• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Selling a Car: Have It Detailed First?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sell a car that is about eight years old. It is rather clean (I don't eat in my car, throw trash in the floorboards, etc.), but some dust has inevitably settled in the crevices of the interior, and the exterior is perhaps not as shiny as it could be. Do you think it would be worth having it fully detailed ($100+) before putting it up for sale, or should I not bother and just rely on a basic wash and vacuum ($10)?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detail the car, you can always was the thing after but a clean interior and a nice polish goes a long way.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely have it professionally detailed. It will make a HUGE difference.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll say just have it washed and vacuumed. Unless it's a luxury car, people don't really appreciate a professional detail job.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detail the car. It makes it much easier to sell. I think the older the car, the more important the appearance.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Detail the car. It makes it much easier to sell. I think the older the car, the more important the appearance.

+1

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'll say just have it washed and vacuumed. Unless it's a luxury car, people don't really appreciate a professional detail job.

+1 for having the car detailed, especially if it's older. It makes a huge difference, even to an untrained eye.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
I agree. I used to do detailing on the side and it makes a huge difference on the perception of the care that you put into the car. Steamcleaning is the way to go on the interior and engine bay if possible.

If the interior is leather, and quick brush over with sopay water workes well. also shampooing the floormats is quick to do.

Lucky7

Reaction score
DETAIL, DETAIL, DETAIL! I never trade anything in to the stealership, and I ALWAYS have it detailed before I put it up for sale..what a huge difference it makes. At the end of the day I guarantee that the $100 you spent will pay itslef back in a higher sale price!

andyw

Reaction score
Agree with everyone on this, detailing can make the difference between getting your price or beating out the other car in the buyers consideration. Also, no junk in the trunk.....just keep it OEM.

indy116

Reaction score
And look around for a decent detailer, maybe find a pro in your area on autopia.org. Too many hacks out there. A good job will cost more than $100.. you'll be paying a pro to work 3 - 4 hours.

brianja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
And look around for a decent detailer, maybe find a pro in your area on autopia.org. Too many hacks out there. A good job will cost more than $100.. you'll be paying a pro to work 3 - 4 hours.

3-4 hours is even short for a really good detail with correction, but it should be sufficient for a pre-sale detail.

I agree that there are a lot of "detailers" out there that do more harm than good. Autopia.org and detailingbliss.com are two good sites to find local, talented, detailers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40