• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

self defense techniques to counter, prevent neck tie attacks

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
So the other day I was enjoying some beers at a pub. I was watching some soccer game on the t.v. and made a joke about soccer. Sure enough the one bloke who took offense at my silly, meaningless joke stood up to assault me. Luckily he was wearing a tie. I grabbed at his tie--more like pulled on the tie with all my might--and forced him down to my height (he was at least 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than I). His instinct was to avoid being choked, so his hands were occupied....

OK I am just kidding this never happened. But the few times I have worn a tie I wonder, what if some jerk pulls down on my tie. If you've ever been out and about you know these kind of guys are a dime a dozen.

I know that some police wear clip on ties to prevent any sort of attack using the tie.

But what if I don't want to wear a clip on, as in I just got out of work and headed out to a bar....

Does anyone know of any self defense courses that address such a potential problem? I haven't heard of any, even with the craze of mixed martial arts and such.

I am serious. I couldn't find any in my quick search. I propose an I-gent's course if you will.
 

PBristolJr

Active Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Galco Miami Classic II with my glock 36 .45 acp loaded under my blazer, is how I prevent them.
 

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
Galco Miami Classic II with my glock 36 .45 acp loaded under my blazer, is how I prevent them.
Obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon in Los Angeles CA is not a viable option and I do not intend to break the law.
Originally Posted by rathebaindc
I have no clue where you live, but seriously, wtf? If you are really worried about this, you need to go out in another neighborhood, stop being paranoid, or grow up.
See above.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Pugilism is so not SF approved. My biggest worry about wearing a tie is if my priaprism is at the correct angle.

I have not, nor have ever nor will ever endorsed an unprovoked attack. I am not talking about pugilism, more like how to counter a pugnacious person who scoffs at your tie and fancy shoes and thinks he is being cute and or smart by initiating an attack by pulling on your tie, which tie is conveniently knotted around your neck.
 

Mudhiker

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2010
Messages
369
Reaction score
4
Here's my simple solution. Careful though, it will probably land you in jail for manslaughter or at least assault. Learn how to do a real volleyball serve. Then, when someone is threatening you, treat his nose like the ball. Use your palm, driven by the full strength of your upper body, to shove his nose to the ceiling. At great speed. He will be blind, bleeding, and in great pain. You will not break your hands as you would if you used a fist. Retreat to safety and wait for the cops to come and arrest you, because your life as you knew it is now over. The one advantage to this technique compared to others is that you are not using anything that might be construed as a "weapon," which usually results in harsher sentencing.

If he's already grabbed your necktie and you can't hit his face, kick his knees or knee him in the balls.

Seriously though, fighting is stupid, and fantasizing about it is too. I learned that in 7th grade. Broke his nose, received a concussion, teacher let us "shake and be done with it" instead of going to the principle.
 

PBristolJr

Active Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon in Los Angeles CA is not a viable option and I do not intend to break the law.

Unfortunate.
 

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
...

I am not "fantasizing about violence." Either everyone responding has lived a sheltered life or they are just being (understandably) tongue-in-cheek about such a topic, which I think is the case.

I am familiar with the palm technique. But even in your tongue-in-cheek post, you point out how in such a neck tie attack you might be forced into an awkward position, leading to wild kicking "at the knees or groin." The point of learning techniques, as I understand it, is to establish control on your part, not fall into panic attack mode.
 

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
41,710
Reaction score
64,488
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale

I have not, nor have ever nor will ever endorsed an unprovoked attack. I am not talking about pugilism, more like how to counter a pugnacious person who scoffs at your tie and fancy shoes and thinks he is being cute and or smart by initiating an attack by pulling on your tie, which tie is conveniently knotted around your neck.


hanging around anything remotely pugnacious is still not SF approved.
 

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
684
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Pugilism is so not SF approved. My biggest worry about wearing a tie is if my priaprism is at the correct angle.


Whoops.
 

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
684
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
So the other day I was enjoying some beers at a pub. I was watching some soccer game on the t.v. and made a joke about soccer. Sure enough the one bloke who took offense at my silly, meaningless joke stood up to assault me. Luckily he was wearing a tie. I grabbed at his tie--more like pulled on the tie with all my might--and forced him down to my height (he was at least 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than I). His instinct was to avoid being choked, so his hands were occupied....

OK I am just kidding this never happened. But the few times I have worn a tie I wonder, what if some jerk pulls down on my tie. If you've ever been out and about you know these kind of guys are a dime a dozen.

I know that some police wear clip on ties to prevent any sort of attack using the tie.

But what if I don't want to wear a clip on, as in I just got out of work and headed out to a bar....

Does anyone know of any self defense courses that address such a potential problem? I haven't heard of any, even with the craze of mixed martial arts and such.

I am serious. I couldn't find any in my quick search. I propose an I-gent's course if you will.


How about this:

When entering potentially rough and rowdy environment... take off tie.

Or better yet:

Do not enter potentially rough and rowdy environment.

If all else fails, keep your hands up and above his during pre-fight posturing, so that when he attempts said tie-grab, you can clang him but good.

After that, you can proceed to call your attorney from the lockup.
 

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
...


What? This makes no sense. So you get your wallet stolen, you report it and the officer tells you "you should have left your wallet at home..." Some things can't be avoided, hence the need to learn some counter measures.
 

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
684
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I am not "fantasizing about violence." Either everyone responding has lived a sheltered life or they are just being (understandably) tongue-in-cheek about such a topic, which I think is the case.

I am familiar with the palm technique. But even in your tongue-in-cheek post, you point out how in such a neck tie attack you might be forced into an awkward position, leading to wild kicking "at the knees or groin." The point of learning techniques, as I understand it, is to establish control on your part, not fall into panic attack mode.


Uhm... Wrong forum, dude.

Seriously.

You might like to direct your query to the serious MA-types on Martial Talk or the hardcore Street MMA T-Rexes at Total Protection Interactive. Note: for TPI, you must register in order to read what's posted.

And BTW: the palm-heel deathblow to the nose is naught but a myth. Sorry to burst your bubble, friend. I'm sure it'll feel better in the morning.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Unless you are cold eyed. Then its OK.

 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 93 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 165 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 86 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 32 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 32 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,667
Messages
9,203,292
Members
193,242
Latest member
judysparks330

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top