• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-sufficient living / off the grid living

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, this topic has been breached before.

Notably here, by me, though that was a short-term vacation thing and irrelevant to the current threak.

And here, in discussing a crappy MTV show.

ITT, I would like to discuss the concept of living off the grid self-sufficiently. There are plenty of sites out there that provide guidance and blogumentaries on how to do this. Looking to get people's opinions on this, and whether they have ever tried it or have known people that have.

Here is my mini-summary as I was listing pros and cons:

Pros

- No more office job
- Minimal living expenses (exception: initial investment is high)
- Organic food and free-range chickens without the high price; healthier living
- In most locales, farming season is only a few months a year. This leaves much of the year for doing whatever you want (with occasional handiwork to be expected)...
-...which means you can basically do whatever you want with your time
- Always have option of farming for 6-7 months of food and then living abroad for another 5 months a year and just taking on jobs to pay the bills as you explore the world (cannot own livestock with this method)

Cons

- Significant initial investment (land, energy system, waste system, setting up garden, purchasing livestock if applicable)
- Fewer creature comforts (e.g. 30-minute showers)
- Almost impossible to find a wife/chicks to boan unless you live in a commune or unless this is a part-time gig (much better to do this once already married, but good luck convincing your wife)
- Socially shunned by many
- Difficult to socialize with the friends I already have as "going out to eat" will become impossible. It is hard to let everyone go, especially without a wife/family of my own to ease the transition/loneliness factor. Again much easier if you already have your own family.
- Cost of health insurance, etc. not covered by job anymore
- Takes several years to ramp up the farm/livestock to where they produce enough food
- Difficult to re-sell as market for self-sustainable houses/land is very small compared to rest of housing market
- Hard to do this in Northeast area due to harsh winter weather. Moving south would mean leaving friends/family behind.
- Have a much harder time saving for retirement without a big fat corporate paycheck

Just food for thought.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I think the biggest 'con' is just how difficult it is to actually raise animals/farm the land

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for all those not presently ignoring me

although i am not the type to pull this kind of stunt, i was born i denver and i love the mountains and the outdoors so i do relate to it. but i need my nightly shower and i am far to deep into my materialistic life (really an sf'er materialistic, i know!!??) to actually live like that at the present. my wife might be on board if i promise to stop wasting our money.

that being said, i do know a good number of people who have grown up like that or have tried it for periods of time and i will say farming is hard as ****. some people say oh i will just farm and live off the land, im so floaty and in tune with mother nature.... well news flash

1. it is back breaking labor
2. getting up at 4AM isnt any easier on the farm than in your seally posturpedic
3. its dirty wotk
4. if you dont know what you are doing you may starve to death
5. there is no starbucks out there
6. you might miss your favorite shows

basically, you cant have both lifestyles going on. you need to commit to one definitively. keep that in mind before you leave your life behind. just sayin'

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the eco-villages? It's a similar concept but done as a community.

It's a nice idea and I have some books on self-sufficient living, though doing it alone if you are in a secluded area would take away from the experience. My interest is also because there will eventually be a time when self-sufficient lifestyles are necessary.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Have you seen the eco-villages? It's a similar concept but done as a community.

It's a nice idea and I have some books on self-sufficient living, though doing it alone if you are in a secluded area would take away from the experience. My interest is also because there will eventually be a time when self-sufficient lifestyles are necessary.

tinfoil.gif

jeez ive been waiting some time to use that

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll tackle these one by one.

Originally Posted by in stitches
1. it is back breaking labor
2. getting up at 4AM isnt any easier on the farm than in your seally posturpedic
3. its dirty wotk
4. if you dont know what you are doing you may starve to death
5. there is no starbucks out there
6. you might miss your favorite shows

basically, you cant have both lifestyles going on. you need to commit to one definitively. keep that in mind before you leave your life behind. just sayin'

1. it is back breaking labor - True, but the volume of farming to support one person is likely lower than to support a family + sell for profit.
2. getting up at 4AM isnt any easier on the farm than in your seally posturpedic - Wouldn't mind it. Just means shifting schedules a bit. Obviously someone who is farming does not go to bed at 2am after binge drinking.
3. its dirty wotk So?
4. if you dont know what you are doing you may starve to death No doubt there would be a steep and lengthy learning curve.
5. there is no starbucks out there Good riddance.
6. you might miss your favorite shows Again good riddance. But not really, because satellite internet would be a must for me. Which means all shows are available via netflix/streaming/torrent/slingbox.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some more modernized books similar to the one above:
The Backyard Homestead
The Encylopedia of Country Living
Back to the Basics

They cover a lot of general information.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing that it was much more cost efficient to use draft animals rather than tractors. Probably more true today than the 20 years ago or so that I saw the statistic.

$5/gal diesel? No problem.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
1. it is back breaking labor - True, but the volume of farming to support one person is likely lower than to support a family + sell for profit.
This doesn't capture the nature of the situation for most. Women and children eat less and are capable of handling time intensive tasks while you handle labor intensive tasks.
4. if you dont know what you are doing you may starve to death No doubt there would be a steep and lengthy learning curve.
And a lot of luck. Start brushing up on your spirituality.
6. you might miss your favorite shows Again good riddance. But not really, because satellite internet would be a must for me. Which means all shows are available via netflix/streaming/torrent/slingbox.

^Do you already have a fund set aside to pay your monthly fees?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2. getting up at 4AM isnt any easier on the farm than in your seally posturpedic - Wouldn't mind it. Just means shifting schedules a bit. Obviously someone who is farming does not go to bed at 2am after binge drinking.
3. its dirty wotk So?
5. there is no starbucks out there Good riddance.

well played grasshopper. dont get me wrong im not advocating against it at all. i just think that many people who claim they would like nothing more than to live like that, have no idea what kind of commitment it requires. you seem to, except for #6
smile.gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- In most locales, farming season is only a few months a year. This leaves much of the year for doing whatever you want (with occasional handiwork to be expected)...
-...which means you can basically do whatever you want with your time

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you have never lived on a farm.

Not to pick on you, but there is a lot more to it than that. This is truly a fascinating subject, though.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am with in stitches. Farming life is hell. Herding is the way to go and you can barter milk and meat for vegetables.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
I am with in stitches. Farming life is hell. Herding is the way to go and you can barter milk and meat for vegetables.
Easier than farming for self-sufficiency, but herding ain't exactly a walk in the park either. I say "ain't" to give credence to my hick life experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads