Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQBaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I own that watch. It's the only watch in my watch box that presently shows the correct time right down to the date. (The others are autos.) One thing to consider: it's smaller than most divers. It caught me by surprise when I acquired it. Very accurate. Nice watch.

Yeah, I've seen how it's smaller, but that's okay. It'll be my new everyday watch (replacing a 12 year old Citizen), so I'm excited to be getting it. Accuracy in a watch is very important to me.

2. BastiaanB

BastiaanB Member

I like the Seiko Monster

3. tedjosg2003

tedjosg2003 Active Member

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

For those US based who bought from from Seiya Japan, could you share your experience on US Customs clearance and Customs duty if any? TIA.

Shipping was amazingly fast and I had no customs issues.

5. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

Shipping was amazingly fast and I had no customs issues.

I ordered from Seiya and he shipped amazingly fast:same day. However, my watch got held up in Customs for three days and was eventually released. Got the watch the same day it was released from customs. Not much he could've done to prevent though.

6. Beta

Beta Senior member

Im liking my seiko flightmaster chrono for a daily beater watch, i think it was only around $100 so extremely hard to beat...and I wont cry if it gets destroyed at work...can't really be flashing too much around here anyway.

7. Beta

Beta Senior member

probably one of the best $200 i've spent....[​IMG]

+1 this is what i have in blue

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The customer service from Seiya-san is truly excellent.

9. heard546

heard546 Senior member

Wrong post

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I like the Seiko Monster

Yes, I do too come to that.

11. emakris

emakris Senior member

Some Seiko models are considerably underrated. Seiko is a true "manufacture" in every sense of the word and the company that, in the '70s, almost singlehandedly killed the entire Swiss watch industry. Having said that, the vast majority of Seiko products are mass produced and my personal opinion is that only their Credor line is comparable to the craftsmanship found in most Swiss bands. Exceptional watches indeed but they cost as much as a very good Swiss watch; only the bravest would choose a Credor over, say, an IWC, a Breguet and the like. If I'm not mistaken a couple of Credor models even cost as much as some Jaeger LeCoultre!

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

The Credor stuff is the match of anything made in Switzerland and their Japan-only stuff is top quality too, much better than their mass produced stuff you see in most US/Australian etc. stores. That's probably the biggest reason why the brand is as underrated as it is, because most people don't see the Credor/Japan-only Seiko quality firsthand, they see only the lesser quality mass produced stuff.

13. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

I've been wearing a Seiko 5 Auto for a minute now, and I would say its great for an inexpensive watch with a reliable movement (7S26). It may not be the best by any means, but if you're consistently wearing the watch, then you don't really need to worry about the reserve much at all. I also really like the simplicity of the Arabic numerals on a black dial, which transcends rather nicely into a variety of fits. Mine look like this: [​IMG] But I'm thinking about flipping the metal strap to something like this: [​IMG] or this: [​IMG]

14. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

^^^

Cool!! I have the exact same watch with the black leather band. I love the way it looks. At $80...it can't be beat.

15. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

^^^ Cool!! I have the exact same watch with the black leather band. I love the way it looks. At $80...it can't be beat.
    You should post a pic of yours, I'd love to see what kind of band you got going on... or just another shot of the one I posted.