• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Alterations: to do, or not to do...

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
Heya folks,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I recently came into possession of a nifty used jacket... really cool, almost classic. It's got the elbow padding things and all. It was used, and my size
biggrin.gif
Only $8.00!!

Anyway, there is a couple things about it. To get the arms brought up ('cause my arms are too short
frown.gif
) will cost about $15-20... which is more than the jacket cost. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do it themselves and would teach me?
smile.gif

Also, the front waist pockets on it are strange looking. They look like the front breast pocket on a standard button-up dress shirt... where they are on the outside rather than inside of the jacket. They also don't have those fancy little flap things on them either. So, is this normal? If not, would it be possible to remove the outside pockets and fashion them into the little flappy things and then sew them on so it looked like there were pockets there covered with flaps even though they would be fake? There is definitely enough fabric available to do that, just wondering how weird the other style is...
smile.gif

Wow... what a rant. Sorry... Anyway, thanks SO MUCH to anyone willing to help me with this!

HT*

* As you can see... I'm not much of a hand tailor
frown.gif

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Sleeves are very time consuming to do, and very difficult to do right if you are a novice -- mainly because getting the lining right is very tough. Go ahead and experiment if you want, but you'll probably screw it up and it will take a couple hours for you to give up.

The pockets you are referring to are sometimes seen on a sportcoat -- they are called patch pockets. Leave them. Trying to fashion faux flap pockets might be impossible, but definitely would be stupid.

trogdor

Reaction score
I'd recommend this book: on amazon It's pretty good for showing you how to do this sort of thing -- I followed it quite successfully on a couple of thrift store jacket sleeve alterations. Time consuming, but no more than a couple of hours in front of the TV on a sunday night.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sleeves aren't too bad, but they are definitely time consuming. I'm not going to go step-by-step on it, but the main hint I will give you for now is to only take apart one at a time so you can see how it goes back together. And also (apparently a lot of people don't know this) your iron is the most useful tool in terms of doing alterations. Pressing seams open and pressing allowances back before sewing them down, etc. will save you a ton of hassle. There's really no way to do it right without using an iron.

Oh yeah, and leave those patch pockets.

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
I alter my pants by myself, and yes, always use an iron... would be impossible to line things up without it.

As for that book... it looks cool, but I cannot imagine buying a $20 book just to avoid getting the $15 professional alterations on an $8 jacket...
confused.gif
But! I just might try to find it cheaper elsewhere!
biggrin.gif

As for those pockets, could I get an opinion on which pocket type you all think is better? I'm the kinda guy who would readily do a 5 hr sewing job just to get a 2% improvement
tounge.gif
confused.gif

Thanks for the quick replies folks,
HT

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hand Tailored
As for that book... it looks cool, but I cannot imagine buying a $20 book just to avoid getting the $15 professional alterations on an $8 jacket...
confused.gif
But! I just might try to find it cheaper elsewhere!
biggrin.gif

It's an investment.
tounge.gif
But yeah, there's a good chance your local library will have some sewing books that include tailored sleeve building.
As for those pockets, could I get an opinion on which pocket type you all think is better? I'm the kinda guy who would readily do a 5 hr sewing job just to get a 2% improvement
tounge.gif
confused.gif

Patch pockets are completely classic, stylish, and fashionable on casual jackets - frankly, I'm kind of shocked you think they're anything unusual. Patch breast pockets, OTOH, are an abomination.
wink.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I prefer jetted flapped hip pockets for the most part, but that would be a huge alteration even if you do have the material to do it (I'm not sure). We haven't seen the jacket, so I have no idea how weird yours look, but probably no one will notice but you.

If you wanted to make fake flapped pockets (which I guess... you could...) you'd basically just sew rectangles out of the pocket material and sew the tops on.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heya folks,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I recently came into possession of a nifty used jacket... really cool, almost classic. It's got the elbow padding things and all. It was used, and my size
biggrin.gif
Only $8.00!!

Anyway, there is a couple things about it. To get the arms brought up ('cause my arms are too short
frown.gif
) will cost about $15-20... which is more than the jacket cost. So, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do it themselves and would teach me?
smile.gif

Also, the front waist pockets on it are strange looking. They look like the front breast pocket on a standard button-up dress shirt... where they are on the outside rather than inside of the jacket. They also don't have those fancy little flap things on them either. So, is this normal? If not, would it be possible to remove the outside pockets and fashion them into the little flappy things and then sew them on so it looked like there were pockets there covered with flaps even though they would be fake? There is definitely enough fabric available to do that, just wondering how weird the other style is...
smile.gif

Wow... what a rant. Sorry... Anyway, thanks SO MUCH to anyone willing to help me with this!

HT*

* As you can see... I'm not much of a hand tailor
frown.gif

its not the 15-20 dollars,its the feeling of accomplishment. go for it.
your library will have books to help you. if not they may get them on loan for you from other librarys. brouse through the sleeve altering chapter select the ones that have the clearest text and diagrams. make copys of these.
hint-do one sleeve at atime so you have the finished one to refer to.
the only problem is to determin the amount to be shortened. ask a friend to help. one sleeve may be longer that the other.
once you master the sleeves,cuffing trousers is a snap.

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
I already hand blind stitch my pants... Are you saying that if I can do that, I can do sleeves!?!?!?
biggrin.gif

Yippee. off to the store tomorrow to get some super duper heavy-weight thread!

Thanks all!
HT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads