• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker in England

BareSolid

Reaction score
Would I get roughed up? Would I be having my collar felt? Would the flap of white coats be in earshot?

Or would I just get some quizzical looks?

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Perhaps you could justify it by explaining that you have just come back from the Raj.

OK I do have a few 'dusky' looking mates.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Hasn't Holdfast worn a seersucker suit (or jacket) before in WAYWN? Edit: Yep

LeonM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by larsrindsig
Hasn't Holdfast worn a seersucker suit (or jacket) before in WAYWN?

Edit: Yep

HF is a man in a white coat!

Leon

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Haspels on STP? They're practically giving those suckers away right now.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current Gucci ad has a pretty young girl in a seersucker jacket and shorts. Is that the look you are going for?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've even seen ice cream sellers wearing seersucker here. I've only ever seen a few seersucker items for sale, always very heavily discounted. I think uniqlo had some jackets last summer.
It is a funny time to be thinking about seersucker anyway...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a nice seersucker as much as the next guy but it is not the time of year to be wearing one.

pendragon

Reaction score
You would gain instant entry into the upper class twit of the year contest.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Looking at the Haspels on STP? They're practically giving those suckers away right now.

That's what I was looking at. I shall be at University by the time I wear it (next summer) so I should be able to get away with it, no? Surely it'll look better than Jack Wills' hoodies...

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
You would gain instant entry into the upper class twit of the year contest.

I am working-class, and you can't get out of that without changing your accent.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
HF is a man in a white coat!

Right. And even I would think twice about wearing it in other cities.
smile.gif

One can get away with a lot of eccentric looks in Oxford in summer. Other places, perhaps not so much.

I sense the OP has had enough of the wintry weather, if his mind is turning to seersucker in December.
smile.gif

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a seersucker jacket, I have to admit it only gets worn very occasionally but I like it enough that I don't regret the purchase. If your uni is quite southerly you might find some use for it, where I was in Scotland.. not so much.
I think seersucker is slowly becoming more common in the UK, as someone pointed out the dreaded Jack Wills had a few items last summer and I seem to think I have seen them elsewhere too. I wouldn't be surprised if they started turning up again next summer, but only get one if you really want one, they are not that useful.

On a slight aside, don't dress too smartly for uni, yes by all means wear a jacket when the weather or occasion calls for it but you will have to look very natural in your smarter clothes, or work out how to wear them very casually otherwise you will become "the suit guy".
You can wear almost anything to university with impunity.. unless you come across as too fuddy-duddy or old mannish and being very smartly dressed the hole time will do this. A few people I know made this work for them, most people I saw dressed like that didn't.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I have a seersucker jacket, I have to admit it only gets worn very occasionally but I like it enough that I don't regret the purchase. If your uni is quite southerly you might find some use for it, where I was in Scotland.. not so much.
I think seersucker is slowly becoming more common in the UK, as someone pointed out the dreaded Jack Wills had a few items last summer and I seem to think I have seen them elsewhere too. I wouldn't be surprised if they started turning up again next summer, but only get one if you really want one, they are not that useful.

On a slight aside, don't dress too smartly for uni, yes by all means wear a jacket when the weather or occasion calls for it but you will have to look very natural in your smarter clothes, or work out how to wear them very casually otherwise you will become "the suit guy".
You can wear almost anything to university with impunity.. unless you come across as too fuddy-duddy or old mannish and being very smartly dressed the hole time will do this. A few people I know made this work for them, most people I saw dressed like that didn't.

Don't worry I've been before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads