Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX - Japanese Denim & More (Iron Heart, 3sixteen, Flat Head, Strike Gold...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Dec 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

In that case i wouldn't travel to Japan, because he's definitely not the only one.
    I see one person a day with a swastika on their jacket/bag/tee in Tokyo.

Please explain this phenomenon.

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

as the other posters noted, the swastika was not originally a nazi symbol. it has a lot of roots in other cultures, especially in asia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

yes but:

a. as kiya said that specific iteration of the swakista is pretty uniquely nazi

b. if its a festival celebrating products with an american heritage, perhaps have the common sense not to fucking glorify a regime that cost tens of millions of their lives?

that kid is a douchebag, cultural divide or no

4. randomkoreandude

yes but:

a. as kiya said that specific iteration of the swakista is pretty uniquely nazi

b. if its a festival celebrating products with an american heritage, perhaps have the common sense not to fucking glorify a regime that cost tens of millions of their lives?

that kid is a douchebag, cultural divide or no

oh i wasnt really defending that picture. i was more speaking of what kiya said about not going to japan because the symbol (generic) is all over tokyo and the rest of asia

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

oh i wasnt really defending that picture. i was more speaking of what kiya said about not going to japan because the symbol (generic) is all over tokyo and the rest of asia
    the point is that the specific iteration of the nazi swastika is not the same as other versions (such as those in religious faiths), and its pretty easy to distinguish between them. there are lots of examples of glorification of nazi-ism/hitler in korea and japan, which is fucking retarded regardless of the intent behind the action.

6. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

[​IMG]
    LOL How can a society truely understand something if it is completely taboo, never to be seen or heard? In my mind having this assholes worship hitler in public in japan is a good thing, a good chunk of the japanese population apparently do not know about WW2.

7. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

what? is this the self edge thread? this has been discussed many times before.

8. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

It's not just Japan. From what I've seen, Thailand and other asian countries also have a lot of nazi/swastika memorabilia. I've never really gotten very upset by it because I question how much education other nations put towards WW2/the holocaust and such. I'd think the impact WW2 had on Japan would have them pass on the knowledge, but the shirt design could be more for shock or maybe they're just more light-hearted. Who knows, i'm tired.

9. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Wonder how a "Little Boy" shirt would go over there...hmmmm....

Cool pics though.

10. randomkoreandude

hey i read on inventory that you guys will be stocking their mag. is this just an in-store thing, or will it eventually be placed on the website?

11. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

12. Tarwater

Tarwater Active Member

Modern American bikers sometimes wear the swastika as a symbol of intimidation or defiance.

Maybe it caught on in Japan.

13. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

hey i read on inventory that you guys will be stocking their mag. is this just an in-store thing, or will it eventually be placed on the website?

We'll have the magazine in about two weeks at the most, and we'll be selling it online as well as both stores.

14. mfais

mfais Senior member

kiya i saw on superfuture that ur gonna have a new flathead collab with lightning and the festival thing? r u gonna sell it online? when is it gonna be up?

15. randomkoreandude

We'll have the magazine in about two weeks at the most, and we'll be selling it online as well as both stores.

sweet ... that saves me a lot on shipping from canada

thanks!