1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX - Japanese Denim & More (Iron Heart, 3sixteen, Flat Head, Strike Gold...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Dec 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ten years ago today we opened the first Self Edge in San Francisco. This is me signing the lease inside the space before we took it over. It was never in the plans to have five stores spread across North America; with every new store opening we're floored that we can continue to expand our little store into a new city. Without the support of our longtime friends and clients none of this would have been possible, we sincerely thank every one of you. Demitra and I have poured our lives into this business and it's been one hell of a fun ride, here's to another ten years.

8 people like this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

^ Congratulations. You've done a great job and it's always a pleasure to stop in the NY store or see what new items (pretty much impossible to find elsewhere) show up on your website.

3. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

3sixteen Pop-Up Shop at Self Edge Los Angeles / This Weekend!

[​IMG]

This weekend from November 4 to 6 (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) we'll be hosting a 3sixteen pop-up shop at Self Edge Los Angeles. We’ll have their entire new fall & winter collection for sale including their full line-up of jeans, chinos, t-shirts, and more.

We'll also have a special Self Edge x 3sixteen t-shirt for sale. Limited to 100 tees and printed on 3sixteen's black pocket tees.

There will also be some unseen 3sixteen denim jacket samples and a new jean fit, both made of a completely new denim. These will be available to purchase later this year.

Representatives from 3sixteen will be on hand Friday and Saturday to answer any of your questions about their products or brand. We hope to see you all there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Buzz Rickson Winter Collection of Jackets, Shirts, Whistles, & Watch Caps

We've just received our winter shipment from Buzz Rickson and it includes some items which we've built up some serious wait-lists for.

First off, you know you need a Buzz Rickson whistle, so now we're stocking them for all your whistling needs. These are the original Acme Thunderer style whistles made of brass and a natural cork ball.

Next up with the new run of black mock twist and indigo USN chambray shirts. Both come rinsed and made up to size XXL now.

The William Gibson x Buzz Rickson MA-1 is back in stock, these move very quickly every winter season for us. These are super warm, functional, and are the highest quality MA-1 jackets we've ever seen.

We have also gotten a small run of the heavy melton wool USN pea coat from Buzz Rickson. If you've ever wanted a pea coat, this is the one to buy. Every element of this coat is well thought out, from the 13 star reproduction buttons to the heavy cord inside the hand pockets.

And lastly, watch caps are winter essentials and the ones Buzz Rickson make truly are the best out there. The feel of the wool is super compact and soft and these break in as a good watch cap should, they become better with wear over time.

All these items are available at all of our stores and online in our online store.

http://www.selfedge.com/buzz-rickson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a pair of raw denim jeans with a medium to dark deep shade of brown. Brown in general seems so rare for raw denim. I wonder why it isn't as popular. What brands are currently in stock with brown slim tapper raw denim?

6. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

We've only ever carried one pair of brown raw denim jeans, that was about ten years ago and it was a pair of Sugar Cane jeans. We couldn't give them away so we never ordered brown jeans ever again. But to be honest none of the brands we carry even make a brown jean any more. I believe your best bet would be something from Naked & Famous, they make raw denim jeans in quite a few different colors.

7. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Just did the last price reduction on the remaining items from our Warehouse Sale.

8. Americanaaa

Why do most (if not all) high end selvage denime jeans not use zippers on the front rise?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  9. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Iron Heart Ultra-Heavy Ombre Flannels, Loopwheeled Hoodies, & 633s-14 and 301s-14 Lightweight Jeans

Iron Heart has just hit us with what they do best, heavy flannels and loopwheeled hoodies, just in time for winter.

We now have their new ombre snap flannels made of an ultra-heavy brushed cotton flannel in two colors along with a new run of their heavyweight loopwheeled zippered hoodies in black.

Along with these items we've received a fresh run of the very popular 633s-14 lightweight straight tapered jean and 301s-14 lightweight slim tapered jean.

Shop Iron Heart Online

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Two reasons.. a lot of high end selvedge denim is unsanforized so when the jean shrinks about 10% the zipper tape becomes wrinkled and the zipper is rendered nearly useless. The other reason is zippers fail, and if you plan on wearing your jeans for a long time you want buttons which don't fail often. If a button fails the repair is extremely easy and quick, where as with a zipper it's an ordeal to change the zipper on a pair of jeans compared to putting a new button in.

1 person likes this.
  11. Americanaaa

makes sense, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  12. Markboots

Markboots Well-Known Member

I just wanted to thank Kiya for his fast response to all my email questions, fast shipping and awesome products. In the past 11 days, I bought 3 pairs of Real Japan Blues and 2 pairs of Imperial Denim. I went kind of denim crazy, but with the current Warehouse sale how could I not?

I can't believe there are still items available on the Warehouse sale.

Thanks Kiya!

Regards,
    Mark

13. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the orders Mark! Hope to see you around our SF shop sometime soon.
    We've filled to the brim with fall/winter items now too.

14. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Introducing Nine Lives - From A Dark Tokyo Night

We'd like to introduce you to Nine Lives, the newest label in our stable of brands at Self Edge.

Nine Lives is a Tokyo based brand which uses Japan's wide breadth of textile and garment manufacturing expertise as its baseline for design and inspiration. They've taken much of what we're familiar with at Self Edge and given it an updated feel while using many of the manufacturing techniques our client base is already familiar with.

All their leathers are custom tanned, their loopwheeled fleeces are produced exactly to their specifications, their indigo-dyed sashiko fabric was built for them from the ground up, and their jacquard fabrics will impress even the biggest Flat Head fans. To say this is an impressive first season for a new line is an understatement.

For the first shipment we offer a yak hide and sashiko jacket, a cowhide and sashiko varsity in two colors, a dual-tone loopwheeled crewneck sweater in two colors, and a super heavy natural indigo-dyed henley.

This collection is available now at all Self Edge stores.

Shop Nine Lives Online

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cloudshift

cloudshift Well-Known Member

Quite interested in IRON HEART 633S-14. Can anyone comment on the "character" of the denim? I had some Triple Works years ago, and the denim was extremely tightly woven, unlike any I'd seen before. Does this new denim "breathe" well? At only 14 oz, would you say it's cool or hot? Sorry if this has been addressed, I did some searching and came up with not much additional information. Thanks for any help/direction!

16. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

This newer IH fabric is a completely different thing than the TW denim from years ago. This one has more character and has a slightly looser weave so it breathes more. I'ts definitely a comfortable jean right off the bat, i'd say one of the most comfortable styles we sell out of all 65 models of jeans we stock.

1 person likes this.
  17. Americanaaa

how would you characterize/describe the 666s-II Indigo/Indigo Denim and its weave? I got these from yall and they aren't like any other denim ive had before.

18. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

That denim is a fairly tightly woven with a super saturated fiber that makes the fabric almost look like a canvas weave. Those jeans ages in a really wild way with a lot of contrast.

1 person likes this.
  19. Americanaaa

Thinking of going in on some of the sugar cane that just got stocked.

I'm looking for a black pair of jeans that will fade fairly fast.

20. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Sugar Cane Winter Collection & Cowhide Type II Jacket

We've just received a shipment of shirts, jackets, and more from Toyo including a standout cowhide Type II jacket.

All the new jackets and shirts are available now along with a full restock of all jean models.

http://www.selfedge.com/sugar-cane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]