• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-Measured Suits- Where to get em?

Briguy

Reaction score
I was only 20 when I had my first "custom" suit made. I was stationed in Japan and had the suits made in Korea, where I traveled often. At the time (1986) they went for approx USD$110 or so, each. The first two, a grey herringbone 3 piece, and a grey flannel 3 piece, introduced me to a new standard of sartorial bliss. These were a cheap way to learn, and I suspect some of the low-priced mail-order tailors can fill this role adequately for jml90 today.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Oscar Wilde disagrees. He doesn't like this. He says that he has very simple tastes: the best.

And how did things turn out for Mr. Wilde?

Prison was unkind to Wilde's health and after he was released on May 19, 1897 he spent his last three years penniless, in self-imposed exile from society and artistic circles.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
At least he had happy times. Blame the Marquess of Queenbury(sic).

I just read De Profundis last month. It was really kind of sad. I would blame Lord Alfred Douglas more than the Marquess.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I just read De Profundis last month. It was really kind of sad. I would blame Lord Alfred Douglas more than the Marquess.
Lord Alfred Douglas was a bit of a nag-like a sort of prissy Monsieur Bebe as Hemingway might term it.

Reaction score
I've used Blackstone Lewis www.blackstonelewis.co.uk for a couple of years now and they have made some of the best suits I have. I have also used dress2kill and kingandallen and those guys simply charge more for less.
Also, I would stay away from Rakehell as some of my colleagues say that they're simply overpriced for what you get.

The best value for money I ever had was from a Hong Kong tailor back at the end of the 90s - I paid the equivalent of £90 for a wool 2-piece! But I did find the HK tailors too inconsistent so its important to shop around if you ever find yourself considering buying.

Queensberry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michail jean portman
I've used Blackstone Lewis www.blackstonelewis.co.uk for a couple of years now and they have made some of the best suits I have. I have also used dress2kill and kingandallen and those guys simply charge more for less.
Also, I would stay away from Rakehell as some of my colleagues say that they're simply overpriced for what you get.

Blackstone Lewis dont appear to have a functioning website, so I wont comment on them as I have never heard of them before.
As for Dress2Kill, King & Allen and Rakehell. Well I know all of these companies, and know numerous people that have used all three of them.

Dress2Kill are a good company, and although they do not offer the 'bespoke' tailoring that they boldly claim, their made-to-measure tailoring is not bad for the money they charge. Colleagues that have used them have been happy enough with their service.

Nobody I have spoken to has a good word to say about King & Allen, but although they dont offer a great product or service they are certainly cheap (if not cheerful).

As for Rakehell, I think it may be a little unfair to discuss them in the same breath as the other two. As far as I am aware, they offer a Wensum suit (a la Richard James, G&H, Jasper Littman etc) and therefore to say they are overpriced at £450 seems a bizarre comment.
Colleagues that have used speak highly of them, but I have no direct experience with them myself.

studio253

Reaction score
I places three orers with Ravi (mycustomtailor) and haven't ordered from him again in six years. The first two orders went great. I started with two pairs of pants and moved on to some shirts and a suit. The cut and fabric on the first two orders were great. I then got a new job and needed a complete wardrobe. I purchased a dozen shirts, a cashmere overcoat and either four or five suits. Almost everything was miscut. I think he farmed out the work, even though he denied it, because the labels weren't from his shop. He refused to fix the problems.

I haven't ordered from overseas shops since. I have had a couple of things made during travels to asia. I'm having a true bespoke suit made for me now here in Rhode Island. It should be ready some time in January.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics