• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker at a Southern beach wedding

MrBorland

Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding in mid-September on the NC coast. It'll be an outdoor 5:30pm wedding, and indoor reception. As weddings go, it sounds relatively casual, as the invitation notes "tie optional".

I'd like to wear a seersucker suit. Bad idea? On one hand, seersucker seems appropriate for an outdoor southern (technically summer) event, but on the other, many feel seersucker shouldn't be worn after 5:30pm, and definitely not to a wedding if it draws attention (when the bride should be the center of attention). Thoughts?

amlemus

Reaction score
As someone that's worked in the wedding industry and seen my fair share of great (and not so great) wedding fashion, I'd say your hesitance is well deserved. I love the idea of seersucker at weddings; however, it's one of those items where you really need to feel out the crowd if you're going to pull it off without too many judging looks from other guests. You're absolutely correct in that a guest's clothing choices should not overshadow those of the bride and/or groom, unless more showy wardrobe choices are expected of the guests anyways. If you're hesitant to choose seersucker for this wedding, trust your gut and leave it at home.

Seersucker seems more like a morning/brunch/outdoor event type of look to me. At a wedding, it might stand out a bit more than it would otherwise. Once the sun goes down, it's going to stand out even more so at a wedding reception, possibly more in the realm of someone that showed up to the wrong event.

I hope this helps

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, the chance that any male wedding guest will steal the spotlight from the bride is slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Second, the depressing fact that some men will show up to this wedding in Dockers and polo shirts, if not cargo shorts, must not deter you from showing proper respect for the event by wearing your best attire.

Third, there is nothing remotely ostentatious about a seersucker suit at a summer wedding in the South at the beach. It is, in fact, the perfect balance of formal and informal that the event and venue suggest.

Fourth, a wedding billed as “tie optional” is not likely to invite censure on someone wearing seersucker after six, which at any rate is a tired trope.

Finally, anyone who feels put out by your good taste and Southern charm is welcome to stuff their sour attitude in the fifth pocket of their cargo shorts. While they are busy with that, you will be dancing with all the bridesmaids.

Last edited:

amlemus

Reaction score
Your first point is a fair one, Max. In most cases, you'd be completely correct. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I've seen the bride outshone by guests of both genders on several occasions already. More often than not, it's a combination of dress and demeanor that draws the eyes from the bride.

There's no doubt that MrBorland would don his seersucker with aplomb amongst the rest of the guests. However, I still hold reservations about the outfit as attire that bridges between the afternoon and evening. To each their own, I say.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your first point is a fair one, Max. In most cases, you'd be completely correct. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I've seen the bride outshone by guests of both genders on several occasions already. More often than not, it's a combination of dress and demeanor that draws the eyes from the bride.

There's no doubt that MrBorland would don his seersucker with aplomb amongst the rest of the guests. However, I still hold reservations about the outfit as attire that bridges between the afternoon and evening. To each their own, I say.

Wedding attire, like all menswear today, has become so degraded that we who still care are really just whistling past the graveyard. I would certainly not wear seersucker to a formal evening wedding in a church, followed by a ballroom reception. But given the daytime beach venue (allowing that the reception will stretch into evening) and the informal dress suggestion, I would think seersucker is fine.

MrBorland

Reaction score
More excellent input.

I should clarify my comment that the wedding might be "relatively casual" because it's "tie optional": I know the bride and groom and am friends with one set of parents. All are highly-educated professionals, and have no doubt it'll be a nice classy, but not stuffy, affair. I suspect "tie optional" was there as a courtesy for those who might be concerned an outdoor southern beach wedding would otherwise be uncomfortably hot (the reception will be indoors, btw). Seersucker or not, I fully intend to wear a well-fitted suit and tie.

Regarding the suit in question, I should mention the suit is seersucker-ish, but not bona fide seersucker. I attached a photo of the jacket. I'd wear a white dress shirt with it, and, rather than a bow tie, opt for a silk necktie instead. Possibly tan penny loafers.

At this point, my biggest hesitation now is the time of day. As mentioned, the majority of the event is too late in the day to traditionally wear seersucker. But is this something anyone would even know and care about nowadays? Yes, folks on this forum do and would, but I wonder if it'd be an issue elsewhere. At least one well-respected member of this forum feels the "no seersucker after 6 is tired trope :cool2:.

seersucker.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. I say wear it. I would probably go for a knitted silk tie, and maybe lace-up shoes rather than loafers.

amlemus

Reaction score
Given the new info on the event, I'd say go ahead with the seersucker. It looks nice and the tighter pattern makes it appear sharper from a distance. Have a great time at the wedding!

MrBorland

Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent input, folks. The wedding isn't for a few weeks, but I'll report back - maybe even with a pic :cool:

MrB

MrBorland

Reaction score
1D507A4D-4E56-4A83-9A5F-5F7879F34547.jpeg
Well, Hurricane Florence put the kibosh on the wedding. Since it’s our last chance to wear fancy summer clothes, we went to dinner instead. Here’s what I would have worn ;)....

(note: the belt isn’t nearly as dark as it appears)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads