• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
I own that watch. It's the only watch in my watch box that presently shows the correct time right down to the date. (The others are autos.) One thing to consider: it's smaller than most divers. It caught me by surprise when I acquired it. Very accurate. Nice watch.

Yeah, I've seen how it's smaller, but that's okay. It'll be my new everyday watch (replacing a 12 year old Citizen), so I'm excited to be getting it. Accuracy in a watch is very important to me.

tedjosg2003

Reaction score
Love it or hate it? Seiko Discus Burger, personally I love it
smile.gif
http://home.watchprosite.com/show-fo...ti-399446/s-0/
discus-black-catalog.JPG

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B2C2V
For those US based who bought from from Seiya Japan, could you share your experience on US Customs clearance and Customs duty if any? TIA.

Shipping was amazingly fast and I had no customs issues.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Shipping was amazingly fast and I had no customs issues.

I ordered from Seiya and he shipped amazingly fast:same day. However, my watch got held up in Customs for three days and was eventually released. Got the watch the same day it was released from customs. Not much he could've done to prevent though.

Beta

Reaction score
Im liking my seiko flightmaster chrono for a daily beater watch, i think it was only around $100 so extremely hard to beat...and I wont cry if it gets destroyed at work...can't really be flashing too much around here anyway.

emakris

Reaction score
Some Seiko models are considerably underrated. Seiko is a true "manufacture" in every sense of the word and the company that, in the '70s, almost singlehandedly killed the entire Swiss watch industry. Having said that, the vast majority of Seiko products are mass produced and my personal opinion is that only their Credor line is comparable to the craftsmanship found in most Swiss bands. Exceptional watches indeed but they cost as much as a very good Swiss watch; only the bravest would choose a Credor over, say, an IWC, a Breguet and the like. If I'm not mistaken a couple of Credor models even cost as much as some Jaeger LeCoultre!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Credor stuff is the match of anything made in Switzerland and their Japan-only stuff is top quality too, much better than their mass produced stuff you see in most US/Australian etc. stores. That's probably the biggest reason why the brand is as underrated as it is, because most people don't see the Credor/Japan-only Seiko quality firsthand, they see only the lesser quality mass produced stuff.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
I've been wearing a Seiko 5 Auto for a minute now, and I would say its great for an inexpensive watch with a reliable movement (7S26). It may not be the best by any means, but if you're consistently wearing the watch, then you don't really need to worry about the reserve much at all. I also really like the simplicity of the Arabic numerals on a black dial, which transcends rather nicely into a variety of fits. Mine look like this:
snk381kc-a.jpg
But I'm thinking about flipping the metal strap to something like this:
Day22_SeikoSNK381_Web.jpg
or this:
014.jpg

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Cool!! I have the exact same watch with the black leather band. I love the way it looks. At $80...it can't be beat.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
^^^ Cool!! I have the exact same watch with the black leather band. I love the way it looks. At $80...it can't be beat.
You should post a pic of yours, I'd love to see what kind of band you got going on... or just another shot of the one I posted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads