• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-image

quill

Reaction score
Originally, this thread began with a question which no one seemed interested in answering. Then a brave soul named gqelements galloped up, hoisted the banner, and resurrected this near-dead thread. The original question was: Why did you pick your avatar and/or signature, and what does it say about you? (Caution: others may have a differing opinion than you.
biggrin.gif
)

gqelements

Reaction score
.. that smoking is my favorite activity... that I had to quit recently.... Life has not been the same since....

Also that I love the image of Joe Camel, his attitude and midnight style, blues and women..... and smoking....

quill

Reaction score
.. that smoking is my favorite activity... that I had to quit recently.... Life has not been the same since.... Also that I love the image of Joe Camel, his attitude and midnight style, blues and women..... Â and smoking....
WELL. Looks like we have ONE brave soul amongst us. Thank you, gqelements, for baring your soul for all to see. I personally found that very interesting. I won't preach, but I'm glad you're not smoking (and sorry for your loss). But hey, now you can write a good blues riff about your days of smoke having gone up in...well, you get the idea. And who needs the cigs? Just take a look at a beautiful lady, and say, "That lady's SMOKIN. "
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine up to yesterday was Patrick Bateman from American Psycho, which is my favorite book/movie. I identified with him in my first years at college because I wanted to become a corporate banker guy. Then I eventually found out what type of lifestyle these guys lead and dropped those dreams ASAP. I also think he dresses cool and has good taste in fine dining. He made me think that paying attention to your dress is ok.

My avatar now is just some pic I stole from someone on another forum. I figured it was time for change, and though this guy had a cool look, it's very similar to mine with the hair and suit.

JFK

Reaction score
My avatar is a picture of me that was taken in the vestry of what I believe is the oldest Episcopal church in North America. A friend had taken out an ad in the yellow pages advertising herself as a wedding photographer, and when her first potential client asked to see her portfolio, my friend asked me and a group of our other friends to play various roles in a staged wedding so she could take some pictures (as she was just trying to get established as a wedding photographer, she hadn't actually photographed any weddings yet, so she didn't have a portfolio of wedding pictures to show the client); I played the best man.

She ended up getting the job.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine is a pic of Tyrone Power. At its full size it looks a lot like me, and the mini version looks just like me. Which is why I'm using it.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked Office Space.

Also, I like moving pictures.

quill

Reaction score
Wow. I opted out of this thread, since it seemed like nobody cared to chime in. Thanks, guys. Funny enough, there was a thread in another forum asking what members look like, and I think there are almost more pictures of members here than in that thread. Yeah, my avatar was taken of me after I graduated from flight training. I've lost a few quills since then from bad thermals, but my beak is still sharp, eyes still keen, gaze still penetrating. (...spoken by a guy who looks nowhere NEAR what he wishes he looked like
lookaround.gif
)

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(...spoken by a guy who looks nowhere NEAR what he wishes he looked like Â
lookaround.gif
 )
If only we ALL looked like Tyrone Powers.

quill

Reaction score
(quill @ 06 July 2004, 06:43) (...spoken by a guy who looks nowhere NEAR what he wishes he looked like Â
lookaround.gif
 )
If only we ALL looked like Tyrone Powers.
I LOVE the signature attached to your avatar.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I thought Tyler Durden (real) was an amazing character. I loved his part in the movie as well as his narration in the book. Plus, I've been told that I look like Ed Norton a few times.

My signature is from High Fidelity, one of my favorite movies, and it's a quote that I can directly relate to, as I'm sure many other guys can. The book and movie are brilliant.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
one of the funniest tattoos I've ever seen, taken at a convention someplace by somebody.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
le Comte Robert de Montesquiou, a French dandy, and direct descendant of the character made famous by Alexandre Dumas, d'Artagnan.

He would wear Parma violets in his shirt collar instead of a cravat. And that he could claim most of Europe's aristocracy as relatives by blood or marriage.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmmm. Mine says that perhaps I need a haircut, and a subtler suit?

J. found the picture hilarious, I think I'll keep it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads