• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seigo, NYC

TimMureau

Reaction score
Who is familiar with them?
What is the quality? And what is the price?

Thanks a lot!

Duveen

Reaction score
Do you mean CEGO, as in Carl Goldberg? If so, the info is: http://www.cego.com/3.html Prices are usually in the mid-$100s for good quality fabrics and higher-end construction. If you want a more MTM shirt, costs can go as low as $85-100. Carl also often has great deals on end-bolts, etc. I have a few CEGO shirts and am fairly pleased. Using Carl long distance (from DC) has its limitations, as in-person try-ons are very helpful. Are you in NYC regularly? If so, you should have few problems... The shirts themselves are well-made and nicely cut and Carl is a pleasure to do business with.

musigny

Reaction score
No, I think he means Seigo, on Madison and 90th. Seigo Katsuragawa makes limited edition ties on Japanese kimono looms, and they're quite nice. Each is printed in an edition of eight, and each tie is numbered. Patterns tend to be quite colorful, but you can find classics too if you take the time to look. Most ties are only $80, and they seem to get new designs in every few weeks or so. The bow ties are around $50 and are quite beautiful -- makes you almost wish you actually wore them.

TimMureau

Reaction score
Thanks for the information gentlemen.

The site from Cego looks also good. I think I go check them too when I'm in NYC.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seigo is great little shop. The silks are woven in very limited runs. Less then 10 yards per pattern.
Hand made.

I have not been there in years.
I actually paid full retail for one of his ties.

Carl

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The ties are beautiful, but be warned that the weave is not so tight. I have had some of mine fray after not-too-many wearings.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The ties are beautiful, but be warned that the weave is not so tight. I have had some of mine fray after not-too-many wearings.
Manton (as ive observed from the AA board) is right as usual. But dont tell too many people. Too many investment banker types spending 150-200 per tie at barneys that are not as nice or unique as seigo. Again I agree, be gentle with them!!!!!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with above. Not seven-fold, at least the few I saw.

Seigo color weaves are unique, and very interesting without being crazy or look-at-me eccentric.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I didn't know about Seigo until know - apologies for jumping in with misinformation. I found a cool website on them in Japanese, includes a nice little map: http://www.chaya.co.jp/shop/seigo/seigo.html

That map is awesome!
laugh.gif

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The ties and pocket squares are designed by the owner, and they are excellent and unique.

Seigo recently opened a ladies store down the block.

I recommend them.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Please dont reveal the seigo secret to too many folks. Its a tasteful, elegant lovely shop. Dont ruin it. The reason I shop there is so i dont look like the typical bankers and wall streeters who are churned out en masse by the barney's sales staff. Seigo is for folks who dont want to look like all the other expensively dressed upper east side "stepford dudes" Over stylizized with ill fitting, albeit expensive taste. See, Barneys above. PS for the overly sensative- this is a tounge and cheek post!!!
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Please dont reveal the seigo secret to too many folks. Its a tasteful, elegant lovely shop. Dont ruin it. The reason I shop there is so i dont look like the typical bankers and wall streeters who are churned out en masse by the barney's sales staff.

Seigo is for folks who dont want to look like all the other expensively dressed upper east side "stepford dudes" Over stylizized with ill fitting, albeit expensive taste. See, Barneys above.

Pretty arrogant dude. Thanks for looking down on myself and half of this city with your sweeping generalities
plain.gif

kbuzz

Reaction score
Its a joke man.......guess i will put up some emotion icons....come on have a sense of humour. It was done in the spirit of praise for seigo.

PS I like the Ari quote

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads