Seersucker Double Vented Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archibaldleach, Jan 28, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Hi All,

I've been mulling over buying a seersucker suit for a couple of years and have finally decided I'd like to buy one. The only problem is most of the seersucker I see comes with single vented jackets. Nothing against these on other people but I just don't think single vents look good on me. Are there double vented seersucker makes that won't break the bank or will I have much better luck if I'm able to get over this hatred of single vents? I am sure I could get Joe Hemrajani to make me something if I was willing to spend more but I don't want to pay more than $400-$500 for something of this sort. Seersucker just seems somewhat disposable and it feels wrong to pay a significant sum for this. Maybe when I have 20 suits and every odd jacket I'd ever want but not right now.

If it helps, I'm around a 39-Short jacket size and 32 waist.

Thanks all,

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Good luck with your search (consider this post a bump to get more views/advice!)

What I would say is that while I almost universally prefer double-vented jackets (up to & including for dinner jackets, despite many people's preference for unvented there), I would still not want double-vented seersucker. It just seems so very contrary to the essential nature of the beast.

But as I started off by saying, good luck with your search & I hope someone has some leads for you to chase, if you really want this variant.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Easiest way to find a double vented seersucker suit is to look at double-breasted options. Though I will caution that DB seersucker is pretty rare.

You are correct to not have something made up in cotton.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I bought mine from Saks Fifth Avenue's own label two years and it has a double vent. The retail price was high, but I waited for a couple of markdowns. Maybe they'll be selling a similarly-styled seersucker suit this year? I think mine was made by Jack Victor (made in Canada).

5. OTM

OTM Senior member

Hey!

Just to let you know, they are out there!

I was lucky enough to find this today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350700299046

With a little TLC from my altercationist, I should be able to live in it all (brief) summer!

6. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

I actually just acquired a double breasted, double vented seersucker jacket from our very own B&S. It's at the cleaners and then my alterations lady for some minor surgery.

7. RJE

RJE Senior member

Your profile gives you a 35" waist, and the trousers are 33" with 1" to let out - that really will be an altercation!

8. OTM

OTM Senior member

Well spotted!

It will be easier to just change my profile, don't you think?

9. stant62

stant62 Senior member

I was going to mention a cheap MTM shop would be your best option if you wanted single breasted double vent but it looks like you found what you wanted already.

10. driftking

driftking Well-Known Member

Haspel makes a double vent seersucker suit in light blue, dark blue and red stripes. I bought the dark blue at Nordstrom a few years ago. The cost was $295.00. I still have not worn it. And I don't know it I ever will. I'm in San Francisco and I've attended outdoor luncheons down the peninsula on hot days
    and I usually wear slacks and a sport coat.
    I really don't think it's for me. Tagged 38s pants are cuffed at about 30". Make an offer if you want it.

11. archibaldleach

Thanks for the suggestions and comments all. I think I'm definitely in a better place to continue my search and will be sure to report back once I've found something (or caved and bought the BB Fitzgerald single-vent option when it goes on sale for like $300).

12. archibaldleach

I may have found a solution here.

I went into Brooks Brothers today to try on some recently made MTM garments. I spoke with one of the sales associates who said that they could do a double vented seersucker in the Regent model via a custom order from their suiting essentials program. The Regent model fits me almost perfectly in a 40S off the rack, so I'm thinking this may end up being the way to go. Quoted price was $600 but I am told they'll discount this during their normal semi-annual sale, so I could end up with the seersucker suit I want for around $450. I'm in the June no purchase club and think I've probably spent a bit much on clothes, but this is definitely going to be on the list for next summer unless I find a better option.

My understanding is the Suiting Essentials line is inferior to the 1818 line, but I'm not sure how much I should care about certain construction details in what is a relatively cheap suit to knock around in during the summer. Quality is probably still better than Haspel and this one will have a better fit and more ideal styling choices.

13. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Interesting, I might try this out. Thanks.