• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-Measured Suits- Where to get em?

dbush440

Reaction score
Blackstone Tailoring (www.blackstonetailoring.co.uk) offers a self measure "bespoke" suit. I put bespoke in quotes because many dont classify this as bespoke.
Does anybody know of any websites where i can get a self measured, bespoke esque suit from?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get on a plane and fly to a good tailor or in a car and drive.
Bespoke it is not. That would require the selection of the fabric/pattern with consultation from the tailor and recommendations based on factors such as:

1. the event
2. the weather at which you would wear for fabric selection
3. appropriate narrowing of color, pattern etc
4. What you already have and what you now need
5. you body type/shape etc. and objectives to be used to put you in an advatangeous shoulder/cut etc. relative
6. Multiple fittings to refine and shape improve the fit (critical!)

And alot of subtle little extras that make a difference.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Still, it's a good alternative for those who don't have a tailor in their town. (Like myself.) Nice website. I like the "Advise Me" bits that come with customization.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't self measure for a suit!

Self measuring for shirts is hard enough and requires many tweaks, according to the Jantzenites on this board.

To fumble through that many suits would be folly.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Um, if you have someone who knows what they're doing, it's not much a problem. Also, if fitting problems arise you can send the suit back to these companies for alterations.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why this is such a hated thing. It's better than OTR
Some of us can't afford to go to a bespoke tailor and have everything handmade.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90

I did this with Rajawongsee and was happy with the result, but think you would be better off sending a properly tailored RTW suit that fits and let them copy and then tweak the measurements in from there.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90

You don't really mean that, do you? From all I have seen on these boards, I find it very hard to believe that an outfit like Ravi's is going to give you a better garment in the end than, say, an Oxxford or Brioni OTR suit. One exception might be someone who had extensive deformities or physical pecularities that rendered it impossible to get a decent fit with RTW.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
You don't really mean that, do you? From all I have seen on these boards, I find it very hard to believe that an outfit like Ravi's is going to give you a better garment in the end than, say, an Oxxford or Brioni OTR suit. One exception might be someone who had extensive deformities or physical pecularities that rendered it impossible to get a decent fit with RTW.

Might give you a better fit or garment than a RTW suit at the same price. Oxxford and Brioni cost much more than a suit from Ravis.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This idea that one can send some measurements to a far off place and expect a decent suit to return seems stupid.

Maybe send them something to copy but to ask anyone to interpret measurements without seeing the client does not stand up.

I suspect that you would be better going to one of the horrendous fused merchants such as Raja Fashions who travel anywhere that the unsuspecting are to be found. At least their man has taken numbers which fit into their factory's way of working.

Still better - high end RTW with sensitive alterations.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and no such thing as a good as opposed to vaguely OK cheap suit.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
GBR, considering I and some others have had them made with good results, you're wrong.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I meant a better fit. Again people like my self at the ripe age of 15 can't afford a bespoke high end OTR suit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
GBR, considering I and some others have had them made with good results, you're wrong.

Chance

The effort one's cutter puts into 'fitting' cannot be replicated in a few measures.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It sure can't. Doesn't make it horrible though, especially considering you're able to describe or show pictures of your body type, which helps immensely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads