1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. spertia

spertia Senior member

The recent Seiko Design Project models for me shows how much the brand strives to better themselves.

Are these watches available for purchase or just prototypes?

2. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

Seiko= some of the best value in watches today. My Seiko Monster diver kicks the shit out of my Brietling Chronomat for time keeping ability for a 10th of the price.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

One of my favorite $300 Seiko Spirits -- a bit of a "poor man's" Grand Seiko for a fraction of the price.

[​IMG]

Twotone

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Here's my casual wear Seiko 5 mod with new dial and hands:

[​IMG]

Twotone

I love that, how did you get that dial? Put on yourself or someone else?

5. East Oakland

East Oakland Senior member

The recent Seiko Design Project models for me shows how much the brand strives to better themselves. And the models aren't bad at all:

Yes, it's nice to see that someone is working on new movements and designs in the high-end market. I, haven't seen it in person, but the new Seiko Springdirve movement seems pretty cool.

Compare that to Rolex which hasn't changed anything in, what, 40 years? ETA/Omega isn't much better. With their stranglehold on the high-end Swiss watch market, not much reason for them to try to improve, I guess.

6. Chouse

Chouse Senior member

I love Seikos! Great value for the price and they offer some very subtle/ plain designs.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I like my Spirit quite a bit. I normally wear it with a grosgrain band:

[​IMG]

- B

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

I like mine. Going on 28 years. I imagine it's a cheapie - what does 'Quartz' mean (it's on the dial under 'Seiko')?

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

I like mine. Going on 28 years. I imagine it's a cheapie - what does 'Quartz' mean (it's on the dial under 'Seiko')?

Means it has a quartz movement. It takes a battery

10. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Yes, Seiko is generally criminally underrated - outside of Japan and WIS/collector circles, that is.

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

The recent Seiko Design Project models for me shows how much the brand strives to better themselves. And the models aren't bad at all:

[​IMG]

I want this. [​IMG]

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I am especially partial to the Seiko divers, but they have something for everybody. No watchmaker provides more bang for the buck than Seiko. Certain models (SKX007 for example) are icons. The range of different models available is mind boggling when you also look at the Seiko 5 line and the Asia-only lines.

13. dshin

dshin Senior member

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

Means it has a quartz movement. It takes a battery

This is true. I've replaced the battery several times (and the crystal once), and gone through a bunch of bands. Is a quartz movement any more/less desireable than a mechanical movement (if that's the right word - the kind you need to wind)? What about the one that winds itself when you move your wrist (self-winding?)?

15. East Oakland

East Oakland Senior member

This is true. I've replaced the battery several times (and the crystal once), and gone through a bunch of bands. Is a quartz movement any more/less desireable than a mechanical movement (if that's the right word - the kind you need to wind)? What about the one that winds itself when you move your wrist (self-winding?)?

All depends on what you want. Mechanical movements are generally preferred by watch aficionados for aesthetic reasons, and most people who collect watches collect watches with mechanical movements. But they don't keep time as well as quartz. In fact, the introduction of the quartz movement drove most of the Swiss watchmakers into bankruptcy in late 70's & early 80's.

If you are even asking this question, you probably aren't a watch aficionado, so no real reason for you to move away from quartz. A functioning mechanical watch will cost you at least $500 new, and a good one will cost you at least $1500 new. An Omega or Rolex will gnerally cost much, much more.

That said, there are big differences in quartz movements. When most people think of quartz movements they think of the cheap ones in low-end Chinese watches (Fossil) that have gears made of plastic. There are high-end quart movements as well--good Japanese ones (that you generally can't buy in the US) have an accuracy of -/+ 20 seconds a year, cheaper ones -/+ 20 seconds a month or worse. A top-notch mechanical movement (new/in good repair) will generally have an accuracy of -/+ 3 seconds a day at best, but usually worse. There now also a lot of quartz watches with radio control as well, meaning they are set automatically each day by a radio signal.

16. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Senior member

17. forex

forex Senior member

18. inviscid

inviscid Senior member

19. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm interested in a thin cheap formal watch -- simple face, silver case, no second hand, black leather band... and I keep coming back to the sub-$100 Seikos I find on eBay as an alternative to a run-of-the-mill Skagens. Are there any particular models to keep an eye out for from a wicked-thin standpoint?

20. Spilotro

Spilotro Senior member

Not a fan of the styling generally, but I do like a few that are seen in this thread. I tend to prefer slimmer, more simple designs.