Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Selling on eBay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Oct 23, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

This may have been discussed before, in which case I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. But in any case I have a bunch of stuff I'm hoping to put up on ebay tomorrow or in the next couple of days and I am having a hell of a time getting good pictures of suits/jackets. I have a reasonably good digital camera and horrible lighting, and no good way to stand up the jackets for photographing. Does anyone have any tips for a rare ebay seller like myself? I don't want to buy a model stand thing because I don't plan to do this often, but I'd like to get good pictures. The best I can do so far is to hang the jackets on a Zegna hanger with really big shoulders, and that looks reasonably good. Better than some auctions where it looks like the guy tossed the jacket on the carpet and took a picture of it with an ancient disc camera after pulling it out from under the backseat of his Maverick. But I digress. Any tips? Homemade jacket stands? Good lighting tips assuming regular around the house lighting?

Thanks.

2. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Buy a mannequin, it's well worth the investment. In the meantime, you can drive a nail or screw into a white wall and hang the hanger from that. Daylight is superior to even the best artificial lighting, so it's best to shoot when the sun is coming in through a window. If you must shoot at night, you can take fairly good pictures by using inexpensive reading-light type lamps (with full size light bulbs) and bouncing the light off a wall or ceiling. Torchieres are good for that too. Ideally, your camera should have adjustable shutter speed so you can shoot on a tripod, without the flash. A flash makes the pic very two dimensional, causes problems with reflection, and makes textures appear harsh.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Thanks, I guess I'll be digging out all the lamps I have in the house tomorrow and putting nails in my walls. I really think having a mannequin in the house would freak me out, unless it turned into Kim Catrall when everyone was away...

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just get a torso - no fake muscles or freaky bald heads needed.