• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selecting shoes that can be worn with Khaki pants and Jeans...

greenrebellion

Reaction score
First post, so please be nice
smile.gif
I searched and read a bunch of old threads on this subject but still am a bit confused on shoes (i've always found shoes very confusing!). A lot of the threads I looked through had pictures that no longer worked so they weren't as helpful as they probably were when they were first posted. Anyway, I bought these pants recently in the "wheat" color. They are jean cut but still nice enough that they can be dressed up with a button up shirt, nice shoes etc. I also bought these shoes in black. I essentially would like a pair of nice loafer style shoes that are flexible enough to be worn for dressier occasions with Khaki colored pants, and that also can also be worn with a pair of nice dark blue jeans. Can anyone help, especially on points of square toe/cap toe and best color choice? I'm in my mid 20's if that matters at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greenrebellion
First post, so please be nice
smile.gif

I searched and read a bunch of old threads on this subject but still am a bit confused on shoes (i've always found shoes very confusing!). A lot of the threads I looked through had pictures that no longer worked so they weren't as helpful as they probably were when they were first posted.

Anyway, I bought these pants recently in the "wheat" color. They are jean cut but still nice enough that they can be dressed up with a button up shirt, nice shoes etc. I also bought these shoes in black.

I essentially would like a pair of nice loafer style shoes that are flexible enough to be worn for dressier occasions with Khaki colored pants, and that also can also be worn with a pair of nice dark blue jeans. Can anyone help, especially on points of square toe/cap toe and best color choice?

I'm in my mid 20's if that matters at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shoes can be confusing at first. However, the one thing that you should not be confused about puting Ecco shoes back in the box and returning them as quick as you can to where you bought them. Then, never, ever buy another pair of Ecco shoes. Those shoes are quite terrible and should not be worn by anyone. There are lots of threads here on what to look for in shoes and that breaks pretty much every rule (rubber, square-toes, logo, etc). I have found that a good pair of loafers is hard to come by.

Shoes, in my opinion, that can be worn in more casual settngs have broguing, wingtips, suede, or other such casual details. I find that brown shoes also work better with casual wear.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15-02-2011_uniworks_chino_sand_detail5.jpg
+
g730bur-1.jpg
= job done! Remember to size one whole size down, when buying loafers! Trust me, a lot of people say this and for good reason—I have these shoes, so I know!

greenrebellion

Reaction score
Those look pretty sharp JapanAlex, I like the color too. I assume they can be worn with jeans since others have mentioned tassel loafers.

For some reason I always viewed tassel loafers as something only "old" people wore, not sure where I got that impression.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean, but you will learn to love well crafted shoes! When I was a little younger, it took me a while to understand why these are better shoes—they are well made! A lot of the cheep, Clarks-ish slip-ons are just poor quality/shape/colour/etc! You want something that has a nice shape, colour, is durable (i.e. high quality leather) and is comfortable, too! These are a slightly more modern looking loafer—a lot of (more expensive) loafers you see tend to be in a more classic shape—something that can take time, again, to adjust to! Plus, these are the kind of shoes young, hipsters will say wow too and will also appeal to old-timers (who understand craftsmanship)! Anyway, if you need some help finding a shape/price loafer/any other shoe don't be afraid to hit me up—I can show you some sites. Are you U.S. or U.K. based? And yeah, these can be worn with jeans! Some may say that the black version would be more versatile and, while I agree in essence, this particular shoe, in this colour, rocks! More traditional style:
WILTON_BLK-300.jpg
Suede loafers are 1. cooler and 2. more comfortable! (I would suggest leather, for your first pair, though!):
p-cavendish-sue-300.jpg
The hardest thing, for most people, to overcome is that attention to aesthetic beauty doesn't have to be arrogant!

greenrebellion

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, this has been really helpful and has given me a lot of options to look into. After thinking about it, I think I may end up going with a non-black shoe - the burgundy above looked really nice, just not sure I'm sold on tassels
smile.gif
, brown or burgundy shoes seem a bit more versatile for casual wear, plus I will end up buying a pair of black lace up shoes for when I wear a suit anyway. JapanAlex - I am US based if you have any site recommendations.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G.H. Bass do great shoes, for cheap! I have 3 pairs from them and, while they take a few times to walk in, they are always a very nice shape/colour/price! https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/ I also agree with the above—Clarks Originals, brown, suede Desert Boots suit (certain shades of) jeans, beige, greens, greys, navy and red! I have a brown pair and a sand pair! Some people may claim they are too casual—but, for this modern age, they have a truly great shape and are very comfortable! One word of warning, though—only the brown, suede, and sand (and black but why buy desert boots in black?!)! The blue ones I'm on the fence for, and the zebra ones are cool-ish! The others, especially the beeswax ones, look horrible! http://www.endless.com/Clarks-Origin...ressRedirect=1 Ox-blood loafers are nice. Brown are great, too! Like you said, black lace-ups for a formal/suit shoe! I understand your (ingrained) fear of tassels—like someone else said, penny loafer (what you do is, put a penny in the gap, at the front—for added style, don't ask why!)!
wink.gif
Good luck, and don't be a stranger! *no **** eroticism

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greenrebellion
Those look pretty sharp JapanAlex, I like the color too. I assume they can be worn with jeans since others have mentioned tassel loafers.

For some reason I always viewed tassel loafers as something only "old" people wore, not sure where I got that impression.

I hate tassel loafers. Don't get talked into buying something you don't really like.

I like Patek, Lance and Notorious ideas.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
Also recommend a walnut colored brogue or half brogue:
1635_HiRes.jpg

Nah, unless combined with the perfect coloured suit, these are gross—too gold/shiny/tacky-looking, imo (no offence!). I wasn't talking him into buying tassel loafers..?! I was talking him out of poor desert boot colours, though (read first!)! I prefer tassel loafers to penny loafers—penny loafers look too pork-pie-ish, for my tastes, but I wouldn't ever say that my opinion was fact or push someone to share my opinion?! (Apart from said desert boots—which is just plain sense, really?! ;p)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads