• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seller passing off 3 button jackets as 3 roll 2?

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
I recently bought a suit online that was pictured with a nice 3 roll 2 lapel. When I received it, it looked like this.

This looks like a hard 3 to me, and the canvassing in the chest appears to confirm this as it makes rolling the lapel to the second button difficult. Furthermore the back side of the 3rd buttonhole:

... is less finished than the front:

Are sellers trying to unload old 3B suits as trendy 3 roll 2s? Here is an example of another suit about which I am suspicous (look at bottom right photo compared to some of those at the top): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sartoria-PA...hash=item35f7852a7b:m:mKD3dMEwGZ6y71PW5v25R4Q

Lapel in the process of coming out of forced roll into more natural position?

Thoughts? Am I paranoid?

Prost,
SB1

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second from Sartoiale looks authenticto me.

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
In some photos the Sartoriale suit looks good, in some I'm not so sure. So, do you agree that my jacket is meant to button to the third button?

-SB1

Last edited:

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In some photos the Sartoriale suit looks good, in some I'm not so sure. So, do you agree that my jacket is meant to button to the third button?

-SB1

The gray suit you posted looks like a 3 button to me. I dont see that suit as a 3 roll 2 the way the lapels are naturally sitting

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of things. Sartoriale is a reliable seller of high end products. I've always had good result with them. Second, nothing in the description says its a 3 roll 2 so it's best to contact the seller to confirm. I don't know who made the suit you purchased, but Sartoria Partenopea does make quite good number of their 3 button suits rolled to the 2nd button. In fact, all the ones I've seen from them have been 3 rolled 2 instead of a traditional 3 button roll.

Last edited:

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Couple of things. Sartoriale is a reliable seller of high end products. I've always had good result with them. Second, nothing in the description says its a 3 roll 2 so it's best to contact the seller to confirm. I don't know who made the suit you purchased, but Sartoria Partenopea does make quite good number of their 3 button suits rolled to the 2nd button. In fact, all the ones I've seen from them have been 3 rolled 2 instead of a traditional 3 button roll.

Agreed on sartoriale.

The sartoria suit on the link appears to be a 3 roll 2.

The suit the poster has on his pic still looks like a 3 button suit to me and not a 3 roll 2. I dont know what the description said and what the original poster thought he was buying.

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
The suit I have is from Sartoria Partenopea, but I did not purchase from Sartoriale. I want to stress that and should have been more clear, but the suit looks similar to mine, and I was curious what other people thought. I did not want to call out the seller as I was unsure what was going on, and did not want to post the seller's photos without a credit. However, the lapels rolled all the way to the second button in the photos, and the seller confirmed the jacket should be a 3 roll 2. So, I found the way the lapels actually fall quite confusing. I also agree that I have seen few true 3 button lapel rolls from Sartoria Partenopea.

Last edited:

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score
Sartoriale confirms the suit in their listing is the same model as mine (Sartoria Partenopea 7717/40). Given the buttonhole finishing, the fact that the 3rd button itself is sewn through (not just sewn to outer layer), and the way my lapels naturally fall, what do you think that means? Is the roll in the pictures against the natural lie of the lapels (and finishing details), or did shipping do something funny to the roll on my jacket?

Prost,
SB1

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
might have something to do with dry cleaners? My Polo II is 3 roll to 2, but one of them now is almost 3 roll to 2.5 after the dry cleaners iron the lapel...

SandbaggerOne

Reaction score

might have something to do with dry cleaners? My Polo II is 3 roll to 2, but one of them now is almost 3 roll to 2.5 after the dry cleaners iron the lapel...

That has happened to me before, but this was a new suit that arrived from the vendor this way.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very odd. I don't have any personal experience with Sartoria Partenopea, but your photos and the buttonhole finishing on the front make me think that this was constructed as a hard 3, not a 3 roll 2. Feeling the lapel construction would be the definitive answer, but it sounds like you've already done that.

coldinboston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very odd. I don't have any personal experience with Sartoria Partenopea, but your photos and the buttonhole finishing on the front make me think that this was constructed as a hard 3, not a 3 roll 2. Feeling the lapel construction would be the definitive answer, but it sounds like you've already done that.

+1
If this was bc of the dry cleaners, thats really a very good dry cleaners since he/she completely changed the look of the jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads