1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seersucker Double Vented Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archibaldleach, Jan 28, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Hi All,

I've been mulling over buying a seersucker suit for a couple of years and have finally decided I'd like to buy one. The only problem is most of the seersucker I see comes with single vented jackets. Nothing against these on other people but I just don't think single vents look good on me. Are there double vented seersucker makes that won't break the bank or will I have much better luck if I'm able to get over this hatred of single vents? I am sure I could get Joe Hemrajani to make me something if I was willing to spend more but I don't want to pay more than $400-$500 for something of this sort. Seersucker just seems somewhat disposable and it feels wrong to pay a significant sum for this. Maybe when I have 20 suits and every odd jacket I'd ever want but not right now.

If it helps, I'm around a 39-Short jacket size and 32 waist.

Thanks all,

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Good luck with your search (consider this post a bump to get more views/advice!)

What I would say is that while I almost universally prefer double-vented jackets (up to & including for dinner jackets, despite many people's preference for unvented there), I would still not want double-vented seersucker. It just seems so very contrary to the essential nature of the beast.

But as I started off by saying, good luck with your search & I hope someone has some leads for you to chase, if you really want this variant.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Easiest way to find a double vented seersucker suit is to look at double-breasted options. Though I will caution that DB seersucker is pretty rare.

You are correct to not have something made up in cotton.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I bought mine from Saks Fifth Avenue's own label two years and it has a double vent. The retail price was high, but I waited for a couple of markdowns. Maybe they'll be selling a similarly-styled seersucker suit this year? I think mine was made by Jack Victor (made in Canada).

5. OTM

OTM Senior member

Hey!

Just to let you know, they are out there!

I was lucky enough to find this today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350700299046

With a little TLC from my altercationist, I should be able to live in it all (brief) summer!

6. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I actually just acquired a double breasted, double vented seersucker jacket from our very own B&S. It's at the cleaners and then my alterations lady for some minor surgery.

7. RJE

RJE Senior member

Your profile gives you a 35" waist, and the trousers are 33" with 1" to let out - that really will be an altercation!

8. OTM

OTM Senior member

Well spotted!

It will be easier to just change my profile, don't you think?

9. stant62

stant62 Senior member

I was going to mention a cheap MTM shop would be your best option if you wanted single breasted double vent but it looks like you found what you wanted already.

10. driftking

driftking Well-Known Member

Haspel makes a double vent seersucker suit in light blue, dark blue and red stripes. I bought the dark blue at Nordstrom a few years ago. The cost was $295.00. I still have not worn it. And I don't know it I ever will. I'm in San Francisco and I've attended outdoor luncheons down the peninsula on hot days
    and I usually wear slacks and a sport coat.
    I really don't think it's for me. Tagged 38s pants are cuffed at about 30". Make an offer if you want it.

11. archibaldleach

Thanks for the suggestions and comments all. I think I'm definitely in a better place to continue my search and will be sure to report back once I've found something (or caved and bought the BB Fitzgerald single-vent option when it goes on sale for like $300).

12. archibaldleach

I may have found a solution here.

I went into Brooks Brothers today to try on some recently made MTM garments. I spoke with one of the sales associates who said that they could do a double vented seersucker in the Regent model via a custom order from their suiting essentials program. The Regent model fits me almost perfectly in a 40S off the rack, so I'm thinking this may end up being the way to go. Quoted price was $600 but I am told they'll discount this during their normal semi-annual sale, so I could end up with the seersucker suit I want for around $450. I'm in the June no purchase club and think I've probably spent a bit much on clothes, but this is definitely going to be on the list for next summer unless I find a better option.

My understanding is the Suiting Essentials line is inferior to the 1818 line, but I'm not sure how much I should care about certain construction details in what is a relatively cheap suit to knock around in during the summer. Quality is probably still better than Haspel and this one will have a better fit and more ideal styling choices.

13. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Interesting, I might try this out. Thanks.