1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

I recently bought an orange face Seiko monster as a beater watch for work:

[​IMG]

So far so good [​IMG]

myke

2. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

I've also got this one from last year: [​IMG] myke

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Check out the first picture.

^ Fvcked up! Now maybe aportnoy should do a group shot of his shoe collection.

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

5. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

I understand that sub-$200 Seikos (such as the 5 series) are essentially disposable watches one throws away once they stop functioning, but what about the medium-to-high priced Japanese domestic market Seiko mechanicals?

When a watch that costs, say $500, requires service (e.g. movement overhaul), what does the buyer do? Service it locally with a watchmaker, send to Seiko's US service center or send back to Japan?

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

[​IMG]

So far so good [​IMG]

myke

Nice looking watch bro - been thinking of procuring an OM too, my current beater is a Seiko Black Monster. A lot of watch for the money.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Here's one that's almost identical. The shape is a bit different and It doesn't have a see through back.

Thanks for this. I will consider getting it.

8. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

I understand that sub-$200 Seikos (such as the 5 series) are essentially disposable watches one throws away once they stop functioning, but what about the medium-to-high priced Japanese domestic market Seiko mechanicals?

When a watch that costs, say $500, requires service (e.g. movement overhaul), what does the buyer do? Service it locally with a watchmaker, send to Seiko's US service center or send back to Japan?

Hopefully someone can give me some advice, my situation is similar to the hypothetical one here.

I have the Seiko 5 military, same one as in Wes Bourne's pic above. After about year, it's starting to run a little fast... about 12 seconds fast per minute, actually. I took it to a local watch repair place in Toronto and was quoted $50 to service it. Since this is essentially the price of the watch, I declined. Is this a fair price to service my watch? On one hand I could use the money towards another Seiko (looking at the monster diver), on the other it seems wasteful to let the current one just sit there. Thoughts?

9. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

I'm gonna be the proud pa of a Seiko (my first), hopefully by the weekend. Nothing fancy, just the chrono with the big black face, orange hands, brushed case (I suppose I could get a pic going after I get it). I wanted the one with the nylon strap, but it doesn't seem to be available, so I had to settle for one with a metal bracelet, which is basically a non-issue anyway since I was going to take off the stock strap anyway and alternate Zulus/NATOs on it.

EDIT: Dang, I might be a little pissed, as my impatience comes back to fuck me in the mouth. I guess the one with the bracelet is NOT a matte finish watch, so I have to assume its stainless. Who knows, maybe I'll really like it, but I think I really wanted the matte. Worst thing is, the dealer I initially ordered it for accepted the order before telling me it was out of stock. I assumed since this an older model seiko, it could be weeks, if EVER they get it into stock (you know, like it got phased out and the dealer still had it on the site?) So I cancelled that order and ordered the bracelet model off amazon, only to find out the original dealer got the new stock on RIGHT AFTER I PLACED MY ORDER. So, goddammit, haha.

Ultimately I guess this isn't a big deal, I can always return the one I get and re-order the other one... just adds a whole week or two to the process.

10. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Tempted to get this one next: [​IMG] myke

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

If it's not clear already, mine don't get enough use.

I wouldn't mind a Tuna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. shanker

shanker Well-Known Member

Personally I find the styles pedestrian and monotone, but as long as you like 'em, rock 'em.

13. Augustus Davies

Augustus Davies Senior member

Check out the first picture.
    This picture reminds me of the original owner of Watchnet, he owned 350 Rolex Submariners.

14. Augustus Davies

Augustus Davies Senior member

[​IMG]

So far so good [​IMG]

myke

My Baby Monster.

[​IMG]

15. wesailtheoceanblue

wesailtheoceanblue Active Member

The Seiko/Bond models from Moonraker and Octopussy command good prices on the vintage market.

One Seiko line that may still be underrated and underpriced is the UK MOD-Royal Air Force issue chronograph line--the Generation 1 model from the 1980s/90s in particular.

The solid gold vintage Seiko Lassale ultrathin quartz models are also interesting, but not likely to go much higher than they are now.

16. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Yes, highly under rated including this SNXF01F for about $65.

Twotone

[​IMG]

17. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

I got this Seiko 5 for Christmas and put a shell cordovan band on it. It's my main watch and I dig it. Feel free to laugh at the fact that the band costs twice as much as the watch, ha.

[​IMG]

What Model 5 is this? Love it. Also, what width band can fit on it? Are all Seiko 5's 18mm? The Cordovan looks great. Everything about it works.

18. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Looks like a Seiko SNK381K. Some Seiko 5's have 19mm lugs.

Twotone

What Model 5 is this? Love it. Also, what width band can fit on it? Are all Seiko 5's 18mm? The Cordovan looks great. Everything about it works.

19. YOUgNeek

YOUgNeek New Member

Darn right Seiko Watches are underrated. Wearing the Grand Seiko leaves you with the feeling of being well dressed and comfortable to hop public transportation late at night without being worried about being jumped. Of course you might get jumped for the other stylish accessories you might also have on!

Like the colors?
    [​IMG]