• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking shoe advice

Mikael

Reaction score
About to embark on what will most likely be a lifelong journey of shoe appreciation, but just wanted to double-check with the infinite collective intelligence on SF:

I need two pairs of shoes for everyday work use. I have five suits: 3 x charcoal (two pinstripe, one plain), 1 x herringbone navy , 1 x black-pinstripey-thingy. So, the other pair will probably be black, but for the seconds pair, what shade of brown would work best with the navy and the charcoals?

Also, based on the threads I've been devouring during the last couple of weeks, thinking of buying Loake through Herringshoes. However, most of their brown leathers look a bit boring, was maybe looking for something a bit more "elegant".

Thanks in advance.

PS. First post here, yey...

PPS. I wish I'd found SF years ago, because IT IS AMAZING
bounce2.gif

kraftar

Reaction score
I'd actually go with an oxblood/burgundy shoe which should match the navy and charcoal suits.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark brown would work with all of them, I think you could go to a medium brown with the navy as well. Too light a brown doesn't look the best with charcoal in my opinion.

QuestForReason

Reaction score
Chocolate brown looks great with charcoal and navy. They're also dark enough that you can get away with them in the evening (sometimes).

Mikael

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.

Ended up ordering the Loake Aldwych in black and the Loake Knightsbridge in dark brown.

Next up, a pair of C&Js in a nice shade of brown...

GBer

Reaction score
Depends on how dark your charcoal is. IMO, the brown shoes should be darker than the charcoal suit.

Have you thought about the design/ pattern of the shoes with the pinstripes? Sometimes I believe a heavily brogued shoe is too much to go with it. What do you guys say?

Mikael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Depends on how dark your charcoal is. IMO, the brown shoes should be darker than the charcoal suit.

I think the Loake Knightstbridge in dark brown is quite on par or darker than my three charcoals: http://is.gd/eLj8Q

Originally Posted by GBer
Have you thought about the design/ pattern of the shoes with the pinstripes? Sometimes I believe a heavily brogued shoe is too much to go with it. What do you guys say?

It may be that I just have an unrefined taste, but for some reason I don't like heavily punched shoes, let alone wingtips. Even though I read it on SF somewhere that the Knightsbridge may crease sorrily for lack of toecap, I think it strikes a fine balance of minimalistic decoration.

GBer

Reaction score
For pinstripes, I prefer a simpler design than wingtips. But that's my taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads