1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The watches on Seiya's website are Japan-only market Seikos. They're not available anywhere else to my knowledge.

2. B2C2V

B2C2V Senior member

Thanks, looks like I will switch the band if I do get it. There is no way to see a Seiko Spirit in person in the States (NYC specifically)? Find it hard to imagine not a single store in NYC carries Seiko Spirit.

As I understand it, it is for JP domestic market. Considering it is quite popular on the forum, some NYC based Forumites might be willing to meet you up to show you.

3. forex

forex Senior member

here is my Seiko,I think it is a good value for the money,I need to switch the strap for something better though,it is shit.This will be my last Seiko though.

[​IMG]

4. why4009

why4009 Senior member

5. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

It's an excellent watch from what I can see. Beautifully simple design.

7. zoorado

zoorado Senior member

Very true, in countries other than Japan. At any price point, a Seiko watch (mechanical or otherwise, but especially mechanical) is extremely good value for the money. The best watches from Seiko (one example from the limited-production Spring Drive Credor line) spot some of the best finish and polish ever to grace the world of haute horlogerie. I'm talking Daniels / Dufour quality. They are also at the forefront of technical innovation, though their efforts in this respect is more geared toward the fundamental improvement in timekeeping, rather than ostentatious pushing the boundaries of complicated watches.

8. vasili_leung

vasili_leung Active Member

The Credor stuff is the match of anything made in Switzerland and their Japan-only stuff is top quality too, much better than their mass produced stuff you see in most US/Australian etc. stores. That's probably the biggest reason why the brand is as underrated as it is, because most people don't see the Credor/Japan-only Seiko quality firsthand, they see only the lesser quality mass produced stuff.

What is a Japan only Seiko? I've read every reply on this thread up to page ten and I see a lot of so called "Asia-only", "Japan-only" 's. Are they really that much better than what you see in stores here in Australia? What exactly are the models that are considered by you guys to be excellent and are not found in the West?

9. zoorado

zoorado Senior member

What is a Japan only Seiko? I've read every reply on this thread up to page ten and I see a lot of so called "Asia-only", "Japan-only" 's. Are they really that much better than what you see in stores here in Australia? What exactly are the models that are considered by you guys to be excellent and are not found in the West?

Credor
    Credor Spring Drive (ultra high-end)
    Grand Seiko
    Ananta

10. Godot

Godot Senior member

I've had two Seikos. One is a ss crono, I bought about 10 years ago and have used as a beater. This thing has taken a lot of abuse and still works great. This is an American Seiko and I 'm very impressed.
    The other Seiko was made for the Asian market and didn't seem to be as well made. I called Seiko USA and tried to conform that it was real and they couldn't tell me anything as it was not a Seiko USA. I donated it to a charity auction.
    Side note, I have heard that Seiko is the worlds largest watch maker. I wouldn't be shocked if the quality varied by country/market. That being said the ones offered here (USA), work as well as their more expensive counterparts.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

They do work as well. Their Japan-only watches are the best of the bunch, however.

12. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Pics of my Seiko 5 Military in beige... I was at J.Crew and noticed some of their striped NATO straps work perfectly with the Seiko. I like how it takes the watch from military look into very prep. Burgundy/Beige Stripe [​IMG] Navy/Beige Stripe [​IMG]

13. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

I recently purchased the seiko 6R15 SCVS013 from Seiya-san and love it. Switched the band for a dark tan croc and shes a beaut.

I would never have been aware of these Japan Seikos had it not been for SF

14. Wu Dynasty

Wu Dynasty Senior member

I recently purchased the seiko 6R15 SCVS013 from Seiya-san and love it. Switched the band for a dark tan croc and shes a beaut.

I would never have been aware of these Japan Seikos had it not been for SF

The SCVS013 is going to be my next watch purchase. It's a beautiful dress watch.

15. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

The SCVS013 is going to be my next watch purchase. It's a beautiful dress watch.

You won't regret it. The pictures on Seiyas site really don't do it justice

16. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

17. postal007

postal007 Senior member

18. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

Here a pic [​IMG]
    And another "Blue Spark": [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

20. mickeymickey

mickeymickey Well-Known Member

I have a Seiko SNK809K2 that I put a whiskey/tan strap on. It's my main watch and I love. I'll probably get another Seiko 5 in the near future. [​IMG]