• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self-alterations?

magnus

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone does alterations on their own clothes. i am really thin, and i often dont like the fit of some of my t-shirts, and want to take them in a bit, and i figure its not worth going to the tailor for (in high school, it's a bit pretentious to have your everyday clothes tailored). i dont want to pay for made-to measure clothes for everything, but i want my clothes to fit better. at the same time, im working out and trying to bulk up a little.

so my question is, does anyone do this or has tried it? and is it worth the time/effort? i aced home ec, if that counts haha.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you are in high school, two suggestions...
1. Cheeseburgers - these will help
2. Take a Home economics course in sewing - guys may laugh but there will be a 16:1 ratio of girls to you in the class. You will find at least one A student among them willing to sew for you if you are sweet to her.

(alternatively, pay attention in that class and learn yourself :) )

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, instead of cheeseburgers (well, occationally they are okay, just don't eat 4 burgers or 7 tacos at a time to try and bulk up like my housemate did), try lifting weights and taking a product called "whey protein" after you lift. Basically, it helps you put on more muscle-mass when you take it soon after you lift. The taste isn't too bad (try strawberry) and it comes in powder form that you mix into milk or water (milk is a LOT better). Its about $30 for a huge 5-pound container that will last you a long time.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VersaceMan - at age 18 I was winning powerlifting contestsand bodybuilding contests. At 35 I awoke to the realization that time and gravity were my adversaries when several well-meaning college kids tried to push me back into the ocean.

Enjoy it now my son, you too will be mortal and subject to gluteal expansion syndrome.

Seriously - they make thimbles large enough for big strong guys - if anyone suggests you are not masculine because you can sew here's a few tips:

1. Chicks dig guys who can cook and sew.
2. If the fellas give you sh.t just slap them with your purse and scratch their eyes out
3. 10 years from now you'll laugh about the time that the opinion of those who were not your wife or kid really mattered.

...learn to sew and iron well now - ugly dudes who dress/dance well and are relatively funny always land the cute women. If you ignore the rest, work on funny, it lasts longer

Pink22m

Reaction score
Well said Carlo. You only reinforced my plans to take some cooking classes this summer.
smile.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...learn to sew and iron well now - ugly dudes who dress/dance well and are relatively funny always land the cute women.  If you ignore the rest, work on funny, it lasts longer
Also, learn to cook. Well. Gourmet, even. I can't tell you how many times my girlfriend has been impressed by the fact that I can make some tasty dishes. Girls may try to act as if they are on a diet all the time, but the fact-of-the-matter is that I haven't come across a girl that didn't LOVE food. Nothing wins over a lady better than a meal you made yourself.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I'm in high school and I do my own minor alterations. I haven't taken a sewing or economics class. I also don't suggest you do what I did. I basically dove into it, but I did achieve good results. By minor alterations, I mean hems, buttons, things like that. I've never had to take in a t-shirt, but I don't see how hard it would be. Turn it inside out, put it on, and see if you can pin off the excess fabric that you don't want. Sew, then cut. I never cut then sew. Just in case it comes out wrong, I could use the seam ripper and do the project over again. If you have a serger, use that to do the cutting after you've already sewn. It will serge the raw edges to prevent fraying.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...learn to sew and iron well now - ugly dudes who dress/dance well and are relatively funny always land the cute women.  If you ignore the rest, work on funny, it lasts longer
Paging johnsmith . . . we have your third method.

magnus

Reaction score
thanks for the responses. i'll try out the things you suggested, or some combination of them, anyway.

i've heard of whey protein before, but never really looked into it, so i'll try it. and i dont know how the topic turned to cooking, but i like to think i have some kitchen skills. and highroller, your response was what i was hoping for.

ugly dudes who dress/dance well and are relatively funny always land the cute women

the dressing part i have mostly under control. the dancing needs some serious work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads