• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-Measured Suits- Where to get em?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
I meant a better fit. Again people like my self at the ripe age of 15 can't afford a bespoke high end OTR suit.

I'm not sure why anyone at the age of 15 would need any kind of suit. Maybe 1 for special events that your parents buy for you. Why are kids these days in such a rush to grow up?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm not sure why anyone at the age of 15 would need any kind of suit. Maybe 1 for special events that your parents buy for you. Why are kids these days in such a rush to grow up?

werd. when I was 15, the last thing a kid wanted was a suit. Now you have 16 year olds who want to be decked out in Dior Homme suits!!
plain.gif

mano

Reaction score

werd. when I was 15, the last thing a kid wanted was a suit. Now you have 16 year olds who want to be decked out in Dior Homme suits!!

Hmmm, a couple of curmudgeons.
tongue.gif

jml90 appears to be a mature young man who is interested in dressing well.

SF is a good place to be, and you may also want to check out AAAC. Before you know it you'll be invited to join the London Lounge.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mano
tongue.gif

SF is a good place to be, and you may also want to check out AAAC. Before you know it you'll be invited to join the London Lounge.

lol, as one of the only members here who likes Thom Browne, Ozwald Boateng, Duncan Quinn and has a closet that's 50% Paul Smith I don't think I fit into your curmedgeon role
alien.gif

The problem is that at 15, you havent even been wearing clothes for very long with any real understanding of the subtle nuances of how a garment can fit. So it's hard to order something as error prone as a suit over the internet without it being off in many places. And if I remember right (from a previous thread) JML90 has a 50" jacket chest size which means he doesnt have the typical OTR body type that is easy to fix with very minor tweaks. His best bet is to get measured properly by a bespoke tailor. But since the economics of that isnt suited to him, it's a hella crapshoot ordering online throwing out some numbers. I would expect that as he's older and has more experience wearing clothes (suits) he'll know exactly how to communicate his sizing to accomodate his body type.

but whatever. live and learn.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mano
tongue.gif

I'm just sayin' man, when I was 15 (only 10 years ago), if someone gave me $300, I wouldn't spend it on a foreign tailored suit. I might have spent it to hook up my bicycle with some sweet new rims (chrome of course), or I might have spent it eating Philly Cheesesteaks every single day for the whole summer, or I might have spent it playing Mortal Kombat at the arcade, or some kung fu lessons or something. Might have even tried to score some...er...nevermind. Definitely not on a suit.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If people lose their sexual virginity by 14, why not lose your sartorial virginity?

Because both will lead to untimely ruin.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because both will lead to untimely ruin.
Bite your tounge!
I see no reason why myself at 15 would be ruined by having good taste in clothing
confused.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Bite your tounge!
I see no reason why myself at 15 would be ruined by having good taste in clothing
confused.gif

Just because you see no reason doesn't mean that there is no reason. Ever heard of the golden handcuffs? Especially at a time in your life where you have no idea where you're going or what you want to do or how much money you're going to be making or where your passions lie, to develop expensive tastes would indeed be ruinous.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ever heard of the golden handcuffs?
Listen to this man. Else you will worship at their gilded, leaden altar.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Listen to this man. Else you will worship at their gilded, leaden altar.
spoken like one in shackles....

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you see no reason doesn't mean that there is no reason. Ever heard of the golden handcuffs? Especially at a time in your life where you have no idea where you're going or what you want to do or how much money you're going to be making or where your passions lie, to develop expensive tastes would indeed be ruinous.
Take a deep breath and relax. If the worst thing JML does in his teens is spend a couple hundred dollars on a less than superlative suit rather than blow it on video games or fast food, he will be well ahead of his peers.

And to answer the original question, Ravi will be in the NY/NJ area next week, so if you could get an appointment and make it to one of his locations, he could measure you in person. That would work out a lot better than sending in your own measurements.

Queensberry

Reaction score
Not sure that a self measured mail order suit will come back as 'superlative', or for that matter better than something off the peg.
At least buying in a store will give you the chance to try on a few jackets, and dont forget that a nearly perfect jacket could theoretically be adjusted (depending on the work needed) by a local tailor.

My advice would be not to go with a self measured suit. While taking the required measurements is not necessarily that difficult, it is something which someone with experience can do far more effectively than someone without.
And dont forget that there are a great deal of nuances in posture or body shape that you will find very difficult/impossible to identify.

I can appreciate the desire to get a quality suit whether your 15 or 55, as a (well) tailored suit looks infinately better than something off the rack.

However, for the £349 that Blackstone Tailoring offer a 2pc merino wool suit, you would be advised to spend a little bit extra and get a MTM suit from one of the good travelling tailors.
Have a look at:
http://www.jasperlittman.co.uk
http://www.rakehell.co.uk
http://www.nortonandtownsend.co.uk

There are also a few cheaper options (and certainly not of the same quality):
http://www.dress2kill.com
http://www.kingandallen.co.uk
http://www.mandbt.co.uk

Unfortunately I dont know whereabouts you live, and the tailors I mention are based in the south-east. But regardless of where you live, have a look around and see what a local tailor could do for you in terms of made-to-measure.

If you do decide to go with a self measured suit, I would strongly recommend going to a local tailor and have him measure you. Perhaps buy a tie off him as a gesture. Any tailor worth his salt will be pleased to see a 15 year old lad entering the world of tailored clothing.

Good luck with your suit, whatever you decide to do.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if we are gonna make MTM suggestions, then try Mike Sahi.

http://www.suitmaker.com/

I have about 9 of his suits and one tuxedo and they are AWESOME. He travels the country and is my area 4 times per year. I also have about 50 shirts from him - lots of compliments and plenty of material to chose from.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oscar Wilde disagrees. He doesn't like this. He says that he has very simple tastes: the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads