• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker suits and suit separates

mg428

Reaction score
Do you guys own a seersucker suit or suit separates?

On one hand I am not fond of seersucker, on the other hand, unlike many wool or cotton suits, I think that jackets and trousers of seersucker suits can be easily worn separately with other stuff. And when needed as a suit, you can wear them both with white bucks.

So it seems that seersucker suit is a good investment. What do you think?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Do you guys own a seersucker suit or suit separates?

On one hand I am not fond of seersucker, on the other hand, unlike many wool or cotton suits, I think that jackets and trousers of seersucker suits can be easily worn separately with other stuff. And when needed as a suit, you can wear them both with white bucks.

So it seems that seersucker suit is a good investment. What do you think?

paulfrederick.com on sale and make up your mind after that samll investment

trailer36

Reaction score
or, drive yourself to the nearest target and get the jacket and trousers. they sell both as separates and the fit is surprisingly slim and modern in both the trousers and the jacket. I just bought both for a grand total of $85 and couldnt find a better fitting or looking seersucker suit anywhere else, regardless of price.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make sure your seersucker is as unlined as possible. It's reprehensible how many low-cost seersucker suits are fully lined with 100% polyester.

h4zin

Reaction score
can you please explain the difference between unlined and fully lined?

im thinking about getting the seersucker blazer at Paul Frederick on sale... think that is a good one?

also, what kind of pants can you wear with a seersucker blazer besides matching trousers?

thanks a lot. this forum is great, im learning so much already

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined means the jacket doesn't have a separate fabric on the inside. More fabric, especially polyester, means that the seersucker won't actually help cool you off like it's supposed to.

I don't know about the paul frederick, you might call and ask them. BTW make sure they have your size in all the separates you want, because they didn't have mine.

As to what else you can wear the seersucker jacket with-- khaki, stone, navy. I personally wouldn't do charcoal/brown/black.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That one is fully lined, and the lining material is not stated. I'd pass.

mg428

Reaction score
what about the ones from brooks brothers?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket of the Brooks suit I had was fully lined in rayon. (I think the trousers were unlined but I don't remember for sure.)

I ordered a Haspel from STP at one point but returned it. In its favor, it was unlined. In other respects I preferred the Brooks. For the price though it is hard to complain about the Haspel. Next time I get a seersucker I will probably go with O'Connell's.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have a seersucker suit in the classic blue, and odd trousers in red (I would never get a suit in that, but they work well as go-to-hell pants). I never wear my suit jacket as a separate. Maybe I should.

poelow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trailer36
or, drive yourself to the nearest target and get the jacket and trousers. they sell both as separates and the fit is surprisingly slim and modern in both the trousers and the jacket. I just bought both for a grand total of $85 and couldnt find a better fitting or looking seersucker suit anywhere else, regardless of price.

I am seriously considering this option. For something I might wear 3-5 times during the summertime only, and that is inherently casual, it seems to make sense.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
classic blue, and odd trousers in red.
Pair the jacket with the odd trousers; very go-to-hell . I often mix grey and khaki SS, but then I've nothing to lose.
blush.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Pair the jacket with the odd trousers; very go-to-hell . I often mix grey and khaki SS, but then I've nothing to lose.
blush.gif

Hmmm, probably too bold for me, at least for now.

So far, the red pants have only been worn with a solid blue odd jacket, or no jacket. The blue seer sucker jacket I suppose could be worn with khakis, cream linen or gab, or white flannels. I just haven't done it. I think I will, though ...

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trailer36

I have one of these, and they actually fit well. They have a tighter seersucker pattern that has gotten me many compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics