1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Seersucker at STP and SYMS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdawson808, Apr 17, 2006.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member

Nicely done, Bob. I went to Syms last week to check them out. Sizing was all over the place, truly bizarre. I ended up passing because the closest, a 38S would have cost more in tailoring than I want to spend. It's not a lot of money, but taking in the waist and back, lengthening the sleeves, and finishing the trousers is, what, at least $50-$75? Then the suit costs $200, still a pretty good deal, but...

Can seersucker sleeves be lengthened without leaving evidence?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

As for the colors, Jo. A Bank has seersucker in pink, blue, brown, purple (?), and yellow, I think. Nice colors but JAB, so ech at another $100. bob
    Do you, or does anyone else, know how good the JAB trousers are, and how full they are cut? I've been so far unable to find the right seersucker odd trousers. Doc, good point. I hadn't thought of that, but I imagine it would leave a mark. Makes me even happier with my decision.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I've been so far unable to find the right seersucker odd trousers.
    I saw that STP had some seersucker odd trousers from Riviera in the latest catalog I got. If I recall they were a linen/cotton blend, which would be nice. Haven't done a search on the website.

Edit: Here they are.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

This is not a ton of help, but either Nordstrom Rack, Syms, or FB (all in Towson Md) had a huge rack of Nautica odd seersucker trousers.

I have a pair I bought a couple years ago in a "relaxed" fit. They are friggin' huge. The seat of them is just enormous. I didn't look at these though since I was on a mission to get the Haspel at Syms and that was our last stop.

bob

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I tried on some of the Nautica at Filene's Basement, and they were okay, but only 30" long. Wearable, but a little short for me. The Riviera look interesting.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member

I tried on some of the Nautica at Filene's Basement, and they were okay, but only 30" long. Wearable, but a little short for me. The Riviera look interesting.

I tried on some Nautica seersucker too, but it seemed very heavily fused. Odd, considering the material and season it is made for. The Haspel was much lighter.

7. psycho1964

psycho1964 Member

My first entry on the Forum!

Bought a b/w ss at Sym's (downtown Manhattan) yesterday ($119 but on sale for Fathers day for $99). 3 button, flat front. I am a pretty perfect 44R so the jacket was fine. Wanted the seat tailored a little bit, but the tailor said part of the use of ss is to allow air to flow so he suggested do nothing to the seat.

Will be going to Saratoga for the ponies this summer and will be ready!

8. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

I saw that STP had some seersucker odd trousers from Riviera in the latest catalog I got. If I recall they were a linen/cotton blend, which would be nice. Haven't done a search on the website.

Edit: Here they are.

I actually have one of these. I think it's really great, except that it's not "real" seersucker. First, the stripes are about only as half as wide as the normal seersucker, and second, the 50/50 linen/cotton blend makes the fabric softer to the touch, and doesn't feel like seersucker in the normal sense. I personally think it feels better (it's not as cool to the touch, but it is very comfortable when worn). So I like it a lot, but if you're going for the real seersucker trouser, this won't be it. I recommend it highly to everyone, though.