• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking Suggestions re: Changing Color of Buttonhole Stitching

dadofelma

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Occasional reader, first time poster. I recently bought a light/medium blue suit jacket with dark blue, white, and very thin yellow highlighting (in a windowpane-like design). See below (only the full shot is close to "true color"). I intend to pair it with a number of pairs of grey dress slacks that I own, and it is not for "formal" business occasions, appearances in court, etc., but instead for internal (non-client) meetings, work lunches with colleagues, etc.

Unfortunately, in a moment of terrible judgment, I did not tell the folks making the suit jacket to go with button- and lapel-hole stitching subtler than the super bright yellow you see below. Unless folks think the yellow stitching looks nice (and I'm open to all opinions), I think it is very tacky, and I want to change it. I have 2-3 questions:

1) I don't like the yellow but I wouldn't want to do something that would make the jacket unwearable. I spoke to a tailor on the phone today who said it wouldn't be a problem to re-stitch these holes once, but doing it two or more times may risk damage. I'm curious for others' thoughts/experiences on re-stitching holes.

2) If I do re-stitch, what color do folks recommend? My current ideas are (1) match the stitching on the other buttonholes if possible, but try to avoid something that is close, but not exactly like, the other holes (uncanny valley); or (2) go with a blue that is just a shade darker than the main light/medium blue for a very subtle contrast.

3) If folks have other outside-the-box suggestions to "fix the problem," I'm all ears.

I apologize for the crappy photos below--this jacket is actually across the country from me (at my parents' place), and I ordered it in anticipation of moving and starting a new job (wanted to refresh my wardrobe, etc.). Thank you all so much for sage advice!

Full jacket perspective (this is pretty close to the true color of the light/medium blue, maybe a bit more washed out than reality):
Jacket (close to true color).png

Sleeve (not true color--the light/medium blue is not this denim/washed-out looking, but the yellow is pretty spot on):
Sleeve (not true color).jpg

Lapel (ouch--yellow so bright, rest of jacket appears darker than it is in reality):
Lapel (not quite true color).jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can just re-do those holes with the same light blue as the other holes, that is fine. I am an amateur, but I am not surprised that they can redo those holes, but repeatedly redoing them would likely put a lot of stress on the fabric.

The middle shot of the 4 buttons indicates the blue they used was ideal.

dadofelma

Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate that. I would also be grateful, if you have a spare moment, for what would you consider doing (color wise) if I cannot get thread that is aesthetically identical to the same light blue used on the other holes. The garment was manufactured out of the country, so shipping it back isn't very feasible. I'm hoping a tailor will have enough thread in enough colors so that there's something "close enough," but it would be good to have thoughts on a backup option. Again, thank you--appreciate the response!

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you will be fine with light blue - if this were purple or magenta, it might be a different story.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restitching should not be a problem.

Definitly have the lapel button hole redone. Its incredibly bright in that yellow. I would have them do the lapel in as close to that fabric match light blue as possible.

If you don't want to risk having a different light blue on the sleeve compared to the other light blues you could either
A) have them all redone
B) Put in a midblue contrast.

dadofelma

Reaction score
Restitching should not be a problem.

Definitly have the lapel button hole redone. Its incredibly bright in that yellow. I would have them do the lapel in as close to that fabric match light blue as possible.

If you don't want to risk having a different light blue on the sleeve compared to the other light blues you could either
A) have them all redone
B) Put in a midblue contrast.
Thanks for your thoughts--glad to hear you think restitching won't be a problem. Yeah, that yellow is ridiculous; I'm a little confused as to why I forgot to violently reject that color when I was discussing the jacket with the folks at the place I get my suits. I was thinking about a mid-blue contrast (maybe depending on what kind of light blue thread the tailor has), so it's nice to hear that you think that would look OK.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads