• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw @kiya - still deciding on the size and type of GoodArt bracelet for me - I've already decided on the Viva for Jen.

Do you think that the 10B is really the thickest that I ought to consider, and it is the sturdiest of their various bracelets/clasps - like, more sturdy than a more typical box and tongue clasp, for example? I want something that wouldn't be phased by a grown man could pulling on it full force!

The other possibility would be the 10C

I even looked at the 10D, but even though I'm bigger than when we last met by a bit, I'm definite not the mountain from GoT. so it's not the bracelet for me. I would need to 2.5x me to be that big.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
btw @kiya - still deciding on the size and type of GoodArt bracelet for me - I've already decided on the Viva for Jen.

Do you think that the 10B is really the thickest that I ought to consider, and it is the sturdiest of their various bracelets/clasps - like, more sturdy than a more typical box and tongue clasp, for example? I want something that wouldn't be phased by a grown man could pulling on it full force!

The other possibility would be the 10C

I even looked at the 10D, but even though I'm bigger than when we last met by a bit, I'm definite not the mountain from GoT. so it's not the bracelet for me. I would need to 2.5x me to be that big.

I think the 10C is the largest you should consider, and that's only if you're really looking for a statement piece of a bracelet.
The 10B is very wearable if you want a heavy bracelet with a serious clasp, though the clasp on all the Model 10 bracelets function the same and are all fairly sturdy.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that they are tts even moreso than most other Japanese denim brands, and in some cases, I've tried on a few that measure under size. It's pretty unforgiving. They really do fit like the STF Levis of old, where you are more likely to size up 2 from everything else you wear.
My thought was to size based on actual waist measurement as opposed to tagged, is that what you are saying?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thought was to size based on actual waist measurement as opposed to tagged, is that what you are saying?
Yes and no. The measurement that you should take is the measurement where you wear your jeans. I like my jeans, even higher rise jeans, to sit loosely on my hips, so I take that into account when I buy jeans. The natural waist is the smallest part of the torso, usually near the navel, and no one wears pants there anymore, afaik. TTS sizing made the most sense when men wore their pants much higher (check out movies from the 50s), much less so these days.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 10C is the largest you should consider, and that's only if you're really looking for a statement piece of a bracelet.
The 10B is very wearable if you want a heavy bracelet with a serious clasp, though the clasp on all the Model 10 bracelets function the same and are all fairly sturdy.
Do you know the weight for each of the different sizes? I have a fairly short vintage bracelet (about 7") that weighs in about about 92g, with link widths of about .7 inches. It has a nice wrist presence on me, but I could definitely pull off something significantly bigger.

Also, can we choose the length of the bracelet? I have about a 7-7.1" wrist, and something about 8" would feel pretty big. Just for comparison's sake, I wear a size M in flathead bracelets, and the wear comfortably, with a bit of space that allows them to move freely on the wrist but without falling to the hand.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you know the weight for each of the different sizes? I have a fairly short vintage bracelet (about 7") that weighs in about about 92g, with link widths of about .7 inches. It has a nice wrist presence on me, but I could definitely pull off something significantly bigger.

Also, can we choose the length of the bracelet? I have about a 7-7.1" wrist, and something about 8" would feel pretty big. Just for comparison's sake, I wear a size M in flathead bracelets, and the wear comfortably, with a bit of space that allows them to move freely on the wrist but without falling to the hand.

We do not know the weight of the bracelets, also keep in mind the weight changes depending on the gauge and the number of links.
You can choose your own length for the bracelet, and for a 7" wrist a bracelet at about 7.75" would generally work pretty well unless you want it a little looser or tighter.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Monitaly Guayabera & Weekend Shirts
We have two new shirts from Monitaly this week from their Spring 2019 collection. They've done their popular guayabera shirt in a new white color and also a weekend shirt made of a 100% cotton water resistant poplin.

Both of these shirts are available now at all 5 of our stores and online.

Shop Monitaly Online

monitaly_poplin_weekend_m_01-680x1025.jpg

monitaly_poplin_weekend_m_07-1025x681.jpg

monitaly_canul_42_01-680x1025.jpg

monitaly_canul_42_04-1025x680.jpg

monitaly_canul_42_07-1025x680.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Introducing Seuvas - All Canvas Everything
We're excited to announce the addition of a new line to our great list of brands by the name of Seuvas. The name "Seuvas" is a portmanteau of blending what they do, "sewing" and "canvas".

Seuvas is a brand dedicated to the art of producing canvas of all weights. They own their own canvas looms and factory which produces their canvas exactly to their specifications for the right look and texture. They even cut and sew all the garments in their own workshop in Kurashiki, Japan using vintage sewing machines so that the canvas reacts with just the right amount of puckering at the seams.

The only external branding on their garments is a single hand-made porcelain button made from clay ore (Amakusa pottery stone) mined in Amakusa City, Kimamoto prefecture, Japan. Amakusa pottery stone is a historic pottery stone that is a raw material which has been used in Japanese pottery since the 17th century. These porcelain buttons are designed by Seuvas and made in the traditional way in Amakusa.

Their first collection consists of two types of canvas for a total of 3 different garments. We have two long sleeve shirts and a coverall jacket. All three of these items are available now at all stores and online.

Shop Seuvas Online

seuvas_workshirt_small_01-680x1025.jpg

seuvas_workshirt_small_04-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_workshirt_small_06-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_workshirt_small_08-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_workshirt_small_09-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_01-680x1025.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_04-1025x681.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_06-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_07-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_08-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_farmer_small_10-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_chore_coat_large_01-680x1025.jpg

seuvas_chore_coat_large_04-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_chore_coat_large_06-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_chore_coat_large_08-1025x680.jpg

seuvas_chore_coat_large_09-1025x681.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Papa Nui Watch Caps, Iron Heart Pocket Thermals, & 3sixteen Short Sleeve Shirts
This week we have a new Japanese-made watch cap made by Papa Nui, an indestructible long sleeve pocket thermal from Iron Heart, and a great short sleeve shirt from 3sixteen's spring line.

All these items are available now in-store and online.

Shop Papa Nui Online

Shop Iron Heart Online

Shop 3sixteen Online

papa_watch_cap_01-680x1025.jpg

papa_watch_cap_03-1025x680.jpg

papa_watch_cap_04-1025x680.jpg

ih_blk_thermal_xl_01-680x1025.jpg

ih_blk_thermal_xl_03-1025x680.jpg

ih_blk_thermal_xl_05-1025x680.jpg

ih_blk_thermal_xl_07-1025x680.jpg

ih_blk_thermal_xl_08-1025x680.jpg

316_navy_floral_ss_large_01-680x1025.jpg

316_navy_floral_ss_large_05-1025x680.jpg

316_navy_floral_ss_large_06-1025x680.jpg

316_navy_floral_ss_large_08-1025x680.jpg

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently working on some black Stevenson La Jolla's (from SE) and some Samurai 710xx (not from SE...just had to specify as I was in a SE thread). I love everything about both EXCEPT the leg opening...I like a strong taper and for both pairs I own, I end up getting them tapered. Which model do you think would work best for a guy looking for something with a mid-high rise, slim, and smaller hem/strong taper from the knee down? Iron Heart 301? Any recs? Maybe I'll just get indigo La Jolla's and taper them again (def not my first choice)

I am starting to shop for a new pair - my Sammies are 19oz and I can't wear them when it gets warmer.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Currently working on some black Stevenson La Jolla's (from SE) and some Samurai 710xx (not from SE...just had to specify as I was in a SE thread). I love everything about both EXCEPT the leg opening...I like a strong taper and for both pairs I own, I end up getting them tapered. Which model do you think would work best for a guy looking for something with a mid-high rise, slim, and smaller hem/strong taper from the knee down? Iron Heart 301? Any recs? Maybe I'll just get indigo La Jolla's and taper them again (def not my first choice)

I am starting to shop for a new pair - my Sammies are 19oz and I can't wear them when it gets warmer.

Sounds like you really need the Stevenson 714 Valencia jean, it's basically exactly what you're asking for.
Either that or the Studio D'Artisan SD-108 or Iron Heart's 633 fit.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Poten Summer 2019 Collection of Caps
Poten's new summer collection of caps is here!

These hats are wild nice, nicer than any other straight ahead baseball cap we've ever seen. They come in cool fabrics, some of which are even technical fabrics (water proof, wind/water resistant, etc..).

Every cap style has a super soft and supple inner leather headband which has been lightly treated so it’s not destroyed by sweat.

The caps have zero exterior branding except for the stitches which you can see from the top of the crown from the interior branding tags being sewn into the center of the crown. The cap has a medium height crown and the brim has a medium length to it with 19 concentric stitches which feel and look pretty cool in person. If you're into baseball caps, you'll love what Poten is doing.

All three of these caps in three completely different fabrics are available now at all stores and online and they're now made down to size XX-Small and up to size Large.

Shop Poten Online

poten_perf_bluegray_01-680x1025.jpg

poten_perf_bluegray_02-1025x680.jpg

poten_perf_bluegray_04-1025x672.jpg

poten_perf_bluegray_05-1025x681.jpg

poten_perf_bluegray_06-1025x680.jpg

poten_perf_bluegray_07-1025x680.jpg

poten_red_cotton_01-681x1025.jpg

poten_red_cotton_02-1025x680.jpg

poten_red_cotton_04-1025x680.jpg

poten_red_cotton_07-1025x680.jpg

poten_navy_nylon_01-681x1025.jpg

poten_navy_nylon_03-1025x681.jpg

poten_navy_nylon_05-1025x680.jpg

poten_navy_nylon_06-1025x680.jpg

poten_navy_nylon_07-1025x680.jpg

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kiya or whoever may know, looking for some jeans that fit like my APC Petit New Standards, but with a longer rise and better construction/denim. Maybe a touch more room in top block too. Thx

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aha... used your cool jeans finder and think I found a candidate in 3sixteen’s ST-100x

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads