance and tracking. All my new listings will require confirmed Paypal addresses from now on. Thanks again.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit as to how long the buyer has to withdraw their payment to my Paypal account?

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I have never sold, so I don't know a lot about it, but I am an unconfirmed paypal user because I do not want to share my bank account info. I am confident that American Express will protect me in any transactions I do through Paypal (since I always buy). I have never had issues with sellers not wanting to sell to me because of that, but I wonder if I ever will in the future.

13. A Guy from Shanghai

I have never sold, so I don't know a lot about it, but I am an unconfirmed paypal user because I do not want to share my bank account info. I am confident that American Express will protect me in any transactions I do through Paypal (since I always buy). I have never had issues with sellers not wanting to sell to me because of that, but I wonder if I ever will in the future.

I think you are confused with unverified paypal member and paypal payment with unconfirmed address. The former is one does not share bank account with paypal (so paypal can't verify the member). The latter is one made a payment, but the ship to address is different from ones billing address.

14. A Guy from Shanghai

Does anyone know if there is a time limit as to how long the buyer has to withdraw their payment to my Paypal account?

I don't even know that buyers can withdraw their payment. I could be wrong. If paypal does allow buyers to withdraw their payment, it just open the flood gate for troubles.

15. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

I don't even know that buyers can withdraw their payment. I could be wrong. If paypal does allow buyers to withdraw their payment, it just open the flood gate for troubles.

Yes they do. That is exactly what happened to me for $100 w/ a pair of shoes I sent out. The person received them, as evidenced by my Delivery Confirmation, then somehow took the money back out of my Paypal account. I had already withdrawn the money (thinking something was awry), but Paypal just stuck me with a negative balance. Not to mention after I left neg feedback for them, they reciprocated and provided me w/ the only negative I've received in approx. 250 transactions.

Still wondering if there is any time limit set by Paypal for buyers to pull off this maneuver. If it's short enough, the seller could just wait it out before shipping.