• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking Shoe Repair Advice: CT/Loake Brown Calf Semi Brogue

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
So I put on my new pair of CT/Loake brown calf semi-brogue today. After wearing them for a few hours, I felt a tiny pebble inside, so I took the shoe off, shook the little pebble out, and then when I was putting it back on, I heard a TWACK sound.

The tongue was pushed in. I looked into the shoe and found that the piece of stiching that connects the upper part of the tongue to one side of the upper broke!

Ooooooh...
frown.gif

It seems there isn't much of a functional problem with the tongue flapping about since it is cinched down well by the laces, but I wondered whether this is something a cobbler can fix in a short order and how much this type of repair usually costs. That's perhaps less of a hassle than sending them back to CT in the UK, no?

BTW, I looked at the other shoe, and I noticed that the same piece of switching was beginning to loosen as well. I guess I got what I paid for ($85 during that crazy sale).
confused.gif

In all the years of wearing moderately priced shoes (mostly Johnston and Murphy, Polo and Barney's house brand), this never happened before.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some English manufacturers attach the tongue on one side, others do not; Italians never do.

Wear your shoes for a while, the tongue might not go for walkabouts. That is more of a problem with boots, as the tongue has more mileage to move. If there is a problem, you can always put a thread-loop on the upper side of the tongue. (Rather like a belt loop. The laces go underneath the loop at one point, keeping the tongue in the centre.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads